Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > Club Forums > R/C Racers 4 Christ
Christianity is too full of nit pickers >

Christianity is too full of nit pickers

Christianity is too full of nit pickers

Old 04-16-2005, 02:26 AM
Tech Adept

Default Christianity is too full of nit pickers

I have recently started reading "The Message" version of the Bible from start to finish. Then today I got an email from http://www.prophecyupdate.com/ that basically said the Message was wrong because The Message was just Eugene Pattersons thoughts on what God said. I have also heard that The Message is more accurate to the real meaning of the original.

This got me thinking, there is a problem with Christianity today:

There are too many opinions.

Now I understand if a group is totally wrong (ie the Mormons of the Jehovah's witnesses) real Christians should oppose it. But picking the specks out of fellow believer's eyes is just counterproductive to our Great Commision.

I personally believe that God has created different types of (real) Churches to cater for different personaity types. I mean if all the world were Catholic I think I'd have to start my own reformation

I believe that:
1)Jesus is GOD and is part of the Holy Trinity (Father, Son & Holy Spirit).
2) That Jesus Died for our sins.
3) and that once Jesus was dead that He rose from the dead and ascended to heaven.

I also believe we are saved by faith through grace, not by works...

So I really don't think nit picking small points does anything more than confuse potential Christians (I mean sometimes these guys confuse me) and Christians alike.

What do you guys think?
Old 04-16-2005, 08:46 AM

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Agreed!

I also like "The Message." I found it very useful in understanding Romans. The Message isn't my only Bible, but I do enjoy it and go to it from time to time.

Another guy who is getting rocks thrown at him who has been so helpful in current Christianity is Rick Warren. I get bummed when people speak all sorts of bad stuff about "The Purpose Driven Life" because he quotes "The Message" and other translations.

The Purpose Driven Life has helped so many Christians and Churches. I highly recommend it.

Cmotif <><
Old 04-17-2005, 08:06 PM
Tech Adept

Default Re: Agreed!

Originally posted by Cmotif
I also like "The Message." I found it very useful in understanding Romans. The Message isn't my only Bible, but I do enjoy it and go to it from time to time.

Another guy who is getting rocks thrown at him who has been so helpful in current Christianity is Rick Warren. I get bummed when people speak all sorts of bad stuff about "The Purpose Driven Life" because he quotes "The Message" and other translations.

The Purpose Driven Life has helped so many Christians and Churches. I highly recommend it.

Cmotif <><
That's right, I agree with you there. The same article I was talking about picked on Rick Warren too. In my view, if someone is making people come to Christ and improving Christians walk with God must be doing something right.
Old 04-18-2005, 10:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

A very GOD fearing man and Pastor told me once, GOD bless all denomitations and Pastors...They are called by GOD to do his will.
Well most are and should be treated as Brothers because you know know what they will be in Heaven too. I think that is where all this denomitational division junk is coming from...
I love the work Rick Warren is doing. I don't completely agree with everything he says...Same goes with John McCarther...Both are great and wonderful teachers...But I don't agree with everthing they teach...
GOD called us all to be Bereans...which means we are to go into the scriptures our selves to get taught the WORD of GOD....that is the reason we even have a HOLY SPIRIT living in us. So that He can teach us and lead us.
Another very close brother in Christ told me never rely on a Pastor on Sunday to teach you, GOD called you to get taught daily in your own time and with the help of the HS you are to be learning and reading. Sunday should be more of a dessert of the Word....so to speak.
Remeber we are called to do what HE has called us to do. We are not to be goats but lambs...to not follow a Pastor but the MASTER.
Sorry Pastors...Just what GOD has shown me since my last Pastor became Colt like. I FOLLOW MY MASTER.....JESUS
Hope this helps anyone who is confused to what we are to be doing as children of GOD....
Stephen <><

Last edited by Cmotif; 04-18-2005 at 04:54 PM.
Old 04-19-2005, 12:50 AM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by Mr. Shookie
....that is the reason we even have a HOLY SPIRIT living in us. So that He can teach us and lead us. <><
Or as my mum says:

"God gave you a brain, use it."

Yeah, I agree with you Stephen. Sometimes people say things and you just know they are wrong. You can't quite put a finger on it at times, but you know it's wrong. Holy Spirit talkin' time. I call it.

My mother use to live in a place where there were two type of children (when she was young) the catholics and the protestants. My mum and her friends use to make up rhymes and songs about the catholics (and visa versa). But my grandfather told her:

"You listen to me. There will be just as many catholics in heaven as protestants."

He was sorta ahead of his time I think.
Old 04-21-2005, 08:55 AM

Nit-picking is so uncool.

I don't know how many times I have met people and the first thing they want to do is find out about what I believe as a Christian, only so that they can size me up and start trying to argue with me where my Christianity doesn't match with theirs.

Example: Calvinism debate, which Bible translation to use, Whether one has to speak in tongues or not.

I know what I believe on all these issues and I don't think that it is worth fighting over. When someone starts getting all hot and heavy on those I will back off and go with statements where we are in agreement.

The body of Christ doesn't need to be divided.

There is a brother that I can't hardly talk to because every talk he wants to convince me that King James is the only Bible that I can use. I happen to use New American Standard, New International, New Living Bible and The Message.

Cmotif <><
Old 04-21-2005, 10:23 PM
Tech Adept

There is a brother that I can't hardly talk to because every talk he wants to convince me that King James is the only Bible that I can use. I happen to use New American Standard, New International, New Living Bible and The Message.

Cmotif <><
Ah the good ol' King James version. If someone has the opinion that they should only use the King James version they should really start learning greek and hebrew and get the orginal versions. I knew this guy once who use to read the hebrew version of the old testament in church just to see what the original feel/meaning of the text is (BTW he is not a bad guy in fact he is more the type that would read all versions of the bible).

The plain and simple fact is that unless you can understand the orginal meaning of the orginal texts yourself, you cannot critises one translation over the other. Anyone who has learnt more than one language can tell you that translations sometimes differ slightly, but are still correct. It all depends on the feeling, context and so on.
Old 04-22-2005, 08:36 AM

I was very happy with the NASB New American Standard. When I was at Bible College and Seminary, my friends who were taking Greek would have to translate passages they did not recognize from Greek. Once they translated it, they matched it up with different translations. They were always closest to NASB.

Cmotif <><
Old 04-23-2005, 01:05 AM
Tech Adept

I was very happy with the NASB New American Standard. When I was at Bible College and Seminary, my friends who were taking Greek would have to translate passages they did not recognize from Greek. Once they translated it, they matched it up with different translations. They were always closest to NASB.

Cmotif <><
Which is cool because you are American. SOmetime things you say are slightly different to us Australians and the Brits etc. That is why we have different translations.

Still waiting for the Australian Standard version though.

"Crickey Mate, that bloke just walked on water!" Jesus' mates said...
Old 04-24-2005, 11:19 PM
Tech Regular

the King James version has some discrepancies, according to some theologians. That's why in your NIV Bible you'll see chapters that have an extra tidbit of stuff in the end. It'll say something like "Not included in original manuscripts" or something like that... it's a long story.

I personally love the Message bible. I don't think it's Christians that are nitpicky. That's a trait that is common to all humans.

The Message Bible is meant to be read as an easy-reader/entertaining Bible. Something that people nowadays can read without having to think to much about the theological implications.

However, if you're looking to study the Bible, the Message bible is not accurate enough (it's almost a paraphrase of the Bible). The NIV, or even better, the tNIV (Today's NIV) are probably the most accurate.

Just my two cents.
Btw, I haven't posted here in a while. Hi to everyone!!
Old 04-25-2005, 07:39 PM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by dugrant153
I don't think it's Christians that are nitpicky. That's a trait that is common to all humans.

The Message Bible is meant to be read as an easy-reader/entertaining Bible. Something that people nowadays can read without having to think too much about the theological implications.
Very true, it is a common trait among humans. The topic though (just to nitpick ) was that Christianity is too full of it.

I agree with what you said about the message, but I don't think reading the message means you shut off your brain at all. I think God intended His Word to be enjoyed and the message is written more the way the original text was intended to be read. When you translate something from one language to another you don't always translate word for word (as some suggest we should do for the bible). Anyone who knows more than one language knows that sometimes you can't do that, because of idioms etc. in both languages that make it impossible.

For example, the Chinese "Yau San, Yau Sui" (that's Cantonese BTW) literally means "have mountain (hill), have Water”. However a good translator wouldn't translate that way, they would say: "It's picturesque” or “It’s a pleasant place” which is the real meaning.

Therefore, I think that though it is easier to read, it can be still used to understand theological aspects of the bible, albeit easier.

That's what I reckon anyway.

That said, I still reckon the NIV is the best overall. The Message was never meant to replace the NIV or other translations. It is just a different translation, a tool if you will, for furthering understanding of what God has to say. Which can never be a bad thing.
Old 04-25-2005, 08:42 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by Stealthy Ninja
Very true, it is a common trait among humans. The topic though (just to nitpick ) was that Christianity is too full of it.
The term "Christianity" implies a group of people, doesn't it? Therefore, I'm still correct when I say Christians Although, we could get into the whole debate about cultural Christians and real Christians, etc etc.

But in regards to what you said about the Message Bible, I agree with you.
Old 04-26-2005, 07:14 AM
Tech Adept

The term "Christianity" implies a group of people, doesn't it? Therefore, I'm still correct when I say Christians Although, we could get into the whole debate about cultural Christians and real Christians, etc etc.

But in regards to what you said about the Message Bible, I agree with you.
What I meant, is Christians shouldn't be like that. Though you are right, it is a common thing among humans.
Old 04-26-2005, 09:36 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by Stealthy Ninja
What I meant, is Christians shouldn't be like that. Though you are right, it is a common thing among humans.
wow, we ARE nitpicky! hehehe... just check out our posts on this thread!

But yeah, you're right about Christians shouldn't be like that.
Old 04-29-2005, 02:43 AM
Tech Adept

wow, we ARE nitpicky! hehehe... just check out our posts on this thread!

But yeah, you're right about Christians shouldn't be like that.
Yeah, funny how nitpicky we became while picking on people who are nitpicky. LOL

Anyway...

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service