Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > Club Forums > R/C Racers 4 Christ
Belt and Shaft...is there any REAL difference. >

Belt and Shaft...is there any REAL difference.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Belt and Shaft...is there any REAL difference.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-11-2005, 08:18 PM
Tech Adept

Default Belt and Shaft...is there any REAL difference.

I personally have 2 cars.

1. X-ray T1
2. TC3

I use the X-ray because it looks better and I just like it (also I have had some troubles with my TC3). I couldn't really tell which one runs better, because on the track I tried them on I used a motor that was too fast on the TC3 for the track. SO these days I stick to the X-Ray.

I was just wondering if anyone has properly tried both cars and which one they think is better.

Also, is there any real difference between Shaft and Belt, are there types of tracks each one is suited to? Do tell.

BTW I will be running on this track soonish: http://www.trcracing.net/ Tell me what type of car you'd use on it.

BTW, I posted this here, because I thought my fellow Christian Brothers would not get too hooked up on their favourite Car and they would give balanced answers.
Old 03-12-2005, 07:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default Re: Belt and Shaft...is there any REAL difference.

Originally posted by Stealthy Ninja
I personally have 2 cars.

1. X-ray T1
2. TC3

I use the X-ray because it looks better and I just like it (also I have had some troubles with my TC3). I couldn't really tell which one runs better, because on the track I tried them on I used a motor that was too fast on the TC3 for the track. SO these days I stick to the X-Ray.

I was just wondering if anyone has properly tried both cars and which one they think is better.

Also, is there any real difference between Shaft and Belt, are there types of tracks each one is suited to? Do tell.

BTW I will be running on this track soonish: http://www.trcracing.net/ Tell me what type of car you'd use on it.

BTW, I posted this here, because I thought my fellow Christian Brothers would not get too hooked up on their favourite Car and they would give balanced answers.
Well I would say that the belt is better suited for that track.
Here is the major differences between each.
Belts have great top end usally
Shafts have better lowend almost always.
If the track is tight and technical I would use a shaft adn be very happy.
I have the Yokomo SD (Shaft Drive) and I love it for short tracks but I can not keep up in the straits with the belts.
Sollution have one of each...check my signiture...Yokomo is putting out a Belt drive car at the end of this month. I have one on order.
SO am I biased...YUP for Yokomo products....Which makes me wonder...You live in a land of endless supply of Japanees model makers yet you have a US and UK made models.....You should try a Yokomo...You won't be let down...LOL Now that is a plug for my favorite...
I did have a FT TC3 before my Yok just so you know. LOL
You will probably get better results with the Xray on most tracks becasue of a couple of things. The TC3 is heavy in comparision so it takes more motor to get it going...But it is more durable...One hand washs the other.
I think you should take a bone stock setup on your TC3.. I found it to be one of the best setups for it. Works good on every track.
Not realy familar with the Xray.
hope this helps,
Stephen <
here is a pic of my Yokomo SD on a Tre's Leonard pit board.
Old 03-15-2005, 08:30 AM
Tech Adept

I had a FT TC3 and found it prone to broken parts. I don't know if it was that particular batch of carbon/plastic parts or what but arms and hubs seem to break even if I looked at a rail wrong-lol. But I have to agree with Shookie on low end. The bottom end of these things would make it fly around corners and would seem to have more acceleration than belts. On the other hand, I had a T1 Raycer. I thought it was bullet proof. That thing could take a beating. If you want good setups for your X-ray, go to the X-ray web site for setups. Your X-ray should have come with a certificate and a password. I would also ask other X-ray guys that go to your track to see what they are doing. Again echoing Shookie, stock setups for both are a great starting point. Have fun.

Randy
Old 03-15-2005, 08:42 AM
Tech Adept

Dude, by th way, your track is HUGE!!! I just want to state that it's all in your driving ability. Having good equipment is well and good, but knowing how and having the abiltiy to use that equipment is another thing. Have fun!!!

Randy
Old 04-08-2005, 06:32 PM
Tech Adept

Default UPDATE

I went to a shop that is owned or operated or both by one of the better racers in Hong Kong (Andy Something-a-rather, he's always in the HK magazines). And asked him which type of car is better at the track. He said:

For stock = Shaft
For Mod = Belt

Stock here is 23t BTW.

BTW, say money wasn't a problem, what would you guys choose?

Yokomo MR-4TC SD CGM SPECIAL
AE TC4
Tamiya TB Evo 4
HPI Pro 4

Shookie I know you'll say yokomo so you don't need to reply ( )

I'm not going to buy one I think (wasting God's money too have too much when I don't have time to race anyway). Just wondering is all

Last edited by Stealthy Ninja; 04-08-2005 at 06:56 PM.
Old 04-09-2005, 09:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default Re: UPDATE

Actually I would say the New Yokomo BD
It runs very smooth and it has some of the best design features that I have ever seen.
I am shrinking my locker of RC just because I don't have the time to mantain and keep up to race standards more than a couple of cars.
If anyone is intested in a Yokomo 12th scale Touring Car. Fully hopped up with all the goodies.
Stephen <
But Yes I would say Yokomo all the way.LOL

Originally posted by Stealthy Ninja
I went to a shop that is owned or operated or both by one of the better racers in Hong Kong (Andy Something-a-rather, he's always in the HK magazines). And asked him which type of car is better at the track. He said:

For stock = Shaft
For Mod = Belt

Stock here is 23t BTW.

BTW, say money wasn't a problem, what would you guys choose?

Yokomo MR-4TC SD CGM SPECIAL
AE TC4
Tamiya TB Evo 4
HPI Pro 4

Shookie I know you'll say yokomo so you don't need to reply ( )

I'm not going to buy one I think (wasting God's money too have too much when I don't have time to race anyway). Just wondering is all
Old 04-15-2005, 03:48 PM

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I think that a shaft drive is probably faster to work on in the Pits.

To me that makes a differences. I hated the belts on my old Street Weapons.

Been schooled by a lot of TC3s over the years.

Currently running XXXS. Love it. If you a experienece racer, you could probably win with either belt or shaft. PC9840 who was in my club in Merced could school the rest of us with whatever TC he had that month. He beat us with Schumacher, TC3, Corally, and Yokomo. He just also took great care of his equipment.

Cmotif
Old 04-17-2005, 05:28 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

If your just running stock the Pro4 is hands down the best stock race car.. I own and have owned alot of yokomos so dont even go their Shookie..
Old 04-17-2005, 06:28 PM
Tech Rookie

Go for the shaft. Much easier to keep together. TC4 is better anyways.
Old 04-17-2005, 07:09 PM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by Rustler551
Go for the shaft. Much easier to keep together. TC4 is better anyways.
Don't tempt me to spend money I don't have man

Like Cmotif said, it doesn't matter what car you have, I Tamiya can win the worlds afterall ( ) I did read however that masami couldn't win the worlds because he didn't have a car capable of the win (it was only his great skill that got him 4th, not the car). So at the top levels where everyone is really good, it would come down to the car I'd say...and setup etc.
Old 05-05-2005, 06:35 PM
Tech Adept

Default Thinking of getting a shaft

I am thinking of getting a shaft for racing stock, and keeping the X-ray for when I move to mod.

The other day I saw a Pro 4 for sale second hand (I don't buy new kits)...but I am gonna look today at the shops and see what I can see.

If I can get a second hand Yoke, I will think about it. I might even get a Xray FK04...if I can find a second hand one that way I can swap parts back and forth...

Like Mr. Shookie I have decided to reduce my total RC car base. I am giving my TC3 away to a friend but I still want a good stock motor racer (so I am not really reducing it am I... ) . Basically I am going to ask the guy I mentioned before (Andy Lam) what he thinks I should do, because he knows a lot more about the track etc. than I.

I will let you know what happens.

(BTW I got some work recently, so I have a little bit of money to spend )
Old 05-05-2005, 07:43 PM
Tech Lord

For racing stock the Pro4 rules,it's faster than the tc4's or yokomos..
Old 05-06-2005, 01:14 AM
Tech Adept

Default I was very lucky

I talked to the guy I sorta know who is sponsered by Associated (Andy Lam: mentioned above) and he said (basically) shaft is better for stock, but belt is easier to drive. He said, if you can control the shaft cars, the times will be better, but belt is easier to drive, so it is more consistant...so... in the shop was a Xray T1FK04 that some guy build, apparently this guy has 4 FK04s at home. He built this one and never used it. It has a XRC chassis and wide upper deck as well as Hudy spring steel outdrives and a one way fitted. It is so new the battery foam wasn't even dented...

So I bought it. It cost $1500 HKD, which is 148.65 Euros or $192.497 USD. It is half what a FK04 kit would cost here new, but mine has the XRC and Wide upper deck etc.

I think this was the best way for me to go, because I already have spare parts etc.

I've attached a picture here, the one on top is my old T1 and the FK04 is on the bottom.
Attached Thumbnails Belt and Shaft...is there any REAL difference.-xray2.jpg  

Last edited by Stealthy Ninja; 05-06-2005 at 01:22 AM.
Old 05-06-2005, 01:16 AM
Tech Adept

Default Another Picture

and here is a slightly better picture, just of the new chassis...

sorry about the quailty, I was lazy and used my mobile phone LOL

BTW I also saw a Pro4 with a custom (very nice) Unidirectional carbon fibre chassis (second hand) for the same price and simular condition. But went with the X-ray, because it was such a bargain.
Attached Thumbnails Belt and Shaft...is there any REAL difference.-xray-1.jpeg  
Old 05-06-2005, 06:27 AM
Tech Lord

Both are nice cars,The Xray is a bit easier to drive,my only complaint with Xrays is they dont have the exit steering that a Pro4 has,But its not twitchey like a pro4 is either.Good choice.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.