Bible basics

Old 11-05-2010, 01:22 PM
Tech Master

Default Bible basics

Let's start a thread where we can learn about the Word of God! This will not be denominatation based and atheism or sacrilege will not be tolerated but mainly basic facts and trivia to share with friends or something to ask your Pastor about. For our benefit please don't use any search engines via the Internet.
I'll start: How many books are in the Bible?
Old 11-05-2010, 04:06 PM

Trader Rating: 151 (99%+)

Originally Posted by bowl806 View Post
Let's start a thread where we can learn about the Word of God! This will not be denominatation based and atheism or sacrilege will not be tolerated but mainly basic facts and trivia to share with friends or something to ask your Pastor about. For our benefit please don't use any search engines via the Internet.
I'll start: How many books are in the Bible?
I got this one----66

What road was the Apostle Paul on when the Lord temporarily blinded him and spoke to him with the Good News???

And more specifically, what WAS the 'Good News' He gave Paul to share, and with whom was he to share it?

My wife and I do off-the-top-of-our-heads Bible trivia for the youth every Sunday night, so this will be a fun thread!!! Always open to good material for that!!!
Old 11-05-2010, 04:30 PM
Tech Master

Now now Brother-simple stuff for the new believer! (but I'm raising my hand, "I know! I know!!") hee hee hee. Hmmm, could it be in the book of Acts?
Was the "Good news" the weather forecast? Or did it have something to do with Jesus? (just keeping it light) Light;get it?
Old 11-05-2010, 09:19 PM
Tech Master

Here's a new one: The Word says, "Let "us" make man in "our" own image" according to "OUR" likeness? Gen 1:26 If some believe is there is Only One God who was the "us" and "Our" He talking about/to?
Old 11-06-2010, 08:52 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Paul was on the Road to Damascus. God told him to go to Ananias, Ananias laid hands on him, prayed and scales fell from his eyes so He could see. Then he was told to preach Jesus to the Gentiles.

God the Father is speaking to, God the Son and God Holy Spirit.
All three are God and make up one God.
Old 11-06-2010, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Ansel View Post
Paul was on the Road to Damascus. God told him to go to Ananias, Ananias laid hands on him, prayed and scales fell from his eyes so He could see. Then he was told to preach Jesus to the Gentiles.

God the Father is speaking to, God the Son and God Holy Spirit.
All three are God and make up one God.
That's what I'm talkin' about!!!
Old 11-06-2010, 12:04 PM
Tech Master

Great job Ansel!

This is great you guys!:know that the Lord is proud of you for beginning to seek out the little nuggets not taught in most Sunday school classes and study to know His Word in your hearts!

Let's move on in Genesis: Everybody (well most) know the story of Noah's ark and how the Lord sent all the animals to Noah 2x2 right? (see Gen 7:9.) Today's question is: What do we know about the animals that were taken aboard by 7's? You might be saying to yourselves, "What!, 7's?" If you can find the Scripture that'd be great! If not, that's why we're here;to help people grow in the Word!

Last edited by bowl806; 11-06-2010 at 12:05 PM. Reason: forgot some praise
Old 11-08-2010, 10:44 PM
Tech Master

Well, I didn't get any reply with that question so I guess I'll tone it down. Let's get some foundational groundwork: The Lord used about 40 men in writing the Bible yet, some of the writers are unknown such as the writers of the last chapter of Deuteronomy, the book of Job, and some of the Psalms. In round numbers these 40 members worked about 1500 years-from 1400 B.C to A.D 100.
Does anyone know the difference between a Manuscript and a Version? Stay tuned for our next episode unless you have an answer.
Old 11-09-2010, 05:31 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Bible Basics

Had to look this one up... Genesis 7:2&3. "You shall take with you seven of every clean animal, a male and his female; two each of animals that are unclean, a male and his female; "Also seven each of birds of the air, male and female, to keep the species alive on the face of all the earth.
Old 11-09-2010, 06:10 PM
Tech Master

Had to look this one up... Genesis 7:2&3. "You shall take with you seven of every clean animal, a male and his female; two each of animals that are unclean, a male and his female; "Also seven each of birds of the air, male and female, to keep the species alive on the face of all the earth.
Good for you! It's kind of funny how/why Sunday School doesn't teach that but now you know! Now then since you found that can you explain what the animals (either the one's by 7's or the ones by 2's were used for?) You don't have to reply w/answer but use it for your own personal growth. Just above your post I posted a little tad of the human writers and time line for the origin of the Bible and I asked if anybody know the difference between "manuscripts and versions." Here is some insight:
The OT books were written in Hebrew between 1400 B.C. and 400 B.C. and the oldest Bible manuscripts aka the Dead Sea Scrolls were found in a cave near the Dead Sea in 1947 and following years. All the books of the NT were written in Greek during the first century after Christ.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:19 AM

Well...since nobody else is going to answer, I'll go ahead.

Ina short answer---a manuscript is an original written document. While a version is a rewritten document that has had wording or punctuation changes made to it. Like we have versions of the Bible that have been rewritten to make them easier to read and understand for some. They typically say the same thing, just in easier to understand words. For instance, the NLT version of the Bible is said to be written at a 10th grade reading level.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:30 AM
Tech Master

Thank you Brother Brad-It's better to answer the question than stagnate in water (which is a heavy duty statement in itself)
How are we to intrepret the Bible? Simply put, God speaks with authority. His Word should be held in our hearts, minds, and voices with the highest reverence and utmost respect. God is the supreme authority because He created all things, and is able to control all things. The Bible carries authority because it is His Word and it is His way of making His will known to us. There are some inadequate sources of authority that have been suggested and accepted by some and later on we can explain the difference between religion and cults. The Bible is a special revelation from God that was written by inspired men and guided by God's spirit to write what God wanted them to write.
Can anybody name the purpose of Bible study? Many purposes may be suggested but the Lord is having me mention 2 that seem to be the most important: 1-To know God. If we come to know the Book but do not come to know God, we have failed and the purpose of God has been defeated. 2: To guide our lives. If we come to know the Book but do not come to live by the Book, this too is failure. (James 1:22)
Our atitude towards the Bible, God's Word is holy. It deserves our reverent study and its treasures are missed by one who approaches it as a skeptic or fault finding atitude. One who reads it as a message from God is richly rewarded.
God has given us His Word, but it has no effect in our lives unless it actually comes to us; unless we receive it,study it, understand it, and obey it. "Wow!" you say, "How do I do all that?" This is where a statement of faith and accepting Jesus into your hearts comes into play. I'm sure there are some out there who can share what they said or did to accept Jesus into their hearts. The Word says that Jesus stands at the door and knocks and whosoever opens the door and invites Him in he will dine and sup with you. (Rev.3:20) What does this mean?
Joy and peace to all till next time!
Old 11-15-2010, 10:08 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Wow good stuff guys, i never knew about the 7 of each animal on the Ark. Were the extra animals for sacrifice?

Originally Posted by bowl806 View Post
The Word says that Jesus stands at the door and knocks and whosoever opens the door and invites Him in he will dine and sup with you. (Rev.3:20) What does this mean?
Joy and peace to all till next time!
Well at the top of that section in Rev it says "The Lukewarm Church"

It seems that it was a plea for the people of the church to put their faith in Christ. When they see/feel the nudgings of God to give their lives over to him
and invite Christ into their hears so that on judgment day they can sit at the table of the most high rather than perish in hell.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:13 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

New question.

Jesus wowed people with miracles and words of wisdom all over the lands, people had never seen or heard such things! But there was a place where he could say anything he wanted or perform miracles and no one believed he was the Son of God....

Can you name that place/region? Why were the people so unbelieving?
Old 11-15-2010, 11:40 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Ghostrider86 View Post
Wow good stuff guys, i never knew about the 7 of each animal on the Ark. Were the extra animals for sacrifice?

Well at the top of that section in Rev it says "The Lukewarm Church"

It seems that it was a plea for the people of the church to put their faith in Christ. When they see/feel the nudgings of God to give their lives over to him
and invite Christ into their hears so that on judgment day they can sit at the table of the most high rather than perish in hell.
Lots of questions and that's a good thing! Gen 8:20 answers your animal question.
Re:the Lukewarm church--let me see if the Lord can give me the words to put this in a way that's easy to undersand: How about "lukewarm" like water you put to boil and in a person's realm praising the Lord when things are going good and condemning the Lord when things don't go "your way"ie:sitting on a fence where the grass is green on one side and not as nice on the other, or how about not standing firm for your belief and kind of going with the flow because someone said, "it's ok! no one will see or know!"
And just for a bit of clarification (no harm intended) you and I are the church. A building is merely that;a building is made of wood and rock and basically dead. But as Christians each one one of us IS the church! It is our job to go out and make disciples of people. I like to look at church as a gas station; we go there once a week to fill up our spirit and learn. Once we have learned something either we keep it to ourselves or we go out and share what we've learned to help others grow. In RC terms, after our 15-20 min runs we need to hook up our batteries to the charger so we can go out and run full speed again. How do you feel about that?

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service