Wiki Posts
Search

God Spoke to me! And I listened~!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 07:21 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default God Spoke to me! And I listened~!

Below are two emails one from me to a friend yesterday and his response I got this morning.

This is a guy was my best friend growing up from the age of five. After high school we all went off to different schools and other then two emails about 5 years earlier had not heard from him until about two months ago when he showed up on my FaceBook page. He battled alcoholism and several other demons and after nearly dieing in a hospital bed from it at the age of 37 found God and sobriety. Two months ago I saw him speak his testimonial at a church sobriety meeting he goes to and since have spoken in email two or three times.

Yesterday I was stressing out on a number of different items at work and outside of work, so as I was sitting at my desk realizing I am allowing the world to hammer me I decide to skip lunch, do some fasting and spend that hour in prayer. (do I even need to say how we should all be doing this at least once a week…) Out of that hour came the email below to my friend.

-Humbled
__________________________________________________ _________

On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 2:24 PM,

To: Tom W
wrote:
Hey man,
Long story short I was having a stressful day and sometimes (not often enough) I’ll skip lunch (those Christians call it fasting~!) and spend the time in prayer.
So as I am sitting out watching it rain talking out all the things I could use some guidance with in my world the next thing I know you pop into my head and I was filled with a little concern (them there same Christians might call this God speaking to you, or laying it on your heart) and had this, well obviously overwhelming need to email you about this.
So without as much as a fun anecdote or reason other then God whispering to me I have to ask. Are you struggling with your beliefs right now? Not in the, I don’t believe in God kind of thing, but with what you see other “Christians” doing not only from the time they pull into the church parking lot on Sunday but outside of that?
So I don’t know, but for what it is worth I have never emailed someone because I thought God told me I should, so welcome to the club you are member #1
Hope you’re doing good buddy.
__________________________________________________ ___________________________
On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 8:49 PM,
To:Tim Smith
Cc:
Subject: Re: Hey

Geeez, did somebody call you???............I know, ...my room's been bugged..right??
Hahaha...Yeah, I've been 'struggling' a little lately. Its been kind of building for the last 3 or 4 weeks, and then came to a head last Friday......One of the guys that I was REALLY able to identify with when I was fresh out of the hospital and newly sober, had a pretty involved relapse. He fessed up that, not only is he back on the bottle again, but he's been cheating on his wife for the last several months (I happen to know his wife pretty well also)....

I've never put much stock into anything the typical "lifelong" Christian types have ever had to say. I've always been of the belief that they've just lived very sheltered, unrealistic lives...and there was just no way I could ever possibly identify with them (and vice-versa)....But this guys background was a lot like mine in many ways.. and he was able to (or so I thought) get his life completely turned around because of his "new relationship" with God ......I remember thinking "If this guy can change, then I sure as Heck can too!!" .....So it was a bit deflating to learn that he (even with God apparently in his life) wasn't able to keep his own "personal demons" in check ......I keep thinking "Is this what's ultimately in store for me as well??"

Since most of the guys in my Accountability/Bible-study group know this particular guy, I haven't really discussed this with them (just not sure yet if this is the kind of information that would be appropriate to share)....So its been kind of hard to convey what I've been feeling without being able to share WHY I've been feeling like I have..................Good God, I sound like a woman with all this silly drama. hahahaha.....Hard to shrug this kind of stuff off like I used to be able to

Not particularly sure WHY that has stuck with me like it has..... But, to put it simply, its got me questioning whether any of the substantial changes any of us attempt to make as full grown adults, can..... or will, ultimately stick ........There is definitely a part of me that REALLY misses the 'womanizing" & partying (and other less-than-desirable behavior) of the old days.....

Having said that, I'm certainly under no illusions...I know what that kind of lifestyle brings with it ...But its hard to deny those were some fun times

Aaahhhh, what an interesting life we lead!!!

Thanks, Brutha!!

talk to you soon

Tom

Last edited by Tim Smith; 10-07-2010 at 12:47 PM.
Old 10-08-2010, 12:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Wow, that is awesome man. Now you just have to help your brother out.
Old 10-08-2010, 01:01 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Yeah we are meeting tomorrow for lunch and some "Dude Time"

Just wanted to encourage all my brothers to spend that time in prayer and maybe do some listening, you never know what you could be missing.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:37 AM

Trader Rating: 159 (99%+)

Originally Posted by Tim Smith
Yeah we are meeting tomorrow for lunch and some "Dude Time"

Just wanted to encourage all my brothers to spend that time in prayer and maybe do some listening, you never know what you could be missing.

Awesome story!! Definitely a GREAT reminder for all Christians everywhere. We need to not only take time to pray to our Lord and Savior every day, but we need to take time to listen to Him and His 'whispers' as well.

Thanks for sharing!

Brad