Wiki Posts
Search

This just frosts my behind!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 10:09 AM

Trader Rating: 159 (99%+)
Default This just frosts my behind!!!

There are two things that just frost my behind!! When people are willing to lie about a purchase to paypal just to save a few bucks, and a 3-foot high sno-cone!!!!

I am SO sick and tired of people trying to take advantage of paypal when they want you to mark your payment as a 'gift' so they don't have to pay the fees! I have backed out of several buys now because of it, and I told them each time that....if they were willing to lie to paypal to save a few pennies, then they would also lie to me about the condition of the item. Needless to say, I've gotten some 'interesting' responses to that!!

For years now, people have badmouthed paypal for their fees and things, and now, paypal ACTUALLY does something nice, where you can send money for a good cause without someone getting charged the fees, and people lie and take advantage of it!! And some of these people I would of thought were far above cheating someone out of money with a lie!! So many people have absolutely NO integrity anymore.

Anyway, I just had to vent about this. And people wonder why everything costs so much....it's partly because so many people will lie, cheat, steal, or whatever, for the almighty dollar!!! Sheesh!!!

And OK, so there are prolly more than two things that frost my rear, but you get the point...lol.

Brad
Old 04-27-2010, 10:37 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I have never asked for anyone to send me money as a gift. However, if I know the person that I am buying something from, I often will send it as money owed or as a gift. I feel that I am giving them a gift of no fees taken out on their end.

But I agree with your quotes.
Old 04-28-2010, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by 4xFord
I have never asked for anyone to send me money as a gift. However, if I know the person that I am buying something from, I often will send it as money owed or as a gift. I feel that I am giving them a gift of no fees taken out on their end.

But I agree with your quotes.

While I appreciate your concern for your friends, to me, it wouldn't matter if I am buying something from a friend, a nobody, or my mom, if I am using paypal's services for a purchase, then I could never mark it as a gift to avoid the charges for using their service. I would be telling a lie and it wouldn't be right, to me.

Brad
Old 04-29-2010, 12:43 PM
Tech Initiate

I understand what you are saying. I do see your point of dishonesty.

But how about this situation:

I was at my friends house, he agreed to sell me something, I took possesion of the item, came home, and sent him the money as money owed. That as honest of a transaction as you can get. I owed the man money.
Old 04-29-2010, 01:05 PM

I guess this is the way I would see that if it were me, is....

Paypal charges the fees they do (although they seem a bit high sometimes) to cover the costs they have for providing their services. So to me, no matter how we receive the goods, if we are using their services to pay for a purchase, then we should pay them for using the convenient service they provide. Whether the person ships the stuff after we pay for it, we pick it up from them after the payment, or we pick it up in advance, we are still using paypal to pay for a purchase we made from the other person, if that's why we are sending the money. The payment isn't for a gift or charity, it's for the purchase we made. It's not paypals fault that we didn't pay for it in person, their costs of doing business are the same to make the transaction happen.

I mean, let's say you bought the stuff from your friend, and you agreed to pay for it later. Three days later you decide to send a check off to him and you head to the post offfice. You hand them the envelope to send off to your friend, and the lady says, wait, this doesn't have a stamp. And you say, it's okay, I picked up the stuff from him the other day, so the check I am sending is for a purchase that has already taken place.

At that point, is she going to say...oh, well okay then, we will provide our services of getting the check to him for free, since you already have the goods? No, she is going to say....if you want to use our services to mail something, you are still going to have to buy a stamp if you want it sent. Why? Because it will still cost them the same amount of money and resources to get that envelope where you want it to go, no matter where you at are in getting the goods.

That's just my thoughts. Everyone has to decide for themselves where their own values are when it comes to money and what they are convicted of.

God Bless!
Brad
Old 04-29-2010, 03:01 PM
Tech Master

Today's "frosting." I went and took some info the church asked to be put in preaddressed envelopes and returned so they could mail them. When I got there (9:10am) the office was closed. The sign posted on the door says the hours:8am-3pm and closed from 12-1 for lunch. Finally someone opened the door (after I knocked for awhile.) I handed the letters/envelopes to the Office Manager and they were all checked to make sure there were names/addresses on all of them. Then I received a reprimand because a couple of people has their last names misspelt-and the subject was "closed." "Lord, forgive me for not checking other peoples' work which I know nothing about and am merely delivering." And, "Thank you Lord for having me hold my tongue."
Old 04-29-2010, 03:49 PM
Tech Adept

I don't get how it's a bad thing though. Why not save some money if you can? Imo if i can buy an item for 50 bucks, or one for 500, yet both be brand new from factory... Then why not buy the 50 and save some cash? You might as well if you have a chance and still get a product.
Old 04-30-2010, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by krone6
I don't get how it's a bad thing though. Why not save some money if you can? Imo if i can buy an item for 50 bucks, or one for 500, yet both be brand new from factory... Then why not buy the 50 and save some cash? You might as well if you have a chance and still get a product.

It's a bad thing because the Bible says that telling a lie is a sin. So if you use paypal to pay for a purchase, and then you mark it as a gift to avoid paying for their services, then you are telling a lie. It is not a gift when you a paying for a purchase, it's a payment for a purchase, and they charge a fee for those.

God Bless!
Brad
Old 04-30-2010, 01:20 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by WYLDTHING
Whether the person ships the stuff after we pay for it, we pick it up from them after the payment, or we pick it up in advance, we are still using paypal to pay for a purchase we made from the other person, if that's why we are sending the money. The payment isn't for a gift or charity, it's for the purchase we made. It's not paypals fault that we didn't pay for it in person, their costs of doing business are the same to make the transaction happen.
But paypal did more than add the gift option. They added the money owed option. If you owe someone money and send it with that option there is no dishonesty.

But other than my specific situation mentioned, I would agree that it is dishonest to paypal to send it as a gift when it is a transaction.

For better or worse though, the majority of people are not cut of the same black and white moral fiber as you. It seems that most do not see it as lie, or just do not care because it is a large corporation that they either dislike or feel has received their fair share of money from them already.
Old 04-30-2010, 01:53 PM

I guess I wasn't aware of the 'money owed' option, so I'm sorry if I wasn't getting the jist of what you were trying to say.

For me though, I'm not sure it would change things too much with how I do biz with paypal. But I would imagine most will interperet 'money owed' as just about any transaction anymore, due to technicality....lol.

I agree that it is easy to get the attitude of wanting to 'get all you can' from the big corporations anymore, but like I said earlier, this is one big reason so many things cost so much, is because big biz has to charge the honest people more just to cover their losses from all the people that would lie about anything to save a dollar. So once again, the nice-guy finishes last....for now.

The REAL problem is the corrupt/dishonest attitudes go all the way to the top in our country now, and most are willing to take advantage of anyone just to line their own pockets.....sad.

Sorry for the misunderstanding...

Brad
Old 05-01-2010, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by 4xFord
For better or worse though, the majority of people are not cut of the same black and white moral fiber as you. It seems that most do not see it as lie, or just do not care because it is a large corporation that they either dislike or feel has received their fair share of money from them already.
You know???..... After thinking more about this, I have to disagree. Others ARE cut out of the same "moral fiber" as I am. Want proof that they know that they are telling a lie to paypal when they mark it as a gift, or when they fudge on something else to save a few bucks???

Then watch these same people when the roles are reversed and someone is trying to take advantage of them. Watch them when THEY own a business and someone tries to do something to scrape a couple of extra unjust bucks out of their hands. Watch these SAME PEOPLE when THEY receive something they purchased and it's not JUST as described. Watch these SAME PEOPLE scream bloody-murder when they think THEY aren't being treated fairly by someone else who is trying to get more of THEIR money unfairly. There's our proof that they do indeed know better.

So, I'm not buying that I am any different than anyone else in my "moral fiber"...lol. All of these people that are doing this know it is wrong, because they would say it is wrong if someone else was doing it to them. It's just the double-standard that so many live by these days where they ONLY think of themselves.

The only difference between my moral fiber and their's is.....is by the grace of God, He changed my heart to be able to see that I need to be "honest in ALL my dealings". Through my pursuit of knowing Him and His word more, He showed me why it is so important in this world to "do onto others as I would have them do unto me". Cuz if we aren't honest in our dealings, and we don't treat others as we would like to be treated, we might just end up living in a world where just about everyone is willing to lie about just about anything to save a few bucks. And a world where nothing is sacred when it comes to getting more of the almighty dollar in your pocket.

Oh wait...that IS the world we are living in now!!! How sad.....

Please understand, I am NOT attacking you or what you said personally, here...lol. It's just the more I thought about this, and how I had seen different people react in the past with these types of situations, that I realized that there is more to what you said than what we see on the surface. People do understand way more than they let on, you just have to see them in the right situation to find out what they REALLY believe sometimes.

God Bless!
Brad
Old 05-01-2010, 03:48 PM

I've been pondering this today as I got some things done, and I have come up with a quote that I believe is very accurate. I'm sure that of all the billions of people that have lived on this planet, that I am not the first to say this, but I had never heard it before so here it is...

The true measure of what a man believes is right or wrong isn't shown by how he treats other people, it's whether he'll let others treat him the same way.---Me

This goes hand in hand with how the Bible talks about "doing unto others"....Hmmm...God is so wise!!!

Brad
Old 05-05-2010, 10:51 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by WYLDTHING

The true measure of what a man believes is right or wrong isn't shown by how he treats other people, it's whether he'll let others treat him the same way.---Me

This goes hand in hand with how the Bible talks about "doing unto others"....Hmmm...God is so wise!!!

Brad
I like the quote! If we all treated others as we want to be treated things would be decisively different in this world! ......no hunger, no poverty, no crime...... the list goes on.

Here is my beef......

I love the save the earth Go Green people who live in million dollar homes that took a large part of the earths resources to build.

Hybrid car? LOL give me a break! How do they think the metal was made, or the oil that lubricates the engine. A GAS engine that runs every time they get over 20mph or when they punch the throttle.....which is every single red light or interstate....heck i can cut my car off at red lights, does that mean i drive a hybrid and will save the earth?...... Last time i checked the bible clearly says the earth will go away but God is ever lasting.

Recycle, lol, if they cared so much about the environment they wouldn't use anything that needed to be recycled.....

If you are so green, you would live in the woods, grow your own food, raise cattle for meat and milk and wear clothing you made from brush and leaves.

Instead i see people driving expensive Hybrid SUV's, watching CNN on their 52" flat screens, with their cute little recycle bins on the street on trash day saying that they want paper at the grocery store.

But I digress..........the same thing can be said of "Christians"........
Old 05-05-2010, 10:55 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

my .o2 (regardless of what subforum this is)

i buy and sell a few different types of things from other forums.
i refuse to do business with anyone who posts 'paypal as a gift'.
to me that is just an open door to getting burned and having zero recourse.
if a seller even puts 'as a gift' in their sales thread, im moving on.
Old 05-12-2010, 01:39 PM
Tech Rookie

Doesn't the bible say bad things about usury?

So by paying fee's to paypal you are angering god?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.