Wiki Posts
Search

www.thepassionofthechrist.com

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-21-2004, 09:36 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

People just don't want to hear about Jesus Christ and what He did for them. It makes some mad when He is brought up. Sad but this country is really trying to get Him out of everything. One day, everyone will face God...
Old 02-23-2004, 08:08 AM

I will see the movie of Wednesday at noon and I will let you know what I think about it as soon as possible after that.

Cmotif
Old 02-25-2004, 04:24 PM

Just got back from seeing the movie.
1. It is brutal. I think that it is really easy for Christians to forget about what Christ went through. This shows it. It is not easy to watch.
2. Mel Gibson had added a few things. Some, if you already know the story, will leave you scratching yours head. Some of them, make you think, and make you think, "Yeah, it could have been that brutal, or the people that unkind."
3. When they do flash backs to the teaching and ministry of Christ, you will love Him.
4. It will tear you up when you think about what Christ went through to save us from our sin.

Cmotif
Old 03-02-2004, 02:50 AM
Tech Master

I watched this last thursday,

yes it is very brutal, I think the whipping scene was overdone quite a bit,
Old 03-03-2004, 10:26 AM
Regional Moderator

Originally posted by Cmotif
Just got back from seeing the movie.
1. It is brutal. I think that it is really easy for Christians to forget about what Christ went through. This shows it. It is not easy to watch.
2. Mel Gibson had added a few things. Some, if you already know the story, will leave you scratching yours head. Some of them, make you think, and make you think, "Yeah, it could have been that brutal, or the people that unkind."
3. When they do flash backs to the teaching and ministry of Christ, you will love Him.
4. It will tear you up when you think about what Christ went through to save us from our sin.

Cmotif <
Does it really say why Jesus had to go to the cross? Why He was born, to die for the sin of the world? I still don't really want to see this movie...
Old 03-05-2004, 04:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default The Passion

Are you guys blessed or what? Here in the Philiipines, we still have to wait for "Ash Wednesday" - April 8 for the film to be shown. Of course, our local church has booked it for advance showing to members and friends. Can't wait till then. I would like to put in my own comments but obviously will have to wait. As for the "brutality" on how Jesus was treated, you must do some research on how they treated "criminals" during those times. Then you will understand the kind of punishment they dished out then. We must remember that they "stoned" people to death during those times, using small stones for "small" sins and big stones for grave sins. Now how brutal is that? Anyway, we cannot change history, so the more accurate the protrayal - the better.

Just my 1 cent opinion!

Greetings from Manila, Philippines!
Old 03-06-2004, 07:56 PM

I plan to see it again with my wife. Yes, it does explain that Jesus' death was to pay for the sins of the world.

The scourging scene was extremely brutal. But you know, the Romans who were doing the whipping were probably that brutal. There was probably that much blood.

I think that the movie is worthwhile, and seems to have helped a lot of people understand what Christ went through for the sake of the whole world, because of His love for us.
Old 03-21-2004, 04:33 PM

We have just started a sermon series on the back of the Passion of the Christ.

Today's message was "Jesus is the Son of God -- True or False?"
March 28 "Jesus is the Only Way to God -- True or False?"
April 4 "Jesus died for you -- True or False?"
Easter Sunday "Jesus is alive -- True or False?"

Cmotif
Old 04-05-2004, 10:27 AM
Regional Moderator

Default hey

Hey Cmotif, sitting here in Petiti's class....bored. I just wanted to say that the movie is awesome and everyone should take unbelievers to go see it. At the end of this week I'm going on a mission to Mexico, so keep me in you're prayers ya'll.

God bless
Old 04-05-2004, 03:57 PM

Good to see you around, YYY. Did you see that I have three Yokomos for starting the new RC club up here in Weed? Think about you and Jesse all the time. God bless,

Cmotif
Old 04-10-2004, 12:57 PM
Tech Regular

Just to add my two cents in:

Overall I thought it was a strong movie for people who know the story, but had too many "movie-isms" for people who didnt. The flip side is it wouldn't have been watchable if they hadn't done so.

I did feel there were too many artistic liberties involved:
* The scene with stomping the snake in the garden
* the crow only eating the eyes of the unrepentant theif.
* the 'baptism' in Jesus's blood/water on the cross by the soldier who cut him to ensure he was dead.
* The 'shroud' scene with Mary is not in any Bible I read.

Main complaint is that the most crucial part of the movie is the last 5 seconds but it didnt feel that way. Second main complaint is i'ts way too catholic based (no offence meant to catholics).

Its interesting to me to note that from the very well studied people I've spoken to (not claiming to be myself) that "Passion" had a lot its discourse drawn from the Seventh Day Adventist book "Desire of Ages" even though Mel Gibson is Catholic and had Jesuits with him on site throughout the entire shooting.

All just IMHO.
Old 04-10-2004, 02:45 PM

Paul, I agree very much with what you said. It is still a good more, and worth seeing, though it is far from perfect.

Cmotif
Old 04-10-2004, 08:44 PM
Regional Moderator

Originally posted by Paul_Kultcha
Just to add my two cents in:

Overall I thought it was a strong movie for people who know the story, but had too many "movie-isms" for people who didnt. The flip side is it wouldn't have been watchable if they hadn't done so.

I did feel there were too many artistic liberties involved:
* The scene with stomping the snake in the garden
* the crow only eating the eyes of the unrepentant theif.
* the 'baptism' in Jesus's blood/water on the cross by the soldier who cut him to ensure he was dead.
* The 'shroud' scene with Mary is not in any Bible I read.

Main complaint is that the most crucial part of the movie is the last 5 seconds but it didnt feel that way. Second main complaint is i'ts way too catholic based (no offence meant to catholics).

Its interesting to me to note that from the very well studied people I've spoken to (not claiming to be myself) that "Passion" had a lot its discourse drawn from the Seventh Day Adventist book "Desire of Ages" even though Mel Gibson is Catholic and had Jesuits with him on site throughout the entire shooting.

All just IMHO.
I haven't seen it and won't for many reasons. When I have my priviate prayer time, when I really have everything out of my mind, when I seek His face, I don't want to see a long haired Jesus from a movie in my mind. Also the catholic based turns me off. I'm not catholic and not anything against them. I just like the old way, through my bible and what I imagine Him to look like.
Old 04-13-2004, 05:50 AM
Tech Rookie

Thumbs up

I THOUGHT THE MOVIE WAS FANTASTIC I JUST DIDNT LIKE THE WAY THEY BEAT JESUS AND ABUSED HIM :
Old 04-17-2004, 09:59 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I saw the movie twice, and I think the impact of the movie was remarkable. I believe the beating portraid in the move was only a fraction of the beating he actually took. I believe we could not fathom the abuse he took before he finished the work he was put on earth to do. The devil did not want him to ever make it to the cross. Jesus wasn't killed by anyone, he CHOSE to die on that cross to be the ultimate sacrifise. I think Mel did a good job of showing that no human being could have withstood that much punishment without dying. I proves the point Jesus was man AND God. But the most triumphant part was when Jesus rose again, finishing the work that God started. I know my walk with God was changed drastically and I pray that many seeds were planted in unbelievers!!

The lasting effects of this powerfull movie will be felt for a long time.

Nick

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.