Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > Club Forums > R/C Racers 4 Christ
Racing at our church >

Racing at our church

Racing at our church

Reply

Old 01-24-2008, 11:38 AM
  #1  
Tech Adept
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
Gold-Anodized's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 107
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Racing at our church

Hello,

I'm new to this forum, I was excited to see the "racers 4 Christ" threads here. I am a youth pastor at a church in Missouri, and I am going to be starting racing in church gym (It's carpet, how perfect!) as a way to have a good time, but also to be a godly example to our racing community here.

Have any of you started races? Any advice you can give me, especially on how to use R/C as outreach? Thanks!

God Bless!
Gold-Anodized is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 07:17 PM
  #2  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (9)
 
Mr. Shookie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: The Wilderness
Posts: 4,711
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

I think thats great.
Careful about running RC's on carpet they do leave some rubber or foam which ever you use so make sure the senior Pastor knows before signing off on it...
Wouldn't want to see a brother in the Lord get a scolding to...lol

Best way to us RC as an out reach is word of mouth. If you have other tracks around that race on Sundays, you can offer up racing on Saturday as not to compete for racers.

Hope that helps,
-Shookie <><
Mr. Shookie is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 08:41 PM
  #3  
Tech Adept
 
TMaxx-25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Calhoun, GA
Posts: 100
Default

Hello and welcome. If you could keep us informed on how this works out. I too am in the process of tryng to get the word out around our church about RC. There are two or three of us with RC's that I know of, but I am looking for more.
TMaxx-25 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 05:10 AM
  #4  
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Browns Plains,Queensland
Posts: 484
Default

look us up
pitdog is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 03:16 PM
  #5  
Tech Master
iTrader: (10)
 
Victory Side's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Richfield PA
Posts: 1,908
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Yeah we have started a successful ministry in RC. We race indoor carpet oval and road course. Also in our parking lot in summer we run asphalt oval. Another one of the farmers in the church said he would give us a plot of land to do an offroad track. But that adventure had yet to happen.

We use a trackmate timing system. DO NOT get it! Get I-Lap or AMB. If you want your track to be legit in every way get good equipment. We use a system of PVC gutter with wood screwed inside with hook Velcro (self-adhesive on the bottom). It is transportable as our gym is used on a daily basis. Do not bother with rubber tires on TC, use foam with NO compound or else there will be serious troubles with the board of trustees.

We run ST and TC and 1/10 & 1/12 pan for oval. Outside we run anything guys bring. WE have a strong base of 30 racers and Each guys races multiple classes.
If there is one thing I would do, as God has expanded the ministry I really wish I would have gone with AMB. It is so universal and much better, but now I have guys invested with transponders in the Trackmate and can't really change.

LONG POST I KNOW, I will be praying for your ministry. What type of racing are you planning on doing? Check out the website to
Victory Side is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 06:38 AM
  #6  
Tech Master
iTrader: (10)
 
Victory Side's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Richfield PA
Posts: 1,908
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Gold-Anodized View Post
Hello,

I'm new to this forum, I was excited to see the "racers 4 Christ" threads here. I am a youth pastor at a church in Missouri, and I am going to be starting racing in church gym (It's carpet, how perfect!) as a way to have a good time, but also to be a godly example to our racing community here.

Have any of you started races? Any advice you can give me, especially on how to use R/C as outreach? Thanks!

God Bless!
Any more info? I am really excited to hear some of your ideas for the ministry. I am the Associate Pastor at Richfield Mennonite Church in Richfield PA. We have a blast in our rc racing. We have older men from the church getting involved and the younger kids as well. We have ages 12-60 its great. LMK God Bless
Victory Side is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 06:59 PM
  #7  
Tech Master
iTrader: (10)
 
Victory Side's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Richfield PA
Posts: 1,908
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

NE1?
Victory Side is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 11:56 AM
  #8  
Tech Master
iTrader: (10)
 
Victory Side's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Richfield PA
Posts: 1,908
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

I would love to talk about this some. Are you going to follow up? Any other info, or ideas would be great. Come on back now.

Breaker, breaker, 1 niner.
Victory Side is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 10:33 PM
  #9  
Tech Adept
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
Gold-Anodized's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 107
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Hey All, sorry so long since an update.

This coming friday will be our last race of the season. We have an outdoor track here and most of the guys get the nitro bug when the weather gets warmer. I have learned a lot and I really feel that God has blessed our efforts. We ran oval most nights, using plow discs (I'm in Missouri) to mark the oval. They work great and are easy to store. At first we used 2x4 wood barriers, but they were so hard on the cars, (specifically my car) the plow discs meant a lot less broken parts.

For anyone thinking about starting races here is what I have learned

First, find a team of people who can help put on the races. As a minister on staff (There are two of us at our huge church, the pastor and me) I have had other obligations that took me away from our races at times. This week I had to be out of town for a funeral, and I had a guy from our church who races put on the races on Friday. It was nice to have someone to help when life interupted.

Second, don't underestimate the power of the lap counting system. We just used laps free and a laptop with no transponders this year and it was difficult espescially since the guys (And gals) around here really like to race oval. I haven't figured out how I'm going to get a lap counting system, (really, the money to buy one) but God can do great things!

Finally, if you are thinking about it, go for it, it has been a blast! We would regularly have people from our church and the community come and check it out. I got to talk about church a lot and build relationships.

I'll post some pictures when I figure out how!
Gold-Anodized is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 09:27 AM
  #10  
Tech Master
iTrader: (10)
 
Victory Side's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Richfield PA
Posts: 1,908
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Awesome man, I am pumped to hear your efforts are rewarding. Yes I agree A lap counter is great. Look into I-Lap or type rc lap counter in google. You'll find it and its a great way to track cars at an economical price. I may have a trackmate system for sale with 20 transponders. I think Im going to go AMB.

God Bless Aaron
Victory Side is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 09:29 AM
  #11  
Tech Master
iTrader: (10)
 
Victory Side's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Richfield PA
Posts: 1,908
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Also I have a great way to build a portable track that holds its place on carpet and is some what flexible for cars. We have used it for 2 years with great success. WWW.RICHFIELDRACERS.COM
Victory Side is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 01:40 AM
  #12  
Tech Initiate
 
christ4life7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 34
Default Hiya from West Virginia

I am starting an off road R/C ministry and I am so glad to hear a few of us out there. I have the area laid out, now all I need is some money..hehehe Anyway, its going to be 35' X 60' and we are going to run 1/10. I'm located in Martinsburg, [email protected]
christ4life7 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 07:44 PM
  #13  
Tech Initiate
 
Trainwreck!!!!!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 34
Default

Originally Posted by Victory Side View Post
Yeah we have started a successful ministry in RC. We race indoor carpet oval and road course. Also in our parking lot in summer we run asphalt oval. Another one of the farmers in the church said he would give us a plot of land to do an offroad track. But that adventure had yet to happen.

We use a trackmate timing system. DO NOT get it! Get I-Lap or AMB. If you want your track to be legit in every way get good equipment. We use a system of PVC gutter with wood screwed inside with hook Velcro (self-adhesive on the bottom). It is transportable as our gym is used on a daily basis. Do not bother with rubber tires on TC, use foam with NO compound or else there will be serious troubles with the board of trustees.

We run ST and TC and 1/10 & 1/12 pan for oval. Outside we run anything guys bring. WE have a strong base of 30 racers and Each guys races multiple classes.
If there is one thing I would do, as God has expanded the ministry I really wish I would have gone with AMB. It is so universal and much better, but now I have guys invested with transponders in the Trackmate and can't really change.

LONG POST I KNOW, I will be praying for your ministry. What type of racing are you planning on doing? Check out the website to
I have got two thumbs up from our Childrens minister and the senior min is all excited and now he want all the ministers and the senior elder to meet with me to go over a game plan and see what my goals are and my vison . I am in the process of contacting Losi to help us out to get this off the ground see if I can get some 1/18th scale trucks or micros . Also I have contacted Hobbytown that is only a few miles away to help be the local hobby shop sponsor to help us out !! I plan on contacting my older sponsors for like Batteries and maybe fuel .
The main thing is Family time no entry fees at first this is just for fun to draw interest and then we can get serious with it if it takes off . if not oh well no loss. Well pray for us here at Northside Christian Church R/C Racers.
Oh and the sen Minister want to do a slot car track one day and then have everyone in for Icecream and then watch Cars the movie in our new Childrens Ministry Wing . Check it out at www.northsidekids.com

Thanks all for any help and support and PRAYERS !!
Brett "BigBrett"
Trainwreck!!!!! is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 03:34 AM
  #14  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (13)
 
pharkingfast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: australia
Posts: 755
Trader Rating: 13 (88%+)
Default

hi there

Last edited by pharkingfast; 06-21-2008 at 07:36 PM.
pharkingfast is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 11:52 AM
  #15  
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Stockton, Ca
Posts: 1,480
Default

Originally Posted by Mr. Shookie View Post
I think thats great.
Careful about running RC's on carpet they do leave some rubber or foam which ever you use so make sure the senior Pastor knows before signing off on it...
Wouldn't want to see a brother in the Lord get a scolding to...lol

Best way to us RC as an out reach is word of mouth. If you have other tracks around that race on Sundays, you can offer up racing on Saturday as not to compete for racers.

Hope that helps,
-Shookie <><
For sure and make sure Senior Pastor knows about it!! Just returned from our AG church and ran my 2s LiPo, foam tire Mini Cooper around the indoor basketball/utility room.---oops! But on a positive note, received Lots of prayer to find somewhere that is carpeted to race. (but it sure ran good--fast and fun!) Praise the Lord for all things anyway!!
bowl806 is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service