Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > Club Forums > R/C Racers 4 Christ
How do you accept this hobby? >

How do you accept this hobby?

How do you accept this hobby?

Old 06-04-2007, 04:24 PM

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default How do you accept this hobby?

I am struggling with my new found drive to start racing. I am beginning to feel that this hobby brings me down. I enjoy it but seeing as my family and I are struggling with cash I feel that I am wrong to even to be in the hobby.

I started running more often on our track and I found that I really like it. Bashing is one thing but to really be good at driving on a track takes skill and practice. I also need money to do so..

I was considering going the truggy route as its still fun to run around on the block but a capable racer it would still be.

So...how do you guys work this out? I ask the Lord to help me to understand this. I ask Him to give me guidance. I am not out buying something expensive but this is not a cheap hobby to begin with.

Please help me out.. I am going to either race or just get out altogether.
Old 06-04-2007, 04:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Jon I feel for you...
Trust me I do....
I haven't been able to race for months and probably won't for three to four more months do to fighting Cancer.

I would suggest that if you are upon harder financial times to try to budget in once a month racing. Even if you can not practice like you want, I found that racing even just once in a while a real treat and it doesn't cost anything to clean, and rebuild your ride while your not racing.

I have too many RC's that I don't even run but once or twice a year, but I really enjoy it when I do.
Try to focus on the part you really enjoy. Don't put pressure on winning, put it on the fellowship or just the participation.
Without holding yourself to really high expectations you are leaving yourself open to enjoy the hobby fully.

I have raced at a very high level and yes it is expensive, once I gave up on trying to be the next world champ and really just focused on enjoying the tinkering, rebuilding and setup I found the real JOY in RC...Plus to be a shining light in a at times very dark(spiritually) place has been the high light of the day.

But to leave the hobby completely cause you can not afford it right now is a little harsh. Sometimes its OK to put your car on shelf until you come into more disposable income. The Lord would rather you put your family first. But I have found that there are short periods of time where I can not afford the hobby, like when the hot water heater broke, the A/C motor seized, wifes windshield and my side window of my explorer all happened in the same month....I had to wait three months before I could play again.

Its just a hobby and by its definition in the dictionary "something you do in free time with disposable income".

I am glad you are seeking God's Will and Praying....You can never go wrong there.

I hope this has helped in some way.
Please let me know.
I will pray for you as well.
-Shookie <><
Old 06-04-2007, 05:06 PM

Wow.. so simple but it helped me a great deal now that I think of it as you put it. I have been thinking of the whole picture of winning but i forgot about what being in this hobby is about fun.

I have been trying to make this a hobby that our church kids can enjoy.

I know that the Lord has provided everything in my life. I am sure of that. I just want to be able to show the kids a good time and be able to help them wrench their cars. Teach them a few things to help them get into the hobby.

Dicovering this hobby is really fun and exciting. Having fun with it and showing everyone that we have this because Our Lord has provided it is what I am trying to accomplish.

I guess I have lost sight of ot altogether when I really think about. I wanted to get kids excited about this but to also teach them to act differently than what is on the track. Respect for others, no foul language, good sportsmanship and above all giving thanks that the Lord provided it.

Thanks Shookie again for great advice. Thank you for helping me get that straightened. I amy not have the funds to do so as much as I like but to budget it is sensible.

I will keep you in my prayers too my friend.
Jon
Old 06-04-2007, 05:19 PM
Tech Elite

Glad I could help,
Thank you for your prayers...
My back is my #1 complaint as of right now...the pain relievers are just enough to keep me from wanting to throw things..LOL

The muscle relaxers cause all kinds of bad side effects so I am stuck with pain killers. Guess the Lord has His plan in all this...

I could also use prayer for my walk....Its not that I am struggling with faith, more that I have not been putting HIM first in my life.
-Shookie <><
Old 06-04-2007, 05:24 PM

I will definitely keep praying for you. I too find myself putting others things up top rather than the Lord.

I will keep praying for you my friend.
Old 06-05-2007, 09:12 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Great advise Shookie!!!! That is what I have to do also. I like to win but I like to eat more LOL

I'm praying for your back right now

Jeff
Old 06-05-2007, 02:47 PM
Tech Elite

Your prayers are working...
I haven't had to take the strong stuff today...
Just some tylinole...
So Thanks,
-Shookie <><
Old 06-09-2007, 05:30 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Shookie,
Great answers to questions I have struggled with for years. I have asked people at church over the years and they have told me.
1. God
2. Family
3. job
4. hobby

I think you have to serve God in all of these. Daily take up your cross and follow Jesus.

Shooke I will pray for your relief, healing and peace.
God Bless
Bryan
Old 06-28-2007, 03:24 PM
Tech Rookie

I should start by saying that curiosity brought me to the "RC Racers for Jesus" forum. I was raised Catholic, went to Catholic schools, and I believe in God, but not the way you guys do. I don't think God is a stuffy old man in a white beard. I don't believe he's always thinking about me, but I know he'll never forget me. I don't believe he want's me to feel guilty whenever I have fun, or experience pleasure. In fact, I'd like to think that in heaven they have glitch-free RC operation. If God wanted us to be miserable, wouldn't life really suck?

When I was young and wanted a hot-rod, my mother said it was a sin to own a car like that. But then, she called my friends "heathens", and the local bar a "den of iniquity". (no kidding) I made it through all that without too much damage, but I think I decided a long time ago that God just isn't the "angry schoolmaster" some perceive him to be. Take care of your obligations, but NEVER stop having fun!
Old 06-28-2007, 03:24 PM
Tech Rookie

Oops, double posted.
Old 06-28-2007, 10:06 PM
Tech Elite

OH Boy,
I perceive the father as that, a DAD.
He desires the very best for HIS kids.
He can not be in the presence of sin so HE sent HIS Son to be the blood sacrifice so HE we(those who believe in HIS son)could again have communion with HIM.
He wants us to enjoy the things of this world in moderation. He never said you can not have a beer. Paul said if it would cause another brother to sin that he wouldn't. And we aren't to be drunkards.
I love RC but I love GOD/JESUS more.
Its all about perspective.

I really hope you don't think us(Christians) as WE ARE HOLYIER THAN THOU...
Cause man I sin everyday....granted I try not to...but I am still a sinner, with a savior mind ya...LOL

P.S. I was Catholic as well before I came to realize that I wanted to know my CREATOR not just hear about HIM on Sundays. I am a non-denominational Christian now. Its all about JESUS..

-Shookie <><