Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > Club Forums > R/C Racers 4 Christ
Youth Directors / Pastors / Ministers.... >

Youth Directors / Pastors / Ministers....

Youth Directors / Pastors / Ministers....

Old 04-04-2006, 08:23 AM
PD2
Tech Master

Default Youth Directors / Pastors / Ministers....

Hi!

I know it has been a while since I posted, but wanted to let you know that as of last December my wife and I became Youth Directors at our church. While this is our first step into be responsible directly for imparting God's plan and purpose and Word into specified lives, we know that we will seek Him and His leading just as we have in our own lives.

The purpose of this post was to see if there are any other Youth Directors/Pastors/Ministers that are part of the Holy Rollers Team. The Bible is clear when it says that we are to seek fellowship with those of like spirits and I think this is a perfect place and opportunity to fellowship with one another and share what God is doing in and through our ministries. It is also a perfect opportunity to discuss if you have introduced your Youth group to R/C (if they were not introduced to it already) and how were you lead to introduce it. What was the reaction? What has God done through it since allowing it into his plan and purpose? Etc.

Hope this thread informs and blesses those that are in service to God as well as attracts those to this portion of God's work that they may have never been attracted to before.

Have a blessed day!
PD2
Old 04-06-2006, 01:18 AM

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Post again!

I posted this yesterday, or at least I tried to. I must have only previewed it rather than posted it.

RC ministry can be very cool and very rewarding.

I have made three attempts at church based RC clubs. The first one went best. That second two with less success, but I am looking forward to a new move and a new opportunity to start up a club in a new location.

The first club was in Merced California. I was a youth pastor and I had some extra youth budget that I needed to use or lose. I went to a local hobby shop and got talked into a Hobby-Tech HT1 and then bought a bunch of 2x4s to build a track. I would advertise at that hobby shop as well. At first I started pulling in a lot of normally unchurched guys, then youth group kids started showing up. PC9840 came to Christ during that time. He later became one of the best students in my youth group. PC9840 was a very key person in the establishment of rctech.net. His step-mom and sister have also now come to Christ. RC ministry changed his life and his family's.

I became youth pastor at New Life Korean Pres. in Portland Oregon. I could not manage to get any of the students to buy a RC car. We didn't have our own church property, so it made it impossible for me to set up a weekly club. But I did buy 3 mini-z cars that I would bring out for special youth events and let the students race.

Later I became associate pastor at Weed Berean Church in Northern California and made another attempt at an RC club. Unfortunately the area is fairly financially depressed and there is no local hobby shops. I brought in used RC cars to people to purchase and got donations of batteries and tires. But when people got the cars, they weren't faithful to show up and race or encourage others to come. (Something I never had a problem with in Merced, when we would have 30 racers sometime show up). I ran the club about 16 times and then ended it. There would be times when I was the only one to race. I turned my attention to starting at Celebrate Recovery chapter (Biblically Based 12 Step Program that is a Purpose Driven Ministry). Maybe I will get an opportunity to run both a CR chapter and an RC club at the next place.

I have interviewed with churches in Vancouver, BC, Everett, WA, Tempe, AZ, Walsh, CO, and just applied at Spokane, WA. I would make the club available to any of those communities, if I get called to go there.

RC ministry can be incredible.
Old 04-06-2006, 04:32 AM
PD2
Tech Master

Wow! Thanks for sharing Cmotif! That is awesome - basically, without your first attempt at the RC ministry in Merced we would not be posting on this stie at all! That is an awesome testimony considering how large this site has grown too! Praise God!

Our church definitely owns plenty of property that is 100% ours that I could do some sort of track setup on - dirt or concrete. It sounds like you did a combination of supplying the cars and equipment as well as had the Youth buy some of their own, correct? In the area where our church is the nearest track is about an hours drive so this might work as a community outreach as well - and yes, I'd figure that you would get a lot of the unchurched. Would make it interesting for leading them all to the Lord.

Thanks again for sharing! I greatly appreciate it and will definitely give it some more thought!

Any one else?

PD2
Old 04-06-2006, 08:20 AM

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

As much as possible, you want to have people with their own cars. Then they will have more ownership in the process. Otherwise if you have loaners, they will get beat to death buy people who think that it is fun to smash them into things.

We set up the track on one area and opened up the youth group room and another classroom. The youth group room allowed people to play PS2, foosball, have doughnuts, and the other room was set up as the pit area. We wanted to make sure that the racers felt welcome when they arrived.

Cmotif <><
Old 04-06-2006, 09:12 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

That's really neat! It's great that God gave you the opportunity to minister in that way!
Old 04-06-2006, 01:24 PM
Tech Rookie

Well, even though I am a total noobie at RC, I figured I would pop in here and say hi. I have been involved in youth ministry for almost 11 years now at the same church (believe it or not...)

I have a student that has alot of RC stuff, and I have wanted to do it for a long time, and now my 5 year old son really wants me to get an RC, so I am going to make the jump to a gas powered truck...thinking of getting the LST2 truck. Want it to be able to be "played with" but not abused...heard it was a good truck, but I am starting at ground zero here. I hope that I am able to draw some teens into this, not just my regulars, but some new kids as well.

God's best to you in ministry. While there are all kinds of ways to do ministry and tons of different ministry hooks (such as RC) don't ever forget that we are all about making disciples. Youth that grow up yearning for a long term relationship with God.

Anyways, take care, and I hope that ministry is as rewarding for you as it has been for me over the last 11 years.
Old 04-12-2006, 12:30 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Sweeet To See This Topic

hello, im new to this site.I think its is so cool to see you ALL lifting up in Christ, i Also have a Christian base club/clan for some video games.and we all get together all over the usa and meet for the weekend.so i would like to let you all know that if you need anything just let me know.heres my site www.1GodClan.com and my company is www.egsyv.com. and allways GoD Is Good.
jim kieffer aka Romans