Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > Club Forums > R/C Racers 4 Christ
Did Paul think that Jesus would return in His lifetime? >

Did Paul think that Jesus would return in His lifetime?

Did Paul think that Jesus would return in His lifetime?

Old 12-08-2018, 07:41 AM
Tech Rookie

Questions?? Did Paul think that Jesus would return in His lifetime?

Did the apostle Paul think that Jesus would return during his lifetime? Maybe I'm interpreting it wrongly, but he kind of gave the impression that he did think so in some of his epistles. I know that Peter probably knew that he was going to be martyred cause Jesus pretty much told him at the end of The Gospel Of John, but what about Paul? Did he know that he would die before Jesus' Second Coming?

Share your opinions below.
Old 12-10-2018, 11:55 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I am troubled because there are certain arguments in the Christian community that would tend to reverse the benefit that we can gain from the scriptures. The two arguments I hear is this:
  1. Some are troubled that Both Jesus and God would lie about when Jesus was coming again.
  2. Some say that the prophecies were written especially for God's people living when the books were written. Not now, not for the last days!
It is clear when reading the New Testament, that it's writers believed that Jesus was coming for them very shortly. In their letters to God's people, they outlined what was to come as if it were coming in their day.

We would also have to say that Paul and the other apostles wrote of God's soon coming to specific people and churches that they knew; because In their heart, they thought that the people they personally knew (in their day) was to be the last generation of this Earth!

The apostles thought Jesus would come in their day, but He did not. Instead, what Paul, John and the other apostles were describing was really to happen way in the future, the future that is to occur in the last generation.

If this is true, then can we continue to say that all the books of the Bible were only written for those who lived in the past. No! I should say not!

All along, God has designed things so that God's book would always be relevant to God's people because the Bible is pointing to an event that is yet to happen. It is to happen in the last days of this Earth's history.

So I feel that the Books of the Bible were written especially for the last generation of this world. This is true whether the writers of the Bible were aware of this fact or not. God designed it by limiting their knowledge of when this world would end. He didn't lie, He just did not tell us everything.
Old 10-09-2019, 06:09 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Lucian Hodoboc View Post
Did the apostle Paul think that Jesus would return during his lifetime? Maybe I'm interpreting it wrongly, but he kind of gave the impression that he did think so in some of his epistles. I know that Peter probably knew that he was going to be martyred cause Jesus pretty much told him at the end of The Gospel Of John, but what about Paul? Did he know that he would die before Jesus' Second Coming?

Share your opinions below.
The Bible transcends time, and is as current and relevant today as it was then. Answering your question, and this was a recent discussion discussion in my Sunday School class, yes, the contemporary people believed that the re-establishment of the Nation of Israel would happen during their time. They were told through prophecy that this would be the case, and therefore it would be reasonable to think that with Jesus being part of their timing, that the new nation would be established. Of course, I believe that it could still happen in our time, we just don't know. This is why Jesus spoke about the parables of the oil in the lamp - - always be prepared for the timing of the brides-groom arrival.

I hope that helps.

Bill