Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Painting, Designs, Graphics and Photography > R/C Photography
Best entry level DSLR Setup... Yes I hate these questions too! >

Best entry level DSLR Setup... Yes I hate these questions too!

Best entry level DSLR Setup... Yes I hate these questions too!

Old 02-03-2010, 12:59 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)
Default Best entry level DSLR Setup... Yes I hate these questions too!

Hey guys...

First off.. YES! I hate it when somebody posts a thread like this.... But I'm at my whits end trying to compare all the different options.

So I just figured I'd ask you guys.

What I'm after is an Entry Level DSLR Setup that meets my requirements.

I know how I am... I get all excited about something and try it out for awhile just to figure out I don't really care for it.

So for now I don't wanna blow a whole wad of cash on a DSLR setup not knowing if I'll stick it out.

So I'd even consider used setups. Whatever you guys think would be best.

Here's what I want to do with it...

1) RC Photography - Obviously! Indoor and outdoor... Day and Night.

2) Still Shots - I want to try some artsy fartsy stuff of like my full scale cars, people, landscapes, etc.

3) I've always wanted to try some extended shutter opening weather shots of like lightning and such.

Basically I'm looking for something that a complete newb to photography could get into and enjoy enough to see if I like it enough to upgrade to better gear.

I'd need a list of lenses and accessories as well for whatever camera you all think would be best.

I know it would be best for me to tell you a budget that I want to spend... But that's not how I want to look at this... I want to spend what I need to to get something decent enough for a newb.

Let me know what you think!

Thanks!

-David
Old 02-03-2010, 01:10 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default DSLR camera

Really the best way to decide is to compare the major manufacturers offerings, read reviews of them on CNET.com and make your choice and don't look back!

I did this a couple of years ago, bought a Canon Rebel XSI. Came with two (2) lenses, enough to get you started, and majority of needed accessories to get you up and running.
You can then "shop around" either at camera stores, big box retailers like "Best Buy" or even internet

I found my best deal on Amazon, came from a camera shop in NY, and all was great with that transaction. i still get information from them now periodically.

Take your time, make your choice, buy it and don't look back, almost as addicting as RC Racing!
Old 02-03-2010, 01:38 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by rkj4243
Really the best way to decide is to compare the major manufacturers offerings, read reviews of them on CNET.com and make your choice and don't look back!

I did this a couple of years ago, bought a Canon Rebel XSI. Came with two (2) lenses, enough to get you started, and majority of needed accessories to get you up and running.
You can then "shop around" either at camera stores, big box retailers like "Best Buy" or even internet

I found my best deal on Amazon, came from a camera shop in NY, and all was great with that transaction. i still get information from them now periodically.

Take your time, make your choice, buy it and don't look back, almost as addicting as RC Racing!
LOL... Thats the problem! I been trying for about 8 months now to decide on something and I can't pull the trigger on anything!

DOH!

I'm kinda leaning towards a Nikon D60 Setup... But I'm not sure. LOL
Old 02-03-2010, 06:55 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default Camera

Nikon or Canon??? Make your choice wisely based on things like are or will the lenses be intercahngeable with older or newer model cameras?

Lenses are really the determining factor, as the camera is only as good as the lense.

I shopped for a long time, decided on a Canon, due to fact of lens interchangability and my cousin is a professional photographer and he uses a Canon, although the "top of the line" model compared to my purchase.

Mine has suited my wants and needs, and it is a purchase that I don't ever believe will be questioned or second guessed.

Adorama Camera was where I purchased mine from, very helpful people, and information on their website as well as Amazon.

PM me if you have any further questions.
Old 02-03-2010, 07:30 PM
Tech Adept

My advice..

Go with something you can count on having good lenses and a good overall system. To me, that means Canon or Nikon; remember, the lenses are where your money is, not the body..you'll change it many times over and keep using the lenses if you invest in good glass.

Reviews wise.. stevesdigicams and dpreview both have excellent forums, etc and are worth taking a look.

In reality, you won't go wrong with the top manufacturers, just make sure you don't forget to do one very important thing.. go put your hands on them and see which 'feels' better. Its like buying a new radio..if it doesn't feel right it will be akward at times you'd rather it not be

Online vendors can be a huge pain, so I'd highly recommend going with the more reputable ones.. places like bhphotovideo.com; if you find something a lot cheaper than they sell it, its probably a scam. Between them and Adorama you should be able to find anything you need at a good price, and know you're not getting screwed.

Personally, I've had several Canon bodies (I currently use a 40d, with a 7d coming soon) and use mostly L series glass (the 70-200 F2.8L is my workhorse) so if you go the Canon route and have any questions, feel free to drop me a line.
Old 02-06-2010, 11:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

I'm pretty much a newb too, I started out a year ago with a Nikon D40, sold it, and I shouldn't have.

I just recently got me a D60 with the 2 lens (18-55 and 55-200 VR) kit. I love it, takes great pictures.

If you're wanting to take indoor RC or low light, I would definately look into a tripod, and a good lens with as low of a F Stop as you can find.

My next lens will be the 70-200 macro F2.8
Old 02-08-2010, 05:59 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Welp...

Unless somebody tells me otherwise I'm gonna pick me up a Nikon D60 this week.

I've got a buddy of mine... (at least for awhile... He's fighting a loosing battle with cancer.. ) who runs some of the really high end Nikons, so at least I'll have somebody local to help me out with getting started. Maybe even be able to borrow some lenses to try out.

I think the D60 looks to be a pretty decent value.

Let me know what ya'll think... I'll probably be ordering something around Wednesday.

-David
Old 02-08-2010, 07:50 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

I say get it and don't look back. Unless you're going into photography as a business, I think the D60 will be all you need, and more!

I took a few pictures of us on the track yesterday, these are with the kit lenses too, I was shooting all manual, and I don't have a clue as to what I'm doing....

Old 02-14-2010, 03:06 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Message from Helen at Adorama Camera

Originally Posted by rkj4243
Adorama Camera was where I purchased mine from, very helpful people, and information on their website.....
Originally Posted by Jason_R
Online vendors can be a huge pain, so I'd highly recommend going with the more reputable ones.....Between them and Adorama you should be able to find anything you need at a good price, and know you're not getting screwed.
Thanks so much for the feedback, which is very much appreciated.
Please don't forget that if you are purchasing from the US, to check the customer ratings and feedback at reselleratings.com before parting with your cc details.

If you ever need after-sales advice advice or support with an order from Adorama Camera, please don't hesitate to contact me directly.
Old 02-14-2010, 04:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

I agree with the general consensus of this thread...either Nikon or Canon. Personally, I've been shooting with a D40x the past two seasons. I recently purchased a D90. The main reason was so I can AF with my 50. I have the "cheapy" non motorized version, which if I recall correct, can be had around $100. With that lens and the kit 18-55, on my 40x, I've been able to pull off shots like these...

I would also recomend scouring the pages of www.kenrockwell.com . Lots of excellent info, in a very laymens term manner.
Adorama, bhphoto, Ritz camera, are among the more reputable options. If you choose to purchase from Ebay, be very careful. I do know Adorama has auctions there as well as Cameta Auctions. Personally, as far as Ebay goes, I wouldn't be much inclined to trust any others.
Old 02-21-2010, 01:17 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

You can't go wrong with either Nikon or Canon. Neither is better and neither is worse. It will come down to preference.

After you get your camera, it will come down to practice. Most of the RC that I shoot are statics:

Old 03-07-2010, 08:11 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

if you can afford to get a nikon d90 go for it. it packs good features including good noise control on high iso shots so you could also do panning shots even if the lighting condition is poor.

or you could get a cheaper camera and buy a faster lens (primes f/1.8 or those f/2.8 zoom lens)

nikon or canon, it doesn't matter.

indoor event
Old 09-26-2010, 03:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)

So what did you get David?

Here are a couple taken with my T1i...

...Jim
W.E.D.
www.wedjim.com
Old 10-05-2010, 11:21 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Hey Jim!

Actually I had to hold off for a bit... Had some things come up.

I'm workin' a deal with boomgagem there I believe for his D60... Just waiting on him to decide what sounds fair.

I'll let you know what happens...
Old 10-06-2010, 03:00 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

If anyone has any specific Canon or Nikon questions feel free to hit me up... my girlfriend and I run a side photography business and I use both systems pretty frequently...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.