R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   R/C Items: Wanted to Buy (https://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-items-wanted-buy-17/)
-   -   Starter RC for 11 y/o newphew... (https://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-items-wanted-buy/865118-starter-rc-11-y-o-newphew.html)

Greenhorn2014 02-28-2015 07:01 AM

Starter RC for 11 y/o nephew...

Hey yall...I've got a nephew that wants to get into the hobby. He wants a monster truck. I've been looking at the 1/10 - 2wd ECX Ruckus RTR.

I have a strong feeling that if he gets into this that he will like it and then want to start racing, which is fine. So I would like some ideas on what to get him instead of the monster truck. Short course truck, stadium truck, I know these can be converted into oval racers. Any help would be great. If you have anything for sale that you think would be a good starter please let me know. Take into consideration that he's 11 and just starting, never touched a RC vehicle in his life. So this would be a learning experience for him and his dad. He will be paying toward this also. If you need check my credibility just ask DC Smith (smitty2802) he will verify.

1. Looking for a RTR 1/10 brush-less setup.
2. Starter tools for a novice RC.

Thanks in advance for your time,

Greenhorn2014

Larcor69 02-28-2015 08:02 PM

My Opinion, get a monster truck, it what he wants, hopefully that will keep his interest, then as he matures go towards a more racing type of vehicle, went through this with my grandson

ssmilie 02-28-2015 09:01 PM

If you can check to see what the track around you allows for their beginners class. If they have a class that will allow it get a Traxxas a Stampede. It would be a much better starter than an ECX. If that won't work get him some kind of Traxxas. They are the most durable best starter vehicles on the market. On their VXL versions they also have the tranner mode. Best of luck and if your interested I have a Slash 2wd VXL I am going to put up for sale if it dosnt get bought locally tomorrow.

Rob4607 02-28-2015 09:32 PM

I got my son (5yo) the ECX circuit 4wd, he has beat the hell out if it, his friends have beat the hell out of it and it won't die, I even upgraded it to the castle sct pro combo.

My brother inlaw has the ruckus and I threw in a vxl3 velenion or however it's spedd and that thing freaking filed now. Dealing with some heat bit it has too small a pinion for the high grass he keeps running it through.

The Ecx for the price is hard to beat for trying to start him out on. Meaning if he doesn't like it you only out a bill, bill and a half.

I bought an extra ecx circuit 4x4 as a extra incase he has a buddy so one isn't left out on eBay. It was brand new, rtr, no box. The only thing missing was the charger that I'd throw away anyway for like 90 bucks. It was too good to pass up.

now we have the yeti Xl, yeti 1/10, multiple losi 8ight truggy's, 8ight buggy, mbx7T'Es, mbx7E, latrax rally's, a teton, mini T, and a quad copter, so basically be careful what you start.....