Wiki Posts
Search

New to hobby need somrthing to get started

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 11:29 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default New to hobby need somrthing to get started

Hello as it says new to hobby 2 of my friends just bought new nitro cars and I am stuck watching them have fun. I currently have 3 kids and only income is unemployment so hoping someone has something laying around they no longer use that I might be able to buy at a resonable price. Let me know what you have and what you would need to get for it and hopefully ill be able to have some fun as well even looking for a fixer upper that i could work on buy parts here and there if need be thanks for your time.
Old 05-20-2011, 12:12 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

Just to let you know you are going to get a LOT of responses to this post. Hold out for something that you like for a good price. If you are not sure if the price is good or not look on ebay for the same item and then it should be cheaper on here. If you are new I would recomend electric to start with. Its cheaper and with brushless motors and esc you will have a lot of runtime and power. If you keep looking I am sure you will fine a whole running vehical posably with a battery or 2 and charger for $120 or less shipped to you ready to go. If you are new you also don't want a project vehical. All the little things that seem small add up quickly. Just as a example look up a set of wheels with tires used, you are still looking at least $20 on that. If you have any questions feal free to ask but keep in mind that some people on here are going to try and take full advantage of a newcomer. Now with all of that in mind you might try looking for a Traxxas brand vehical like a Rustler, Bandit, or Slash. Many places have spare parts for these and they are veary durable. Try looking up Amain hobbies or Tower hobbies and see if you can buy something new, youu can get some stuff for around $160. If you are looking at stuff for less than the $80 mark you are going to get somthing that needs a lot more money and work than its worth. Good luck with the hunt.
Old 05-20-2011, 08:23 AM
Tech Master

You looking for nitro as well? Or electric? I have two HPI Blitz short course trucks that are electric that I'm planning on selling. I also have a Mugen MBX5 nitro that I've been meaning to sell but that might end up being more than you want to spend. In fact any nitro is going to cost you more and buying used nitro stuff is always risky because so much abuse can be put on nitro engines that can't be seen from the outside. If you buy a used nitro, you might as well figure a new engine price into your deal because everyone will say they ran less than a gallon of fuel through their engines but often that is an exaggeration and even if not, lots of damage can be done in a gallon if the engine is not properly cared for.

Anyways, PM me if you are interested in either of my cars and we'll see if we can work out a price.
Old 05-20-2011, 11:53 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

I have an HPI RS418SS with a brand new Subaru WRX Body.
Old 05-21-2011, 12:24 AM
Tech Apprentice

nitro or electric just need something to get going for now
Old 05-21-2011, 12:43 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bigle
nitro or electric just need something to get going for now
honestly i would wait until you get a job this is far from a cheap hobby and even if you get a good a deal here parts are expensive
Old 05-22-2011, 06:24 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default found what i needed at a great deal thanks all

is there a way to close the thread
Old 05-22-2011, 08:15 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

i've got a nice ofna nitro buggy in the for sale section for pretty cheap