Like Tree57Likes

Do's and Dont's of selling

Old 02-05-2022, 06:06 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by racer1812 View Post
1) I don't know anyone, other than you apparently, who sets their preferences to show the most recent post first. Why would anyone want to read a thread backwards??

2) Based on the above, posting SOLD on a multi page thread doesn't put it right in anyone's face. It's buried on the last page (obviously) which is why it's annoying, IMO, to scroll through a newly bumped thread just to find out it's sold.

People are going to do whatever they want regardless of what side of this conversation they're on. That's fine, it is the internet after all
Im sorry Racer... I'm so easily baited and can't help myself.

1). If nobody uses that option, why would it even be an option? But, for the sake of boredom, I'll explain it to you quite briefly (surprised I even have to do this with a decade old moderator): - If you have your preferences to read the newest post, first, you don't always have to scroll down to go to "Last Page" in the event you're actively involved in conversations, or have to keep scrolling to get to the latest comment. If you want to read the whole conversation from start to finish, then go ahead and do it once by scrolling back, clicking last page and catch up. Unless you have the memory of a chipmunk, you shouldn't have to start from the beginning every time. ---- And something tells me most people have their preferences this way.

2). Based on the above, posting SOLD on a multi page thread DOES put it right in your face. However, it now makes sense to me why you started that thread based on your preferences. Wish I had the ability to sticky threads to complain about what people do because my site preferences didn't align with their behavior (hmm emoji).

Glad at least I was able to knock out 3 and 4 for ya. Hopefully this satisfies 1 and 2 now.
SideRider likes this.
Old 02-05-2022, 06:19 AM
Suspended

Let's address this whole leaving the price in there stuff and how it tells a story:

Maybe herein lies the secrets of why some people are better at selling / buying that others. No matter, I'll share.

Let's start with a question.... how do good poker players know what you're holding? They can't see your cards... so it shouldn't be possible, right? Yet, many do. Tells such as betting behavior, body language, chip stack and statistic odds all play into knowing someone's hand. Based on this information you can make decisions of how to play your own. So now, let's talk about RCT:

Asking price is rarely the same as what an item sold for. We've established that. But the question is, how accurate IS that asking price? Is it way off kilter or somewhat close? We can find this out a couple of different ways:

-How long did the seller have this item posted before it sold? (Or did it even sell?) - if it has been a significant period of time, or didn't sell at all; we know the person was way high or the item simply has zero interest out of the RC community.
-How many bumps were made prior to selling? 1? 10? More bumps = too high for the market. Less, or damn near none, the asking is in the right spot and you'll get activity on it.

Those are just a couple of ways you can figure out what a good going asking price may be on something you want to sell, or buy. Of course it only works if people stop editing their original post (which is better for sellers anyways for PP disputes as I explained to Racer earlier) and leaving their asking prices in there.

So, mreet2001, off the meds, an A-Hole, or maybe just smarter than you possibly?

You guys done yet? I think I've adequately addressed all of your quips.
SideRider likes this.
Old 02-05-2022, 01:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

An argument is being made that waiting for offer price is better than accepting a discount on a correctly priced item (which is very subjective.) If that were the case, discounts wouldn’t increase sales, but we all know they do. If you had many buyers, then sticking to your correct asking price makes sense, but you don’t know if you will get more offers, or what they will be. I don’t sell a lot, but when I do, I build in room for some negotiation, but everyone is free to do as they like. Btw: since this is an Internet forum, no one is ever done.
Old 02-05-2022, 03:57 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by billjacobs View Post
An argument is being made that waiting for offer price is better than accepting a discount on a correctly priced item (which is very subjective.) If that were the case, discounts wouldn’t increase sales, but we all know they do. If you had many buyers, then sticking to your correct asking price makes sense, but you don’t know if you will get more offers, or what they will be. I don’t sell a lot, but when I do, I build in room for some negotiation, but everyone is free to do as they like. Btw: since this is an Internet forum, no one is ever done.
Haha, that is so true - nobody is ever done LOL!

My only thing to what you said is the fact that 95% of people who are posting things on here are putting it up for a "sale price". Nobody will pay retail for anything on the secondary market (or very rarely), so right out of the gate people are discounted on whatever they are selling. Some more than others. If you choose to stay a little higher to have some room to negotiate, that's one strategy. However, if you put something up for what everyone knows is a great deal (40% off or more) and it's either new, or practically new, there's no reason to negotiate - you'll get your asking.

I used to give myself a little breathing room in my asking prices, but it's exhausting to keep going back and forth with people. Especially people in the RC community who'll walk from a deal over $2.00. I'd just rather say "no" and save myself the time, effort and most of all - aggravation. People are slowly stopping being pawn stars and are just paying what someone is asking so long as it's a good deal.
Old 02-06-2022, 08:58 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ExRCRacer View Post
You guys done yet? I think I've adequately addressed all of your quips.
You literally never answered my very first question.
First sentence… first post after you posted this new “rule”
Old 02-06-2022, 04:37 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by mrreet2001 View Post
You literally never answered my very first question.
First sentence… first post after you posted this new “rule”
You actually asked a few questions that I was answering. Hopefully I answered your first question in the course of a week long discussion, but nevertheless... your answer is: Use some common sense (if possible).
Old 02-07-2022, 12:19 PM
Tech Master

You actually asked a few questions that I was answering. Hopefully I answered your first question in the course of a week long discussion, but nevertheless... your answer is: Use some common sense (if possible).
Common sense says $5 is a reasonable amount to negotiate depending on the price of the item.
Old 02-07-2022, 12:26 PM
Suspended

Common sense says $5 is a reasonable amount to negotiate depending on the price of the item.
Sigh... now I have to give you an explanation of common sense in this scenario? Ok... here's a quickie:

Common sense would dictate that if you're willing to pay all but $5.00 for an item, just pay the $5.00 and save people the headache.
Old 02-07-2022, 01:12 PM
Tech Master

Sigh... now I have to give you an explanation of common sense in this scenario? Ok... here's a quickie:

Common sense would dictate that if you're willing to pay all but $5.00 for an item, just pay the $5.00 and save people the headache.
So answer my first question.
"So what is the magic threshold that we are allowed offering?"

Your "common sense" would dictate you would pay 6 dollars for a 1 dollar part. Just pay the extra $5.
Old 02-07-2022, 04:05 PM
Suspended

So answer my first question.
"So what is the magic threshold that we are allowed offering?"

Your "common sense" would dictate you would pay 6 dollars for a 1 dollar part. Just pay the extra $5.
You're just trolling at this point because I refuse to believe you're that stupid.
Old 02-07-2022, 06:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Removing the price from sold items is still not my favorite thing.
ExRCRacer and SideRider like this.
Old 02-08-2022, 04:55 AM
Tech Master

You're just trolling at this point because I refuse to believe you're that stupid.
You still have not answered my question.
Old 02-08-2022, 08:25 AM
Suspended

You still have not answered my question.
Sheesh, maybe you are
Old 02-08-2022, 08:49 AM
Tech Master

Sheesh, maybe you are
Well go ahead and quote where you answered the question.
If we can't offer $5 less WHAT ARE WE ALLOWED TO OFFER?
Old 02-08-2022, 11:46 AM
Regional Moderator

Wow. All this back and forth reads like an old politics thread.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.