Like Tree58Likes

Do's and Dont's of selling

Old 02-03-2022, 06:06 AM
  #931  
Tech Master
iTrader: (64)
 
billjacobs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Rockville, MD
Posts: 1,410
Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)
Default

Anyone that is willing to buy your item at a reasonable price is not a pain in the ass. You may be skilled at perfectly pricing your item, many are not. Many of the ads I see have very high starting prices. I believe that many sellers purposefully overprice their item (to varying degrees) so that they have room to negotiate, that makes sense. If you price an item at $100, willing to take $80 and someone offers $95, is it really better to stick to the $100? After looking at the seller feedback section, most disputes arise either from complete scams, or misrepresentations of condition. Any seller that posts an absolute minimum price is leaving money on the table. I would also add that just as the buyer wants to “ get a deal”, so does the seller.
mrreet2001 likes this.
billjacobs is offline  
Old 02-03-2022, 06:23 AM
  #932  
Tech Master
iTrader: (64)
 
billjacobs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Rockville, MD
Posts: 1,410
Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)
Default

One more thing. Instead of adding a post to say “sold”, simply change the second post to “sold.” If everyone did that, the original asking price would remain, and sellers would have an idea of a good starting price. This wouldn’t work if there was only one post, but would work for the rest.
billjacobs is offline  
Old 02-03-2022, 06:43 AM
  #933  
R/C Tech Elite Member
iTrader: (139)
 
TeamSkunkwerks's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 2,275
Trader Rating: 139 (100%+)
Arrow Price

Originally Posted by billjacobs View Post
One more thing. Instead of adding a post to say “sold”, simply change the second post to “sold.” If everyone did that, the original asking price would remain, and sellers would have an idea of a good starting price. This wouldn’t work if there was only one post, but would work for the rest.
That & just put the price in the title line. If anyone is half interested, they will see if the price has been lowered or ad was updated.
TeamSkunkwerks is offline  
Old 02-03-2022, 07:33 AM
  #934  
Suspended
iTrader: (22)
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 929
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by billjacobs View Post
Anyone that is willing to buy your item at a reasonable price is not a pain in the ass. You may be skilled at perfectly pricing your item, many are not. Many of the ads I see have very high starting prices. I believe that many sellers purposefully overprice their item (to varying degrees) so that they have room to negotiate, that makes sense. If you price an item at $100, willing to take $80 and someone offers $95, is it really better to stick to the $100? After looking at the seller feedback section, most disputes arise either from complete scams, or misrepresentations of condition. Any seller that posts an absolute minimum price is leaving money on the table. I would also add that just as the buyer wants to “ get a deal”, so does the seller.
If someone is willing to offer $95.00 on a $100.00 item, it's clear you are priced right, or else they'd be offering $75 or something 10% to 30% lower. To offer $5.00 below asking price, then walking away when the seller doesn't agree is ridiculous. Like I said before... it's just people wanting to negotiate for the sake of negotiating.

Also just want to quickly add that sellers aren't trying to get "good deals". They are trying to mitigate losses. 95% of people on here usually post their start asking price at something below MSRP, whether it be 5% less, or 50% less, they are taking a loss right from the start. The market determines how reasonable the loss is depending on current sales on new items, condition, brand, etc... Sellers are never trying to get a deal, they are trying to minimize losses. Buyers on the other hand are always deal hunting, but again, if they want to negotiate over $5.00, they are $h1tty negotiators all together if you ask me.

Originally Posted by billjacobs View Post
One more thing. Instead of adding a post to say “sold”, simply change the second post to “sold.” If everyone did that, the original asking price would remain, and sellers would have an idea of a good starting price. This wouldn’t work if there was only one post, but would work for the rest.
This is a good idea and preserves the original post. I like that. Only problem is, it still requires people to scroll down if there's been several posts on the tread (bumps or conversation). Often, people will click the ad, shoot right down to the main description then PM - likely skipping right over the sold post. I think this is better though than editing the original ad.

Originally Posted by TeamSkunkwerks View Post
That & just put the price in the title line. If anyone is half interested, they will see if the price has been lowered or ad was updated.
I've tried doing this, but I found for some reason I couldn't edit it. Could have been something I was doing wrong, Idk...
SideRider likes this.
ExRCRacer is offline  
Old 02-03-2022, 08:15 AM
  #935  
Tech Master
iTrader: (64)
 
billjacobs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Rockville, MD
Posts: 1,410
Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)
Default

Most everything you buy in RC will be a loss unless you buy RC lots far below actual worth to resell. You said that many buyers are compulsive and buy for the sake of buying and for the deal. If that is true, then the deal becomes the primary reason for why they buy your item (it is not because they need it.) Therefore, taking $5 less makes perfect sense, and you are actually capping your loss. Also, I am not sure if I agree with your statement that most are trying to minimize their loss. If they are selling out, then yes, but if they are selling to buy something else, they are indirectly trading. If they were strictly looking at the losses, I am not sure how many would continue with RC (because it is a money pit), regardless of how well you do when you sell.
mrreet2001 likes this.

Last edited by billjacobs; 02-03-2022 at 11:59 AM.
billjacobs is offline  
Old 02-03-2022, 12:57 PM
  #936  
Tech Master
iTrader: (9)
 
mrreet2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NW Ohio
Posts: 1,548
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by ExRCRacer View Post
If someone is willing to offer $95.00 on a $100.00 item, it's clear you are priced right, or else they'd be offering $75 or something 10% to 30% lower. To offer $5.00 below asking price, then walking away when the seller doesn't agree is ridiculous. Like I said before... it's just people wanting to negotiate for the sake of negotiating.
$5 = 10% of $50
$5 = 30% of $16.68
🤷‍♂️
mrreet2001 is offline  
Old 02-03-2022, 01:07 PM
  #937  
Tech Master
iTrader: (9)
 
mrreet2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NW Ohio
Posts: 1,548
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by ExRCRacer View Post
Coming from someone who hasn't sold a single thing on here
Yet I have purchased thousands of dollars of parts and kits here.
mrreet2001 is offline  
Old 02-03-2022, 02:03 PM
  #938  
Super Moderator
iTrader: (31)
 
racer1812's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: RIP 'Chopper', 4/18/13 miss you bud:(
Posts: 15,366
Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by ExRCRacer View Post
Coming from someone who hasn't sold a single thing on here

Here's a freebie for ya.... "Why it's better to make a new post with 'SOLD' than it is to edit" >>
1). Having the final post say "SOLD" keeps people from having to fish through your post to see if an item is available or not. It's right there in your face on the most recent post.
2). Having the final post say "SOLD" keeps people from sending you unnecessary PM's because they don't look very closely at things.
3). Making a new post to say "SOLD" and not editing the price in the main post (as many, if not everyone does who follows this method) preserves an asking price history for other buyers / sellers. There have been several requests from people to keep prices in there for record. Go check out that thread right now, I think the most recent post is a request for that.
4). ..... and the most important one: Making a new post to say "SOLD" and not editing the main for sale post further protects you in the event of a PayPal dispute. It's not hard to point out to PayPal that a seller edited their original post thanks to the little edit stamp you get on here. They then can allege that you misled them by modifying the original for sale ad to try and win their case. If you don't touch the original post, you're better protected as the seller.

Feel free to send me $5.00 for the advice. Remember, G&S only.
1) You're assuming people are going to your most recent post or clicking on "view most recent post". Don't most people simply click on a thread and look at the first post?
2) You assume people look through every post in your thread. Should they, probably but that doesn't mean they will before sending you a PM.
3) Viable argument but there's many variables to how sellers set their asking price, and the listed asking price rarely reflects the actual selling price. IMO
4)What are you basing this on? Do you have a personal experience or a situation you can reference, or is this an assumption on your part? I've been involved with or viewed every PayPal dispute involving RCTech for almost 13 years. I've NEVER seen a sellers post edit be a deciding factor in a dispute.
mrreet2001 and NikkoCharger like this.
racer1812 is offline  
Old 02-03-2022, 05:33 PM
  #939  
Suspended
iTrader: (22)
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 929
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by mrreet2001 View Post
$5 = 10% of $50
$5 = 30% of $16.68
🤷‍♂️
What did I say? Spare me the percentage game. It's petty. You're not a good negotiator.

Originally Posted by mrreet2001 View Post
Yet I have purchased thousands of dollars of parts and kits here.
Yet your reading skills are lacking. I said you haven't SOLD Jack. Not a single thing.
SideRider likes this.
ExRCRacer is offline  
Old 02-03-2022, 05:41 PM
  #940  
Suspended
iTrader: (22)
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 929
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by racer1812 View Post
1) You're assuming people are going to your most recent post or clicking on "view most recent post". Don't most people simply click on a thread and look at the first post?
2) You assume people look through every post in your thread. Should they, probably but that doesn't mean they will before sending you a PM.
3) Viable argument but there's many variables to how sellers set their asking price, and the listed asking price rarely reflects the actual selling price. IMO
4)What are you basing this on? Do you have a personal experience or a situation you can reference, or is this an assumption on your part? I've been involved with or viewed every PayPal dispute involving RCTech for almost 13 years. I've NEVER seen a sellers post edit be a deciding factor in a dispute.
1). Most people have their thread preferences set up to which the most recent post is on top and the first thing you see when you click on a thread. Yes? Thus, I find it annoying to scroll down to just see an edited item description post say, "SOLD".
2). You are correct, and if putting SOLD in a brand new post at the top of the thread that's right in their faces helps stop that from happening, I'm all for it.
3). You're correct, the asking rarely reflects the selling. However, based on number of bumps and price reductions, you'll get a good idea of what asking price moves and what doesn't. If there's no subsequent bumps, or very little, you'll know that asking price is a great place to start.
4). I had a claim that blew up into a big thing right here on RCT (different name) years ago that became a big "to do" and several chimed in with their opinions. PayPal was leaning the sellers way (I was the buyer) until I showed PayPal that the seller edited his original post in an attempt to conceal what the actual description was. Guess what... he lost, I won.

I can't see how any of these points are up for dispute, but if ya comment again, I have no doubt Fanboi mrreet2001 will thumb up your comment no matter what you say

Hell, people are even making requests for the very things I'm saying in your own "DONT POST SOLD" thread (see below)



SideRider likes this.

Last edited by ExRCRacer; 02-03-2022 at 06:10 PM.
ExRCRacer is offline  
Old 02-03-2022, 08:22 PM
  #941  
Tech Master
iTrader: (64)
 
billjacobs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Rockville, MD
Posts: 1,410
Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)
Default

This is silly. If the asking price rarely reflects the selling price and someone offers $5 less than the asking price to complete the deal, you would have to be silly not to take it, regardless of your feelings toward them, or their negotiating skills.
billjacobs is offline  
Old 02-03-2022, 08:44 PM
  #942  
Tech Master
iTrader: (9)
 
mrreet2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NW Ohio
Posts: 1,548
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by billjacobs View Post
This is silly. If the asking price rarely reflects the selling price and someone offers $5 less than the asking price to complete the deal, you would have to be silly not to take it, regardless of your feelings toward them, or their negotiating skills.
He is clearly off his meds or something. Either that or he is just an A-hole. Not sure.

Last edited by racer1812; 02-04-2022 at 08:32 AM.
mrreet2001 is offline  
Old 02-04-2022, 09:11 AM
  #943  
Super Moderator
iTrader: (31)
 
racer1812's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: RIP 'Chopper', 4/18/13 miss you bud:(
Posts: 15,366
Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by ExRCRacer View Post
1). Most people have their thread preferences set up to which the most recent post is on top and the first thing you see when you click on a thread. Yes? Thus, I find it annoying to scroll down to just see an edited item description post say, "SOLD".
2). You are correct, and if putting SOLD in a brand new post at the top of the thread that's right in their faces helps stop that from happening, I'm all for it.
3). You're correct, the asking rarely reflects the selling. However, based on number of bumps and price reductions, you'll get a good idea of what asking price moves and what doesn't. If there's no subsequent bumps, or very little, you'll know that asking price is a great place to start.
4). I had a claim that blew up into a big thing right here on RCT (different name) years ago that became a big "to do" and several chimed in with their opinions. PayPal was leaning the sellers way (I was the buyer) until I showed PayPal that the seller edited his original post in an attempt to conceal what the actual description was. Guess what... he lost, I won.

I can't see how any of these points are up for dispute, but if ya comment again, I have no doubt Fanboi mrreet2001 will thumb up your comment no matter what you say

Hell, people are even making requests for the very things I'm saying in your own "DONT POST SOLD" thread (see below)

1) I don't know anyone, other than you apparently, who sets their preferences to show the most recent post first. Why would anyone want to read a thread backwards??

2) Based on the above, posting SOLD on a multi page thread doesn't put it right in anyone's face. It's buried on the last page (obviously) which is why it's annoying, IMO, to scroll through a newly bumped thread just to find out it's sold.

People are going to do whatever they want regardless of what side of this conversation they're on. That's fine, it is the internet after all
DRTMI likes this.
racer1812 is offline  
Old 02-04-2022, 01:52 PM
  #944  
Suspended
iTrader: (22)
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 929
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default

There's too many tears flowing at this point. To each their own. Make your $5 under asking offers... ya just won't get a reply from me.

Good day gentleman.
ExRCRacer is offline  
Old 02-05-2022, 05:57 AM
  #945  
Suspended
iTrader: (22)
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 929
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by billjacobs View Post
This is silly. If the asking price rarely reflects the selling price and someone offers $5 less than the asking price to complete the deal, you would have to be silly not to take it, regardless of your feelings toward them, or their negotiating skills.
I'm not sure how closely you like to read things... but the entire point of my post was this: - If you're wanting an item that someone is selling and you're willing to pay all but $5.00 if their asking... just PAY the $5.00. If you're that cheap, hard up, or worse - just like to negotiate for the sake of negotiating, then move it along. It's stupid to do that and I won't accept an offer $5 under my asking for 3 reasons:

1). Out of principle
2). If you're willing to offer all but $5 of my asking, that means you think I'm priced appropriately.
3). Someone else will buy it
SideRider likes this.
ExRCRacer is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.