Like Tree61Likes

Do's and Dont's of selling

Old 02-15-2012, 10:44 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

#7. You're buying items on here that are used. That's right.... used. If you see an item listed as, "ran 6 packs" or "5 hours of run time" or "ran once" there's a few things you need to take in consideration:

1. Was it ran once in this seller's possession, but was purchased from someone else? --- when in doubt ASK.
2. I wonder where he ran this? Street? Track? Bashing? A gravel pit??? --- when in doubt ASK.
3. If the item is listed as "excellent condition" or along those lines keep in mind people's definition of "excellent" is different. Ever gone to someone house and it's a disgusting pig sty, but they think it's clean? Same concept here. Use your own common sense. If you see an item that looks a little beat up and there are past posts by the seller talking about stuff they have broken --- then it's probably not excellent to your standards.

In other words -- quit complaining. I bought a Losi 2.0T roller on here. Yes it had the aluminum hop ups. No I didn't over pay for it. Yes the seller wanted too much. Yes he came to the realization it was too much & I got it for a reasonable agreed price.

I converted it to an electric truggy. Got the Tekno chassis, new savox servo, put a tekin system in it, Futaba 4PL transmitter & receiver. She was sweet when I was done with it.

The old chassis ---- the screws were all stripped. I had to take a dremmel to cut a slit in the screw (ultimately damaging the old chassis) so I could get a screw driver in there to take it out. And no---- a screw extractor didn't work.

The diff's were all jacked. I needed all new shims.

It wasn't exactly pretty.......... but that made it part of the fun. Taking something that was definitely used and making it into my own and into excellent condition.

I sold the truggy. Only had a run or 2 on it & decided to go onto another project.

Buyer asked me what condition it was in. So I told him... excellent. Want to see? I'll put a pic in here...

Now how does that look to you? Pretty clean right? You can tell it's all new. Chassis had like 20 min on it. Motor, esc, servo, all same..........

He gets the truck and complains the bearing are all shot. Well, #1 I didn't notice that. #2 my inspection didn't reveal they were shot. #3. My description did not indicate the bearings were any where close to new. ---- As a matter of fact my description didn't state anything was new other than the motor, chassis, servo, radio, and tires. Body too. The front and rear assemblies were from the original roller.

Then he complains it was dirty. What..... a spec of dirt here and there in the cracks of the rear tower? Get a life.

Then he says he can't trust my ad and says he needs to tear the truck apart to inspect it. Fine.

Upon his inspection he discovers I did not provide him with a Smart Center Diff as I advertised. I personally was unfamiliar with smart diffs & was told by the seller I bought the truck from it came with one. I assumed what I got was a smart diff. I got hosed.

The buyer of my truggy sent pictures to show me the difference. I was in error. Due to the nature of used vehicles, and the fact he purchased it for 50% of the retail value of everything he received, I reimbursed him 50% of the cost for a new smart center diff. Seems fair, right? He ended up agreeing after fighting for a month for me to spring for a brand new, unused Smart diff for $80 bucks.

Prior to being able to offer that I was getting the, "oh, I don't know if I want this anymore," and "Your item isn't as described", and "This thing is all beat up".

PIECE OF ADVICE: --- Allow the seller the opportunity to fix the problem. Especially when they have over 20 feedback ratings at 100% positive. Don't go running your mouth how bad the item is and acting like you just spent $5,000 dollars. If you get a steal, if you buy used, just expect there may be some things here and there that need to be taken care of. IT'S A USED ITEM FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!!

So --- #7: "If you buy used, expect used. Ask questions to the seller. Ask for additional pictures. If you like what you see, if you like what you're getting per the ad, and if you're getting a great deal --- pull the trigger and buy it. If it's not to what you THOUGHT your item SHOULD be in your own mind as 'excellent' --- revert back to my first sentence, 'if you buy used, expect used.' You want new, perfect, etc.... BUY NEW!!! And ESPECIALLY don't complain if you got it for 50% of what everything would have cost you retail."

Now I'm NOT saying you should just lie down and take it if the item truly is not as described and in really rough shape when advertised as excellent --- but if you find some parts have some wear on them, or there's a few specks of dirt - just shut your mouth and enjoy the wrenching aspect of this hobby.

Know how many things my friend and I are finding wrong with his RC8be that he received as a roller used? Cracked hubs, empty diffs, stripped screws. Guess what --- we work on it. He got it for $150 bucks. Why complain?????

PS - The buyer of my truggy (once he found the smart diff wasn't really a smart diff) then backed off on the bearings saying they wern't that bad and invested all of his energy charging at me over the smart diff. IT'S MORE THEN EVIDENT he was doing whatever he possibly could to cheap out a bit on what he spent. I was in the wrong on the diff.... I was fair in my reimbursement, but I sure as heck didn't deserve this guy badgering me.

IF YOU CAN'T AFFORD WHAT YOU JUST BOUGHT ---- SUCK IT UP. It's not my problem you went out of budget and your wife is slapping you around. So don't go picking crap apart looking for any reason you possibly can to harass the seller into giving you some kind of $$ back. The very nature of this hobby, and the fact you're purchasing an offroad vehicle is REASON ENOUGH you shouldn't expect 'PERFECT'. Again --- it's used.
Attached Thumbnails Do's and Dont's of selling-photo.jpg  

Last edited by Sarinexia; 02-15-2012 at 11:11 AM.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:18 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)
Default Shipping.

Sellers.. Please don't wait 5 days to ship an item. Paypal allow's you to print shipping labels with the funds you have received ( So there's no need to wait 3-5 days for the money to be in your bank ). Don't have a printer? You can make a digital label and bring the reference number to the post office or UPS. Once you create the label online its in there system waiting for you to confirm.

Ship the item the next business day you can (Don't be lazy). Don't cheap out on it either. It only takes a few extra bucks to insure the package and track it. It will save you a headache if a problem does happen to come up.

I've sold, bought and traded everything from Rc's, Bike's, Computers, etc and there is nothing more annoying than waiting in limbo for a seller to ship your item. Ask anyone I've sold too, I always ship within 1-2 business days.

The item in question should be pretty much ready to ship, so what's the delay? If its not ready to ship, don't list it. Still wanna play with it, don't list it.

If your sick, dying, etc, I suggest you ask a friend to take your package to the post office. You work off hours? Again ask someone to help you out, pay them $5 for gas. Don't use that as an excuse. Bottom line is the package still isn't shipped and its still your responsibility to ship it in a timely manner.

-Rant over...

Last edited by vulcanbomber; 02-15-2012 at 11:21 AM. Reason: Grammar
Old 02-15-2012, 11:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (94%+)

Originally Posted by Sarinexia
#7. You're buying items on here that are used. That's right.... used. If you see an item listed as, "ran 6 packs" or "5 hours of run time" or "ran once" there's a few things you need to take in consideration:

1. Was it ran once in this seller's possession, but was purchased from someone else? --- when in doubt ASK.
2. I wonder where he ran this? Street? Track? Bashing? A gravel pit??? --- when in doubt ASK.
3. If the item is listed as "excellent condition" or along those lines keep in mind people's definition of "excellent" is different. Ever gone to someone house and it's a disgusting pig sty, but they think it's clean? Same concept here. Use your own common sense. If you see an item that looks a little beat up and there are past posts by the seller talking about stuff they have broken --- then it's probably not excellent to your standards.

In other words -- quit complaining. I bought a Losi 2.0T roller on here. Yes it had the aluminum hop ups. No I didn't over pay for it. Yes the seller wanted too much. Yes he came to the realization it was too much & I got it for a reasonable agreed price.

I converted it to an electric truggy. Got the Tekno chassis, new savox servo, put a tekin system in it, Futaba 4PL transmitter & receiver. She was sweet when I was done with it.

The old chassis ---- the screws were all stripped. I had to take a dremmel to cut a slit in the screw (ultimately damaging the old chassis) so I could get a screw driver in there to take it out. And no---- a screw extractor didn't work.

The diff's were all jacked. I needed all new shims.

It wasn't exactly pretty.......... but that made it part of the fun. Taking something that was definitely used and making it into my own and into excellent condition.

I sold the truggy. Only had a run or 2 on it & decided to go onto another project.

Buyer asked me what condition it was in. So I told him... excellent. Want to see? I'll put a pic in here...

Now how does that look to you? Pretty clean right? You can tell it's all new. Chassis had like 20 min on it. Motor, esc, servo, all same..........

He gets the truck and complains the bearing are all shot. Well, #1 I didn't notice that. #2 my inspection didn't reveal they were shot. #3. My description did not indicate the bearings were any where close to new. ---- As a matter of fact my description didn't state anything was new other than the motor, chassis, servo, radio, and tires. Body too. The front and rear assemblies were from the original roller.

Then he complains it was dirty. What..... a spec of dirt here and there in the cracks of the rear tower? Get a life.

Then he says he can't trust my ad and says he needs to tear the truck apart to inspect it. Fine.

Upon his inspection he discovers I did not provide him with a Smart Center Diff as I advertised. I personally was unfamiliar with smart diffs & was told by the seller I bought the truck from it came with one. I assumed what I got was a smart diff. I got hosed.

The buyer of my truggy sent pictures to show me the difference. I was in error. Due to the nature of used vehicles, and the fact he purchased it for 50% of the retail value of everything he received, I reimbursed him 50% of the cost for a new smart center diff. Seems fair, right? He ended up agreeing after fighting for a month for me to spring for a brand new, unused Smart diff for $80 bucks.

Prior to being able to offer that I was getting the, "oh, I don't know if I want this anymore," and "Your item isn't as described", and "This thing is all beat up".

PIECE OF ADVICE: --- Allow the seller the opportunity to fix the problem. Especially when they have over 20 feedback ratings at 100% positive. Don't go running your mouth how bad the item is and acting like you just spent $5,000 dollars. If you get a steal, if you buy used, just expect there may be some things here and there that need to be taken care of. IT'S A USED ITEM FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!!

So --- #7: "If you buy used, expect used. Ask questions to the seller. Ask for additional pictures. If you like what you see, if you like what you're getting per the ad, and if you're getting a great deal --- pull the trigger and buy it. If it's not to what you THOUGHT your item SHOULD be in your own mind as 'excellent' --- revert back to my first sentence, 'if you buy used, expect used.' You want new, perfect, etc.... BUY NEW!!! And ESPECIALLY don't complain if you got it for 50% of what everything would have cost you retail."

Now I'm NOT saying you should just lie down and take it if the item truly is not as described and in really rough shape when advertised as excellent --- but if you find some parts have some wear on them, or there's a few specks of dirt - just shut your mouth and enjoy the wrenching aspect of this hobby.

Know how many things my friend and I are finding wrong with his RC8be that he received as a roller used? Cracked hubs, empty diffs, stripped screws. Guess what --- we work on it. He got it for $150 bucks. Why complain?????

PS - The buyer of my truggy (once he found the smart diff wasn't really a smart diff) then backed off on the bearings saying they wern't that bad and invested all of his energy charging at me over the smart diff. IT'S MORE THEN EVIDENT he was doing whatever he possibly could to cheap out a bit on what he spent. I was in the wrong on the diff.... I was fair in my reimbursement, but I sure as heck didn't deserve this guy badgering me.

IF YOU CAN'T AFFORD WHAT YOU JUST BOUGHT ---- SUCK IT UP. It's not my problem you went out of budget and your wife is slapping you around. So don't go picking crap apart looking for any reason you possibly can to harass the seller into giving you some kind of $$ back. The very nature of this hobby, and the fact you're purchasing an offroad vehicle is REASON ENOUGH you shouldn't expect 'PERFECT'. Again --- it's used.

THANK YOU!
Old 02-15-2012, 11:49 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by elex300
Something else that should be considered here. There has been a few times I saw something for sale and wanted to buy it but the OP had less than 10 posts and 0 trader rating so I pass. Why don't we have a rule that the guy that's just starting out should have to ship first then get paid? This way he can get established as a seller. Am I the only one who thinks this is a good rule?
thats a great point. i know rcu has an escrow service you can set up. they should do that here. or send it to one of the mods and the mods send it to the seller if everything is good.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 444 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chillymostly
thats a great point. i know rcu has an escrow service you can set up. they should do that here. or send it to one of the mods and the mods send it to the seller if everything is good.
That would not be a bad idea! Just make it to where you have to have so many feedback before you can post! Also I would be willing to hold the money till buyer gets what they pay for.I am sure Dave would do this also!

Last edited by paintchip31; 03-15-2012 at 05:04 PM.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Rule #8: Don't ask people to send you PayPal payment as a "Gift." One, PayPal doesn't allow it--if they catch you doing it, they will revoke your account. Two, the fee from PayPal is your fee for doing business, not the buyer's cost. If you want the 2.9% fee covered, then ask more for the item. Three, because PayPal sees the transaction as a cash exchange, there is no address or shipping option from PayPal (a pain)--but more importantly, there are no insurance safety nets for the buyer in case the seller never ships or ships a turd wrapped in bubble wrap. Buyer beware! Don't send payment as CASH unless you know and/or trust the seller.

Used Item Pricing, Rule of Thumb:
In my years of selling and buying used stuff on the web and offline, as well, I tend to keep my items as clean and quality as I possibly can. It has been a relatively accurate rule of thumb to price used items at about 65% of the new price, regardless of the modifications or "hop ups" included. Unless there is a massive spares package or something has collectible value, a good place to start the pricing is right at about 2/3rd the original cheapest purchase price. Find the lowest new price available online new (if it is still sold) and multiply times .65. You generally are in a pretty reasonable price range for used items.

And by used I mean, anything not in the original packaging, whether you used it or not. Selling your "like new" charger for $5 less than I can buy it new is likely to have most people running away, because I'm sure your warranty isn't nearly as good as the factory one.

Some items can be more, some are less, but it's a pretty accurate starting point for a listing.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 119 (100%+)

Here's one of my favorites.....

I'm selling a BRAND NEW ________. Only driven maybe 10-12 times. Only needs a left rear tire, and an A-arm. Other than that you are getting a BRAND NEW _______. My loss, your gain.

I guess my opinion on what's BRAND NEW is different than others.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:18 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by fullsyzz
Here's one of my favorites.....

I'm selling a BRAND NEW ________. Only driven maybe 10-12 times. Only needs a left rear tire, and an A-arm. Other than that you are getting a BRAND NEW _______. My loss, your gain.

I guess my opinion on what's BRAND NEW is different than others.
I thought I was the only one that caught and hates that!
So true
Old 02-15-2012, 12:19 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by squarehead
Rule #8: Don't ask people to send you PayPal payment as a "Gift." One, PayPal doesn't allow it--if they catch you doing it, they will revoke your account. Two, the fee from PayPal is your fee for doing business, not the buyer's cost. If you want the 2.9% fee covered, then ask more for the item. Three, because PayPal sees the transaction as a cash exchange, there is no address or shipping option from PayPal (a pain)--but more importantly, there are no insurance safety nets for the buyer in case the seller never ships or ships a turd wrapped in bubble wrap. Buyer beware! Don't send payment as CASH unless you know and/or trust the seller.

Used Item Pricing, Rule of Thumb:
In my years of selling and buying used stuff on the web and offline, as well, I tend to keep my items as clean and quality as I possibly can. It has been a relatively accurate rule of thumb to price used items at about 65% of the new price, regardless of the modifications or "hop ups" included. Unless there is a massive spares package or something has collectible value, a good place to start the pricing is right at about 2/3rd the original cheapest purchase price. Find the lowest new price available online new (if it is still sold) and multiply times .65. You generally are in a pretty reasonable price range for used items.

And by used I mean, anything not in the original packaging, whether you used it or not. Selling your "like new" charger for $5 less than I can buy it new is likely to have most people running away, because I'm sure your warranty isn't nearly as good as the factory one.

Some items can be more, some are less, but it's a pretty accurate starting point for a listing.

Right....Don't expect to make $10 less than what you paid for it I don't care how much extra you put on it...
Old 02-15-2012, 12:35 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Most automotive forums i am on. You have to take a picture. in that picture has to be the part, (and in some casses has to be removed not "ill remove once someone buys, or later this week i am",) The date picture taken, your handle, and the name of every forum you are sellign it on. Most forums i ma on if none fo that, either locked till OP pm's admin saying pics ready. or they just delete the thread if person does it multiple times. and never OBo or feller, State where you are from shipping, no shipping, and a price. no price soem times locked.
Old 02-15-2012, 03:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

I just stumbled on another DO AND DON'T................going on this very second........

I HATE WITH A PASSION when people decide to sell off half or all of there collections and insist on having 15 threads another it.....There is plenty of room in the subject line to add a ton of info.....WHY WHY WHY do people do this......

For example........the FS section will turn into something like this

1)F/S HPI savage for sale clean.....
2)F/S Wheells from hpi savage
3)F/S Spare Misc parts from a savage
4)F/S A screw i found on my table i think it came from a savage
5)F/S The servo horn that was in the savage from the factory
6)F/S Futaba RX that was in my savage NO LONGER NEED
7)F/S Piece of tree i found in my truck while cleaning it........good deal here!!!

AND ITS ALL FROM THE SAME STUPID GUY!!!!!!!!!! DIIEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!

Ok that's a little far LOL but it does anger the hell out of me!!!

Ive seen tons of Getting out sales with great success a simple thread called....

Getting out, FS, Savage,Revo,T-maxx,Jato,E8ight,Mugen,InfernoGT,Plugs, Recivers,Futaba Radio ETC..................

LOOK HOW MUCH INFO I CAN PUT ON ONE TOPIC!!!!!
Old 02-15-2012, 03:33 PM
Tech Rookie

Default do's and donts

#7 "Dont know how it runs.(or drives) Its been sittn for a while."...This is a total scam saying. If you want to have any self respect. Make sure your item WORKS! If it doesnt. Then let people know EXACT condition.
Old 02-15-2012, 03:43 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by John Haas
Pictures!....

It should be a rule to require a picture at the time of the original post. I would vote to make it a requirement for all "for sale/trade" posts (If a vote was offered on the subject).

Great post!
If I don't see pictures, I don't buy.
Old 02-15-2012, 03:49 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 1208 (100%+)

I have one more thing to add:

Buying and selling on here is something I learned through attrition. I had to learn what works and what doesn't. Not everyone is a sales person or has the depth of knowledge others do. Some ads are good, some ads are bad. Because you over look the ad for not having pictures may mean you miss the deal of a lifetime.

Instead of being negative about ads try to offer help on posting pictures and posting something positive instead of bashing someone that is trying to sell their items. Maybe even PM the person that maybe over priced and send a similar ad to them. I have many of times asked for pics and or offered to post them if they get emailed to me.

Its about being a community not about yourself.
Old 02-15-2012, 03:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 444 (100%+)
Default +1

Originally Posted by bigwavedave33
I have one more thing to add:

Buying and selling on here is something I learned through attrition. I had to learn what works and what doesn't. Not everyone is a sales person or has the depth of knowledge others do. Some ads are good, some ads are bad. Because you over look the ad for not having pictures may mean you miss the deal of a lifetime.

Instead of being negative about ads try to offer help on posting pictures and posting something positive instead of bashing someone that is trying to sell their items. Maybe even PM the person that maybe over priced and send a similar ad to them. I have many of times asked for pics and or offered to post them if they get emailed to me.

Its about being a community not about yourself.
+1

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.