Like Tree61Likes

Do's and Dont's of selling

Old 06-04-2018, 03:42 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DROPKICK_RACING
Well if these are rules to live by, then I guess it makes more sense to post saying "the item has a ton of upgrades, but since they aren't worth anything, I'll put the original parts back, then the sell the hop ups separately". Makes sense to me... oh wait, if you tell people that.. they will say "well if its all stock parts, its not worth that much" The way I see it is, if im paying for the hop ups and spending my time to install them and get it working at its best, its worth something. If you don't feel like the work you put into an RC to make it great is worth something, then you shouldn't be in this hobby. Im sure I speak for 99% of hobbyists when I say, I am proud of what I build, and what I built is well worth the money and time spent on it. So if you post something, like I have, which basically gives away almost $300 worth of upgrades and my time, its really not worth it to waste it away to people who wont appreciate it for what it is.
you can put all the lipstick you want on a pig and it will still be a pig ,
Old 06-12-2018, 12:58 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Originally Posted by skater-deez1
Put $5000 rims and tires on a 96' Buick doesn't make it's blue book value go up, still a $500 car on trade in. Not disagreeing but the same principle applies.
RC cars don't lose 10% of their value as soon as you drive them off the lot either. What i'm saying should be pretty obvious, if you have a B5 with a bunch of upgrades, its obviously not going to be worth as much because its old, but if you have a B64 or B6/B6.1 geared out, then it shouldn't be worth any less than its original value or price. While were on the topic, if you have say, a lockout spur gear that you installed does it make it any less valuable then say if Wallie Builds installed it? No, but it does because you know his name for quality work, even though they may have been installed in the exact same way. Common sense should dictate what things are sold for and buyers should understand the effort and cost put into something before making a ridiculous offer.

Last edited by DROPKICK_RACING; 06-12-2018 at 01:10 PM.
Old 06-12-2018, 01:09 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Marcos.J
you can put all the lipstick you want on a pig and it will still be a pig ,
I agree, but if your talking about a pig that looks like a VW bug or a pig that looks like a Ferrari, there is a huge difference in individual perception of value. I'm cool with removing hop ups to sell quicker, but you value your own work more than others, so its worth more to you.
Old 06-12-2018, 01:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I agree, but if your talking about a pig that looks like a VW bug or a pig that looks like a Ferrari, there is a huge difference in individual perception of value. I'm cool with removing hop ups to sell quicker, but you value your own work more than others, so its worth more to you.
Old 06-14-2018, 08:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 78 (100%+)

RC cars don't lose 10% of their value as soon as you drive them off the lot either. What i'm saying should be pretty obvious, if you have a B5 with a bunch of upgrades, its obviously not going to be worth as much because its old, but if you have a B64 or B6/B6.1 geared out, then it shouldn't be worth any less than its original value or price. While were on the topic, if you have say, a lockout spur gear that you installed does it make it any less valuable then say if Wallie Builds installed it? No, but it does because you know his name for quality work, even though they may have been installed in the exact same way. Common sense should dictate what things are sold for and buyers should understand the effort and cost put into something before making a ridiculous offer.
WRONG. Actually once it's used no matter what upgrades it's worth about 70% of the original in box price. I don't care who wired it or put in a lockout spur. None of that matters to buyers, it may matter to you but nobody is buying a $500 b6.1 roller these days even if Ryan Cavalieri himself "blessed" the set up. Example if you buy a $350 buggy and put $100 worth of upgrades on it and run it for "ONLY 2 RACES".......do you think it's worth $500 because of the initial cost, upgrades, and time spent hitting the pipes???? The answer is no. It's a $300 buggy as soon as it hit the track. Just because it was yours doesn't make it 24 carat gold, go ahead and try to get $500 for it...........I laugh at the threads with 7 pages of "bump" or "TTT" anyways.
Old 06-16-2018, 06:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 105 (100%+)

i need some help.

i posted some for sale ads this am and apparently they have vanished. i can not locate any of the new ads i posted. my existing ads are still appearing on the site though. any help would be appreciated.

thank you in advance.

edit: they magically appeared this a.m. like a genie in a lamp

Last edited by cadillac; 06-17-2018 at 01:28 PM.
Old 08-31-2018, 09:13 AM
Regional Moderator

Do we have a freebies section? Maybe Im blind and didnt see it. But if we dont, it wouldnt be a bad idea.
Old 10-02-2018, 11:22 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Talking

Originally Posted by IIGQ4U

To conclude that any person who does not increase the asking prices of vehicles they’ve modified or maintained does not value their work and therefore does not belong within the hobby is a false dichotomy.

Generally speaking, sellers are interested in a quick sale. The ideal strategy to employ in this case is an undifferentiated marketing strategy. When you present an item loaded with hop-ups, its market appeal is diminished, thus resulting (Often) in a lengthy sale, which in turn provides potential buyers a negotiating advantage.

By offering a stock vehicle for sale, you are essentially providing a blank slate for buyers to modify the vehicle to their liking. This strategy might also allow potential buyers to remain within their budget vs exceeding it with the inclusion of various hopups.

While removing hopup parts from your RC to revert to stock will require an additional investment of your time, you will almost always yield a greater return by doing so, which I would imagine is your ultimate objective.
This reminded me of an old song, with a twist. Sung to the tune of Chuck Berry's "My Ding A Ling" from 1972: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXJEtUTRI1E):

"My bling-a-ling, My bling-a-ling, I want you to buy my bling-a-ling-a-ling."
"My bling-a-ling, My bling-a-ling, I hope you'll pay a lot for my bling-a-ling-a-ling!"
Old 12-16-2018, 01:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 81 (99%+)

It must just be me

Last edited by Goof; 12-28-2018 at 12:03 AM.
Old 08-21-2019, 12:48 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 264 (100%+)

Love all of the above , can someone please pass the popcorn ........

Old 08-22-2019, 05:01 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Thank you for sharing

Nice post thank you for sharing this post it means a lot to me great information I have get from it. keep sharing post like this.
Old 10-06-2019, 01:50 PM
Tech Initiate

[QUOTE=chillymostly;10329254
2. POST PICTURES. Do you know how annoying it is to click on a thread only to be greeted by no pics? That just shows laziness, again a complete purchase turn off. "I dont know how to post pics here, Ill text or email you pics". That phrase just screams i stole pics from somebody else and i have a better chance of not getting caught if i dont post them for everybody to see.

.[/QUOTE]

This is all well and fine if you have the right to post pictures. I even upgraded to Elite Member and I can't post pics until I reach a certain secret number of posts. Well I have nothing else to post except what I paid this site to post, yet all I can post is words. So please fill me in on the secret to posting pics.
Old 10-06-2019, 04:27 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Flanson
This is all well and fine if you have the right to post pictures. I even upgraded to Elite Member and I can't post pics until I reach a certain secret number of posts. Well I have nothing else to post except what I paid this site to post, yet all I can post is words. So please fill me in on the secret to posting pics.
Flanson it's clearly spelled out in the error code you're getting when you attempt to post pictures, if you tried to post pics that is. It clearly states that a minimum of 10 posts are required before posting outside links, i.e.: pictures. So I would guess just a few more random rants and you'll soon be on your way to posting pictures. Just a little bit of attention to detail plus some reading and you too can be in on the big secret.
Old 11-28-2019, 09:32 AM
Tech Rookie

Great info Thx!
Old 12-11-2019, 12:24 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.