Search

Questions from a newbie painter

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2017, 10:45 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Questions?? Questions from a newbie painter

Hi all,
I just recently purchased an Iwata Neo CN. It works quite well with the faskolor paints I purchased. That being said, I want to start decanting some Tamiya paints and using them. However, I don't what I will need in order to clean my aibrush when I am done using the Tamiya PS paint. So I need to know the following:
What can I thin / clean up with on Tamiya decanted PS paint?

Are Tamiya PS paints that have been decanted, compatible with the water based Faskolor paints?

Are there any other gotcha's I should know about when using Tamiya PS paint in an aibrush?

Thanks for your help.
Old 05-01-2017, 10:01 AM
Tech Fanatic

Anyone?
Old 05-01-2017, 11:41 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

According to Tamyia, the sell a thinner X-20A. This will work for cleanup. I saw a discussion that said water would work for their PC paint also.
Old 05-01-2017, 12:31 PM
Tech Fanatic

I read on another board that the x-20a will turn the PC paint into a latex goop.
Old 05-05-2017, 06:05 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Tamiya paints are not compatible with water for clean-up. The paint gums quickly and is a pain to get off of or out of anything once introduced to water. I don't know how the PS paints react painting under or over dried Faskolor paints. (one is water based, one is solvent based, I would not mix them) I used the Parma thinner with Tamiya PS paints with no issue, it worked just like any paint thinner should work.

Definitely keep any thinner away for lexan. I did not have an issue with it turning gummy, but it did turn the lexan brittle to the point where it got cloudy and cracked. A finger could easily be pushed through the area with little force. It was as if the thinner sucked all the moisture right out of the plastic. Ruined a new body trying to remove some paint runs. Live an learn.
Old 05-07-2017, 06:48 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Flash74
Tamiya paints are not compatible with water for clean-up. The paint gums quickly and is a pain to get off of or out of anything once introduced to water. I don't know how the PS paints react painting under or over dried Faskolor paints. (one is water based, one is solvent based, I would not mix them) I used the Parma thinner with Tamiya PS paints with no issue, it worked just like any paint thinner should work.

Definitely keep any thinner away for lexan. I did not have an issue with it turning gummy, but it did turn the lexan brittle to the point where it got cloudy and cracked. A finger could easily be pushed through the area with little force. It was as if the thinner sucked all the moisture right out of the plastic. Ruined a new body trying to remove some paint runs. Live an learn.
Ty for your reply. Do you know if the ps paint is considered a lacquer, acrylic, or oil based paint?
Old 05-16-2017, 10:41 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nubs
Ty for your reply. Do you know if the ps paint is considered a lacquer, acrylic, or oil based paint?
I am not sure what the base of the paint is considered, definitely not water or oil based though.
Old 05-17-2017, 09:31 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Flash74
I am not sure what the base of the paint is considered, definitely not water or oil based though.
I ended up decanting some Tamiya PS paint and have concluded that it is some sort of Lacquer paint. I purchased some denatured alcohol to see if that would work to clean up the paint and it failed miserably. Then I used some lacquer thinner and it worked beautifully.
Old 10-25-2017, 01:28 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default Tamiya (PS) Dark Blue...?

I sprayed a Tamiya Body with Tamiya PS - Dark Blue(item # 89925 - spray-can).

-it layed down dark blue
-after a few spray passes; the color ended-up looking like a Midnight Blue or Raisin.
-I back the so-called Dark Blue with Tamiya Black(PS 5).

I wanted a Dark Blue body; not dark raisin.

Anyone have info on the Tamiya PS - Dark Blue spray-can paint?

Thank You
Old 10-30-2017, 01:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by GuyIsDamGood
I sprayed a Tamiya Body with Tamiya PS - Dark Blue(item # 89925 - spray-can).

-it layed down dark blue
-after a few spray passes; the color ended-up looking like a Midnight Blue or Raisin.
-I back the so-called Dark Blue with Tamiya Black(PS 5).

I wanted a Dark Blue body; not dark raisin.

Anyone have info on the Tamiya PS - Dark Blue spray-can paint?

Thank You
What do you mean by info? What I can tell you is that the thicker you make the coats, the darker the color will be. Additionally, using black as a backer will change the color compared to using white as the backer. You should test the paint on some other lexan before you paint a body to make sure you get the color you are looking for.
Old 10-31-2017, 01:36 AM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks for the info nubs.

When I started spraying the Tamiya PS Dark Blue; -the color started-out as dark blue. -as I sprayed a few more coats the color started to change (to the current Midnight Blue color). -this is before I backed it with Tamiya PS 5.

I'm asking if anyone have used this paint before; but your info helps a lot.

Last edited by GuyIsDamGood; 10-31-2017 at 10:49 PM.
Old 11-03-2017, 02:36 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default Tamiya (PS)Dark Blue. . . . . . .Color Not Too Bad

I sprayed Tamiya (PS) Dark Blue and PS 5 - Black (also as a backing) on a Tamiya Body. I used Tamiya Masking Tape for the lines.
The paint-job came-out alright (my best yet).
Once the over-spray cover was removed; the color now looks more dark blue-ish.
Old 11-03-2017, 08:57 AM
Tech Fanatic

That's great to hear. There are a couple of videos on youtube that show how to use Tamiya cans. There is a technique that gets the best results. I would definitely check those out.
Old 11-04-2017, 03:08 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by nubs
That's great to hear. There are a couple of videos on youtube that show how to use Tamiya cans. There is a technique that gets the best results. I would definitely check those out.

I've checked out a few how to paint videos on YouTube.
-I learned a few paint pointers.
Thanks

I thought the Tamiya (PS) Dark Blue would be the same as the Tamiya (PS-59) Metallic Dark Blue; without the metallic.
I was wrong.

It looks more like the color of Baked Blueberry Pie Filling.....?

Last edited by GuyIsDamGood; 11-10-2017 at 01:12 AM.