Liquid Mask...Expensive PVA?

Old 01-20-2006, 11:01 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Liquid Mask...Expensive PVA?

Hi, decided to get a bit more creative for my next body and bought some liquid mask to have a play with.

It looks, smells, drys and peels in an identical way to standerd PVA glue, just wondered if anyone elso had the same first impression or can confirm if it has a PVA base. I know its not uncommon for RC brands to re-label something this simple and add a huge markup! I mean you could buy a gallon of PVA for the same price as 50ml liquid mask!

Thanks

Chris
Old 01-20-2006, 11:38 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pinkpanther
Hi, decided to get a bit more creative for my next body and bought some liquid mask to have a play with.

It looks, smells, drys and peels in an identical way to standerd PVA glue, just wondered if anyone elso had the same first impression or can confirm if it has a PVA base. I know its not uncommon for RC brands to re-label something this simple and add a huge markup! I mean you could buy a gallon of PVA for the same price as 50ml liquid mask!

Thanks

Chris
I'm not certain, but I believe liquid mask (or Bob Dively's anyway) is latex based. At the very least it is organic based, unlike pva glues, because it spoils depending on age and conditions.

I've had it mold, and I got some that had been stored in heat, and whoa, did that smell bad.
Old 01-22-2006, 11:31 AM
Tech Initiate

Thanks for the info, here is my first attempt with liquid mask (Parma).

I used tamiya cans (all that was available) in Fluorescent Pink, White, Silver and Black. (n.b. let the gf choose the primary colour!)

Ive read bad things about Parma liquid mask but i found it ok as a first time user, though, i have nothing to compare it to! Took my time and laid on a good 6 coats before spraying.

I think the results are quite good, let me know what you think.

Thanks

Chris
Old 01-22-2006, 11:39 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

That's pretty cool!!

And kinda fruity at the same time!