• 2 Post By charlie_b
  • 1 Post By jrmarquez.702

Advice for Drop Shadows

Old 02-24-2017, 08:26 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Advice for Drop Shadows

Hello paint gurus,

I am quite new to the airbrush world but lately I've been trying to tackle paint jobs which are more complex and require more advanced techniques.

One area I need to improve is drop shadows. I was using Fastint for a while because that's what I had on-hand but now I'm attempting to use Createx Transparent Black. Out of the bottle, the black seems to be a splattery and difficult to make into a convincing shadow. I thinned some with 4012 which seemed to improve things but even still I was seeing some trouble with atomization.

I'm using an HP-C+ and about 20psi. I do warm the paint slightly before running it through the brush.

Do I need to thin the Transparent Black more or should I be considering a different color altogether?

Any advice is welcomed. Attached is a recent body which is basically a copy of the JConcepts promotional photos for their S2 1:10 buggy body.
Attached Thumbnails Advice for Drop Shadows-22-sr-gold-1-resize-.jpg  
Old 02-24-2017, 09:19 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I use fastint also, I thin it and shoot at 10psi. Your shadows look better than mine. I cant keep the flow even. It stops and starts and I get blotches everywhere.
Old 02-24-2017, 09:29 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by greener74 View Post
I use fastint also, I thin it and shoot at 10psi. Your shadows look better than mine. I cant keep the flow even. It stops and starts and I get blotches everywhere.
The Fastint does seem to do alright. I've been trying alternatives because Faskolor availability seems to be really hit or miss.
Old 02-24-2017, 06:09 PM
Tech Adept

Hmm, I use Createx transparent black straight out of the bottle with an HP-CS and about 30psi, with no issue.

Wonder if it's the pressure? Is your needle tip bent? Have you tried thinning with Createx thinner maybe 2-1? Those are the 1st things that come to mind.
Old 02-26-2017, 04:57 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Explanation:

The 4030 Intercoat Clear basically makes the paint flow better and more evenly(no blotching)

The 4012 Reducer allows you to thin the paints to get the desired transparency.
Ratios:
4030:Start with 5% to 20%
4012:STart with 10% to 50% (until desired consistency)

With that being said, you can use these products with Createx Black, Wicket Black, Wicket Jet Black, Autoair Transparent Black, etc. to thin them and use them for shadowing.
SpidarX and greener74 like this.
Old 04-15-2018, 08:40 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

Hi everyone, glad I found this. I am considering attempting some shadows/shading on my next body. Is it advisable to match colors with a transparent for shadows? My scheme is orange/white/purple so I was thinking of using a trans purpla for the purple (maybe thinned black will do) and trans red for the orange.

Question #2, do distilled water or Windex work well as thinners/reducers with creates water based acrylic paint?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

OP, your work looks very pro to me.
Old 04-15-2018, 08:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 90 (100%+)

I normally just take opaque black and reduce the heck out of it until it flows how I want, normally around 15 psi. Use a blank white piece of paper behind the body so you can see how dark the black is flowing. Here is a similar body I’ve painted for a customer for a few years.
tacobob89 likes this.
Old 05-11-2018, 10:27 AM
Tech Apprentice

I have been struggling with my drop shadows, are you able to get enough coverage on your drop shadows in 1 pass? I always feel like I need 3 or so passes on a shadow to get it opaque enough. Am I just overdoing it and should be good with one pass? Iwata hpcs with wicked paints.
Old 05-11-2018, 10:54 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I am so happy I found this thread because it hits exactly where I am having a little difficulty, I have only been airbrushing for about a week and have done 3 bodies so far. And I was having a little bit of a headache getting the consistency of the paint to spray well and not get a runny look to it. I am using a Master G444 airbrush, with mission models paint..Now I am not sure if my mistake is that I am using regular colors or I am thinning to much..When I mean regular I am talking about non translucent. so for example for my shading I have been using mission models black part #MIOMMRC-002 (purchased from amain hobbies). And when I thin it I am using a small mixing cup and pouring a little bit of paint and then using water and mixing it to where it gets a consistency of milk, to the eye and is watery but not to much. When I do my shading I lower my psi to about 20 and get close but if I try to spray and get to close it runs and I have to be really careful how close I should stay to the body. Again not sure if it's the way I am thinning, my needle setup or what. Have been able to shade ok..But want to get way tighter and way more precise.

Here is some work I have done, maybe someone can give me some tips on what to use for thinning paint instead of water, shading tips and stuff. Open to learn!

Old 05-11-2018, 10:59 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jrmarquez.702 View Post
I normally just take opaque black and reduce the heck out of it until it flows how I want, normally around 15 psi. Use a blank white piece of paper behind the body so you can see how dark the black is flowing. Here is a similar body Iíve painted for a customer for a few years.
For that blue in the front, I have been trying to find that color to do the same thing for my bodies..When I have someone that wants a white with baby blue outline just like that..I have been using mission models paint, but am making the transition to nothing but createx colors.
Old 05-17-2018, 07:58 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by TheRcworld101 View Post
For that blue in the front, I have been trying to find that color to do the same thing for my bodies..When I have someone that wants a white with baby blue outline just like that..I have been using mission models paint, but am making the transition to nothing but createx colors.
i use Createx wicked blue, if itís not exactly that color in the picture itís damn close.
Old 06-06-2018, 08:51 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tacobob89 View Post
I have been struggling with my drop shadows, are you able to get enough coverage on your drop shadows in 1 pass? I always feel like I need 3 or so passes on a shadow to get it opaque enough. Am I just overdoing it and should be good with one pass? Iwata hpcs with wicked paints.
Many light passes. Also don't try and spray right at your tape/cut line. Try spraying back about 1/8 in from your tape edge/cut edge. Also I like to use spaztix black candy from aerosol sprayed into my airbrush for drop shadow. Waterbased paints do not atomize as well as solvent based. Very light coats until you achieve desired effect. Take a piece of paper and put it behind body after each pass so you can see your shadow.