Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Painting, Designs, Graphics and Photography
Suggestions for a Quiet Compressor??? >

Suggestions for a Quiet Compressor???

Suggestions for a Quiet Compressor???

Old 01-09-2006, 02:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Default Suggestions for a Quiet Compressor???

I have a perfectly functional PepBoy's $49.95 special air compressor that i have been very happy with, but unfortunately it is not the quietest thing in the world, and after about 2 hours of painting - i walk away with a headache - and not b/c the fumes....

Does anyone have any suggestions what they would recommend for <$200.

thanks,
marc
Old 01-09-2006, 04:01 PM
Tech Adept

If you can move the compressor away from your painting area, that would be the first thing. If that doesn't help or your not able to, you can build a box, or housing for your compressor that will help reduce the noise. If you can do both, you'll have solved your problem.
Old 01-09-2006, 07:25 PM
Tech Master

You can get a pretty quiet one at walmart for under $120. Just check out the Db level it runs at. If the label doesn't list the Db level, its not one of the quiet ones. I beleive they should run in the 60Db range for the quiet ones.
Old 01-10-2006, 12:35 AM
Tech Adept

what airbrush do you have. i have a iwata and the smart jet compressor. it is very quiet. i am very happy with it. i use it alot especially late at night. they cost about $200.
Old 01-10-2006, 04:30 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jmgouk
what airbrush do you have. i have a iwata and the smart jet compressor. it is very quiet. i am very happy with it. i use it alot especially late at night. they cost about $200.

iwata make a super quiet compressor. one version works at 50 psi max i think the other at 60. man! they are dead quiet! i mean, you could use it at night in a flat...that's how quiet they are!
Old 01-10-2006, 06:36 AM
Tech Elite

i have an iwata hp-cs - i was looking at getting one of their compressors, and now i have some feedback, i probably will get one....

it looks like the smart jet is the middle of the road for iwata....

http://www.dixieart.com/Iwata_Smart_...ompressor.html

do i need the regulator - and what the heck does a regulator do?
Old 01-10-2006, 07:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Maxxthrasher
If you can move the compressor away from your painting area, that would be the first thing. If that doesn't help or your not able to, you can build a box, or housing for your compressor that will help reduce the noise. If you can do both, you'll have solved your problem.
Don't build a housing for a compressor! It will make the unit heat up causing excessive condensation in the air being supplied to the airbrush and it will decrease the usable life span of the compressor.
Old 01-10-2006, 09:35 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by killingtime
Don't build a housing for a compressor! It will make the unit heat up causing excessive condensation in the air being supplied to the airbrush and it will decrease the usable life span of the compressor.
That's true depending on the housing you build, I should have elaborated. You don't want to totally enclose the compressor with no air circulation. The housing won't totally eliminate the compressor noise, but will muffle it to a more comfortable level.
I have an 80 Gal. upright I built a shed for that looks like an outhouse. It sits outside my shop on the drive where its sat for 7 yrs now. I've had no problems with heat, condensation or anything else.

If buying a new compressor fits your budget, then by all means that would be the route to go. There are many units that offer almost complete silence.
Old 01-10-2006, 10:46 AM
Tech Elite

ok, this is what i have decided - my little 2 gallon compressor has to fill up every 5 minutes or so when i am painting - very annoying...and loud...

so instead of getting a true blue painters compressor like iwata or silentaire, i am going to get a 33 gallon craftsman - which in turn, the unit itself won't be quiet, but with 33 gallons of air, and it not "refilling" all the time will in turn make it quiet...

...and i get a free air tool set when i buy it at sears....

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...id=00916732000

what do ya'll think?
Old 01-10-2006, 11:02 AM
Tech Adept

That'll work just fine and your right about it kicking on less. As I've said, if you can distance it from your work area, that will help conciderably also. Even if all you can do it put it on the other side of a door, around the corner, behind a tree or anything. Build a shed for it to keep it out of the rain and such and that will help reduce the noise also. You can install a small vent in the back and front for air circulation and it'll be just fine.
Old 01-10-2006, 03:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

I am no math wizard, but 329 is not <200.

I just bought this one and it is sure quiet. Might not blow as much PSI as you want though. It tops out at 30 psi. And since free stuff is apparently important to you, you could buy two and still have $99 left for an airtool kit. PLUS you can get a coupon for $5 off AND a free psuedo-vinyl duffelbag. Hows that for Team McGoo perks? (version 3.0 of the thumbscrews are in the works, as well as the "It's McGoo Time" clock)

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=92403
Old 01-10-2006, 05:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Tip of the day.
Go to www.hobby-lobby.com
Go to internet specials, click on coupon, it is a coupon for 40% off any 1 item in store.
I used that coupon and got a Silent Air Scorpion 1 compressor for 101.00 with tax.
Has a 45 psi cutoff and runs very quietly.
Dayton

Last edited by 1armed1; 01-10-2006 at 05:09 PM. Reason: correction
Old 01-10-2006, 08:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mr. McGoo
ok, this is what i have decided - my little 2 gallon compressor has to fill up every 5 minutes or so when i am painting - very annoying...and loud...

so instead of getting a true blue painters compressor like iwata or silentaire, i am going to get a 33 gallon craftsman - which in turn, the unit itself won't be quiet, but with 33 gallons of air, and it not "refilling" all the time will in turn make it quiet...

...and i get a free air tool set when i buy it at sears....

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...id=00916732000

what do ya'll think?
I have 15 gallon craftsman tank. First off if you think your one is annoying , youve never heard a craftsman. Its so loud , you will litterally be hurting with the craftsman. Its so loud that when its going It actually is like being at a rock concert....ears ringing , cant hear so well. If you continue with this you will loose hearing. Iam not kidding you, its no fun and Id rather sit in front of rock concert....this thing just eats at your brain and gives you headache and earache.

The reason why I went with my new campsfeld hausing quiet air compressor model.

$99 from harbor freight and I got a 3 year warranty for $20. I hear they arent the most reliable....but it works well and I can open my garage and walk into the house and wont wake people.

Where with my craftsman I run it in garage with the door shut and im waking people up as wel worried cops will get called even with everything shut at night.

Now im happy and peaceful and can sit right next to the air compressor.

Another thing that most people dont tell you about is the fact that...yeah its 33 gallon. YAY....but guess what you have to fill that up and 33gallon takes a LLOOOONNNNGGG time to fill. So you wont be able to even start airbrushing for a good few minutes.

Smaller tanks fill up quick , but also loose air quick. But the quiet air is no louder than a mini tire pump. Another thing is that craftsman is exspensive , mine was 300 or so. Yeah I got some free tools too , but you can also get same kinda tool for $30 bucks. Another problem is if that goes your out a big load of dough and 33 gallon is a lot of compressed air , which means a lot of condensation will drain....which is also a bother. Unless you have a car shop , stay away from the big tanks.
Old 01-10-2006, 08:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mr. McGoo
I have a perfectly functional PepBoy's $49.95 special air compressor that i have been very happy with, but unfortunately it is not the quietest thing in the world, and after about 2 hours of painting - i walk away with a headache - and not b/c the fumes....

Does anyone have any suggestions what they would recommend for <$200.

thanks,
marc
You know how I feel with my old craftsman. Iam going to convert this whole forum over.

Im telling you guys. Get the campsfeld hausing $99 dollar "quiet air" model compressor. Super quiet , gets 150psi , has regulator....super portable....can even clean your RC's off with it and you can even do light work on your car with real air tools.

By far the best buy Ive come across. I sit right next to it and its no louder than a compact battery run tire pump that you put in your car for emergency.