Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Way to Reinforce TC Bodies?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2005, 09:30 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Best Way to Reinforce TC Bodies?

Hey folks!

I've been living/racing/painting in Los Angeles for 3 years & just moved to PA. I know this sounds crazy, but here they go INSIDE and race TOURING CARS on CARPETS for the winter!

It's been a lot of fun A major learning experience for me and actually for most of my local track's racers this is our first indoor or TC experience. As the resident Paint Pro, I am supposed to be the body expert. And it turns out, TC racing is pretty darn hard on bodies! I had it down to a science, how to strengthen and prolong the life of an off-road body, but this is a new type of abuse and to be honest I'm surprised. How can they get so wasted with no triples or whoops?

What is the best way to reinforce the front of these bodies? I've heard strapping tape, duct tape, Shoe Goo, drywall tape/paste. What method will prevent the inevitable cracking and/or paint flaking the longest? I know about filling in the gap between bumper and body. Any other techniques?

We've all been experimenting at my track with the bodies I've done. But really, it's my job to know this stuff. It's part of what they are paying me for

Help?

Thanks folks,

Chris Hults
Lux Graphics
Old 11-23-2005, 09:33 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

i thinl people use shoe goo to keep the paint on around the places where paint is most like to come off like the wheel area bumpers etc...
Old 11-24-2005, 08:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

We had this discussion on my LHS forum....hope this helps

Here is what I used. I bought drywall repair tape from the paint department and Amazing Goop All Purpose Adhesive & Sealant (shoe goo) at Lowe’s. The tape has an adhesive back, but it is not enough to reinforce the body. I put the tape around all the normal areas that crack, due to my lack of driving skills, applied a liberal amount of goop over the tape. The tape is a mess, so the goop fills the gaps in the mess. I let the goop dry, and then I cut the body and used a reamer to put the holes in for the body post. I hope this helps.

That is exactly what i have done as well and works like a charm - the goo was in the Sealant section of Home Dept - where all the glue, caulking, and tape is....approximately $5.00

They had some yellow dry wall patching tape there, but i was afraid you would be able to see the yellow through a light color on my body, so i went to the actual dry wall section by the lumber and found the tape there - it is 2.5" thick tacky mesh tape - approx. $4.00

I then found the latex rubber gloves b/c I know the sealant would be super messy and I can use my fingers to smooth out the edges...
(and for all of the jokes that might follow this statement - {Tony and Bobby - and I can even see Paul making a comment here} - get your minds out the gutter

I then lay down the tape around the wheel wells of my onroad car (this is where they break the most) - I trim it all up to fit - THEN - I put down the sealant/shoe goo.

The goo/sealant is extremely potent - this stuff stinks!!! So make sure you are in a well ventilated area.

Marc
Old 11-25-2005, 09:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

While on the subject of shoe goo, what do you guys use to place the side foils onto the wing. It seems when using shoe goo it eats into or cracks off the paint.
Old 11-28-2005, 01:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

The first sign of a crack I'll put a little shoe goo on, after that its time for a new body. I don't like to put all that weight on the body.

Where in PA are you at. I race in the south east area.
Old 11-28-2005, 05:33 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for the advice, guys!

Regarding Shoe Goo, some say they use it, some say it flakes the paint off. Which is it? I used it for a crack once in an offroad body, and it did take the paint off. But maybe that paint wasn't backed properly? Maybe laquer paint or FasKoat keeps it from peeling?

I think on my next personal not-for-a-client body, I'll try the mesh tape and "Goop" from Lowe's. If it works, maybe I can provide that service for my TC clients.

I'm in the State College area, but I race mostly in Altoona (www.altoonaraceway.com). Also race at McCulloughs (http://www.mcculloughsrcracing.com/) in Sarver north of Pittsburgh and a couple of times at Bumps & Jumps south of Harrisburg. Generally, Los Angeles has better tracks, shops & facilities -- but I like the people here in PA much more. The racing is friendly, positive & fun

Chris Hults
Lux Graphics

Any other TC reinforcement ideas? I expected to be swimming in advice from all of you Paint Pros with all your experience!
Old 11-28-2005, 08:47 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Lux Graphics
Thanks for the advice, guys!
Any other TC reinforcement ideas? I expected to be swimming in advice from all of you Paint Pros with all your experience!
I agree! I'm very interested in this.
Old 11-28-2005, 10:17 PM
TEM
Tech Regular

Use a large foam bumper that goes right up to the body; you might have do so some carving in this case. This keeps the body from compressing in a head on collision and cracking around the bumper and part above the front wheels. Reinforce the wheelwells with offcut lexan and shoegoo. Do the same for body post holes. Use a circle cutter for wheel cutouts and smooth out the hole edge with a file or sanding drum or sand paper. Bad scissor cuts, even if it's 1 barb (really a small tear) in the front end will tear up big time in a crash. And ofcourse the obvious, try not to hit anything! (sorry)
Old 11-29-2005, 06:13 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Shoe goo in my experience will sometimes take the paint off, but I only use it on small cracks when it gets worse than that i just retire the body.

I lived in State College for a while, can't remember much though I race at Bumps and Jumps some too, I hate the claypet though! Is altoona I assume an indoor track, I have some friends that live in that area still.
Old 11-29-2005, 06:34 AM
Tech Apprentice

Great guys! Please keep the ideas/advice coming!

Altoona has an outdoor offroad track, which will grow and be redesigned next Spring with a few truckloads of new clay. They have a new location this winter with a pretty nice indoor carpet track. It's not Ozite, but there is a good crowd and lots of classes every weekend. Direct anyone interested to www.altoonaraceway.com. In addition to the classes you see, the mini class is heating up with mini touring cars (I have a BRP) and we are all asking Santa for bone-stock Tamiya TT01 cars so we can have a true spec class -- no hopups allowed!

Chris Hults
Lux Graphics