water based silver?

Old 02-06-2016, 04:21 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default water based silver?

Hi all,

I am looking for a good water based silver that i can air brush as either a primary color or as a backer. to date, I've tried fascolor pearl silver and wicked silver. Both of these seem to spray very very trasparent. More like they are suspended flakes in a clear coat, rather than a silver colored paint (if that makes any sense). After 3 coats, i can place my hand behind the silver, and see it plain as day. In addition, i have used both autoair aluminum medium and coarse as candy 2.0 backers. Those paints are advertised as "flakes in clear", and they look like it when applied.

I'm spraying through a .5mm or .8mm tip, about 30-35 psi, slightly reduced with appropriate thinner.

When i spray pactra rattle can silver, it coats, is not transparent, and looks like silver (not grey).

Thoughts or recommendations? Different paint prep needed?

Last edited by SevetS; 02-06-2016 at 04:22 PM. Reason: corrections
Old 02-06-2016, 07:52 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

What about backing the Faskolor with something like white or black?
Old 02-06-2016, 08:34 PM
Tech Initiate

thanks for the suggestion. i have done this, simply because additional coats do not seem to matter. is this what is typically required for silver, or am i just doing something wrong?

maybe i just havent tried the right paint yet.
Old 02-06-2016, 11:42 PM
Tech Adept

Seems to be normal at least for faskolor metalic kinda paints, happens to me with gold, silver and i think even a bit with faskrome, but i've always backed them with another colour because someone told me those kind of paints don't stick to the body as well without backing.
Old 02-11-2016, 09:43 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

AutoAir fine base aluminum
Old 02-11-2016, 06:30 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by 1967rs View Post
AutoAir fine base aluminum
Less transparent?
Old 02-11-2016, 07:05 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Sully View Post
Less transparent?
Ive used the medium varient, and i do say it coats the best of the ones i initially listed. here is a pic of the medium aluminum with a thin backing of wicked silver. the green is autoair candy2o poison green

Attachment 1347542

Last edited by SevetS; 01-27-2020 at 07:00 AM.
Old 02-11-2016, 11:26 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by SevetS View Post
Ive used the medium varient, and i do say it coats the best of the ones i initially listed. here is a pic of the medium aluminum with a thin backing of wicked silver. the green is autoair candy2o poison green
Looks good.
Old 02-12-2016, 07:21 AM
Tech Adept

Hi all,

I am looking for a good water based silver that i can air brush as either a primary color or as a backer. to date, I've tried fascolor pearl silver and wicked silver. Both of these seem to spray very very trasparent. More like they are suspended flakes in a clear coat, rather than a silver colored paint (if that makes any sense). After 3 coats, i can place my hand behind the silver, and see it plain as day. In addition, i have used both autoair aluminum medium and coarse as candy 2.0 backers. Those paints are advertised as "flakes in clear", and they look like it when applied.

I'm spraying through a .5mm or .8mm tip, about 30-35 psi, slightly reduced with appropriate thinner.

When i spray pactra rattle can silver, it coats, is not transparent, and looks like silver (not grey).

i use Duratrax or tamia spray cans for silver. alot of times i will use it
on the out side of the body. cut the clear plastic on the outside of the body
and peel off what you want to paint just like it's masking film. you have to
spray a clear coat over what you paint on the outside to protect.
Old 02-12-2016, 07:22 AM
Tech Adept

Hi all,

i use Duratrax or tamia spray cans for silver. alot of times i will use it
on the out side of the body. cut the clear plastic film on the outside of the body
and peel off what you want to paint just like it's masking film. you have to
spray a clear coat over what you paint on the outside to protect it.
Old 02-23-2016, 06:34 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Sully View Post
Less transparent?
The fine base works well as a stand alone color or as a backer and is way less transparent then the faskrome, the medium base is similar to faskrome
Old 09-06-2016, 11:17 AM
Tech Initiate

Attachment 1347542
Don't mean to necro this thread, but is that green backed with the medium aluminum as well?

I have ordered the fine version of aluminum base in hopes to create a sparkle flame gradient for a friend.

I guess my main question is, does the aluminum base "sparkle" like in your photo?
Old 09-06-2016, 12:51 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by dividedbymind View Post
Don't mean to necro this thread, but is that green backed with the medium aluminum as well?

I have ordered the fine version of aluminum base in hopes to create a sparkle flame gradient for a friend.

I guess my main question is, does the aluminum base "sparkle" like in your photo?
The medium and course will give a bass boat look, the fine not so much.
Old 09-06-2016, 02:33 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by 1967rs View Post
The medium and course will give a bass boat look, the fine not so much.
Thanks for the quick response. The job he wants me to recreate is definitely not a bass boat kind of sparkle - just *some* sparkle.

Think I'll be OK with fine?
Old 09-08-2016, 09:09 PM
Tech Initiate

yes. that was the medium aluminum in the picture. that one turned out well with the candy2o. ive had a few that did not turn out so well. the thing to remember with the candy is THIN COATS, and dont rush it. just apply more thin coats.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.