Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to paint a dotted line?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2015, 08:13 AM
Tech Adept

Default How to paint a dotted line?

I would like to recreate a design of a real racing car. It has two colors, but these are separated by a dotted white line. Any ideas how to paint the dotted line?

I was thinking of using thin stripes of masking tape and then cutting the spaces out on the body. But I would have to use some masking on top of it, probably liquid mask, and not sure if it would remove also the tape when removing the LM.
Old 10-23-2015, 04:37 AM
Tech Adept

I want to get a very similar design to the Mazdaspeed6 official pics:
Attached Thumbnails How to paint a dotted line?-1487-00.jpg  
Old 10-23-2015, 05:14 AM
Suspended

hi when i painted i used some drafting templetes. and a plastic cupboard sheet..http://www.draftingsuppliesdew.com/s...pose-templates
Old 10-23-2015, 06:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

You could have custom vinyl masking cut for that pattern. PM me for more details.
Old 10-23-2015, 06:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by perzeus
I would like to recreate a design of a real racing car. It has two colors, but these are separated by a dotted white line. Any ideas how to paint the dotted line?

I was thinking of using thin stripes of masking tape and then cutting the spaces out on the body. But I would have to use some masking on top of it, probably liquid mask, and not sure if it would remove also the tape when removing the LM.
The LM will not lift the tape if it's a good quality vinyl tape.
Old 11-20-2015, 05:35 AM
Tech Adept

So I finally managed to put the design on the body. I tried to mimic the paint scheme of the Le Mans winning Mazda 787B. I used the custom vinyl masking from Dave, which worked great - thanks again

Although I have to say even with the pre-cut masking it took a ridiculous amount of effort, starting from the correct placement of the lines trying to make them parallel, masking, unmasking etc. I also made some mistakes when working with the fluorescent colors, but I really like how the design looks so will try to improve it once I demolish this body.
Attached Thumbnails How to paint a dotted line?-787b.jpg   How to paint a dotted line?-img_1919.jpg