Brake Light System

Old 11-05-2005, 04:06 PM
Tech Adept

Default Brake Light System

First off I'd like to notify you that I live in Canada. I know Varad makes Lights for car, but I don't really want to order if I don't have to. I have the Novak Rooster ESC, it has support for their disontinued Novak Brake Light kit, but I can't find it readily. I was wondering if I could somehow make my own. Can I just hook up some LEDs and will they react the same? Will they brake when I brake? If not is there some kind of circuit that would allow this? I do plan on doing head lights too, but in this case That is probably irrelevant.

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-06-2005, 10:42 AM
Tech Adept

Looking at the Varad photos again and the instruction (on their site) it looks like they have to have a little black box that does something (i'm not sure what) so i guess I'm outta luck on making them. Unless anyone knows about these and has done some before.
Old 11-06-2005, 12:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Man.....I don't know what to tell ya.

Novak used to have the Cyclone with the Brake Light Circuity built in, but have been discontinued for a while now. It was so simple then......The next ones I know of is RAm. They make turn signal, headlight and taillight systems for r/c cars and I do believe they make brake light systems too. Problem is the RAm systems add weight. It may not mean much if you are just stylin' and bashin', but when it comes to racing, its a different matter. I uased to run the old Cyclone with one brake light in my F1 a long time ago....it was cool to see in action. It would be nice if I can contact a Novak Technician to see how and where to connect the brake light. I'll donate one of my kidneys for that infomation!
Old 11-06-2005, 01:16 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by GundamWZero
I'll donate one of my kidneys for that infomation!
Yeah me too .

I know that the Rooster has the circuitry built in too, but what I don't know is if I can just hook up LEDs and they work, or if I would need something else.
I wish they hadn't discontinued the kit though. Big dum-dums
Old 11-06-2005, 02:49 PM
Tech Master

Do a web search for LED resistor calculator. Measure the voltage and see what LEDs and resistors you want.
Old 11-06-2005, 07:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

you didn't mention if you were planning on using it for bashing or during racing? If it's just for show, I may be able to help you out....but it will add weight.
Old 11-07-2005, 06:31 AM
Tech Adept

Sry guys, it's for show. I think I've got it covered though. My friend at another forum is ordering a bunch and I asked him if he'd order me some. I just need to hook it up to my ESC (Novak Rooster with built in brake light circuitry) and have fun .

I plan to use your idea killingtime with the pressure switch as an on/off liked we discussed. The only problem is where do I find a pressure switch? I haven't been into my LHS yet so I hope they'll have them.

The other thing I wanted to ask was if there are any radios (the pistol style or whatever it's called) that have 4-5 channels and could store 2-3+ vehicles? I know the flight ones have more but I'd prefer the pistol style.

Last edited by MikeWO; 11-07-2005 at 05:15 PM.
Old 11-08-2005, 10:47 AM
Tech Adept

I have a couple Cyclones, and a Duster II; both models have the brakelight circuitry included. The Novak brakelight kit is little more than a pair of red LED's, a couple mounting brackets, and some long power leads. The ESC (models with the appropriate circuitry) handles everything else. All you need to do is connect the leads to the brakelight pigtails on the ESC, mount the LEDs with the brackets, then plug the LEDs into the leads. On my ESC's, I've added a female Deans 1-pole Micro plug, so I can shuffle light setups on and off at will.
If you wanted to make a light kit of your own, you need only some wire to get the power to the LEDs, some kind of mounting system, and the LEDs themselves. A few micro plugs instead of soldering everywhere wouldn't come amiss either.

You ask also about multichannel radio systems. Nomadio has recently added a fourth channel to their Sensor system with their latest beta firmware. As for memory slots, it'll do 8 models. It does seem on the face of it to be a bit spendy, but if you compare it to trying to assemble something comparable with other systems, it's significantly cheaper. Just a thought.
Old 11-08-2005, 03:41 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks very much. This solves the majority of my problems (aside from money ) I'll look into the radio. Thanks again because this confirmation was all I really needed.
Old 11-09-2005, 04:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search

This is the type of switch I used. I called it a "pressure switch" but this is what I meant.
Old 11-10-2005, 03:33 PM
Tech Adept

thank you very much! that's exactly what I thought I needed... I didn't know if I could build it, but this will be simple . I think I'll run over to radioshack tonight I get the chance.

Thanks,
Mike