Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Painting, Designs, Graphics and Photography
How long do you Take to Paint?  Post Designs and Time >

How long do you Take to Paint? Post Designs and Time

How long do you Take to Paint? Post Designs and Time

Old 09-26-2014, 04:49 PM
Tech Initiate

Guess I need to improve on my production time.
I have a sct so I do sct bodies cut and trim so I can see if I would like it for myself.

Usually do about 5 coats of liquid mask with a brush (haven't figured out how to spray it on yet) that takes maybe and hour total of application time but spread out over 3 days.

Design takes awhile. I'm having fun so a challenge is cool. Maybe 3 to 4 hours not including day dreaming.

Cutting mask: not too long probably 1 to 2 hours. getting more confident with my razor work.

Painting takes awhile because more day dreaming is involved. Need to see the perfect color in my head first.

The last two I sold on ebay to the highest bidder. Not trying to make a living just enough money to paint another one. Bought the bodies at retail price and thats where I start the bidding. Only done two this way but made $40 on the first and $36 on the second. That's probably less than $2 and hour. Still fun.
Old 09-29-2014, 09:18 PM
Tech Initiate

I'm really new at this. I probably spent about 20 hours just on the test panel for this one. It was the first time using liquid mask, so I did three scenes on the test panel to check my technique and colors. I did each scene separately and trying different things. Once I had that down, the body went well, but as you can imagine the cutting took forever! I probably had forty hours in the body. It's been 8 months now, and I'm just now ready to do another body. I'm looking on here to get some inspiration for color scheme. I won't be doing anything with so many lines again though.

Chevis
Attached Thumbnails How long do you Take to Paint?  Post Designs and Time-beast_014.jpg   How long do you Take to Paint?  Post Designs and Time-beast_016.jpg   How long do you Take to Paint?  Post Designs and Time-beast_018.jpg   How long do you Take to Paint?  Post Designs and Time-beast_019.jpg  
Old 09-30-2014, 10:54 AM
Tech Initiate

Chevis; Nice job!
Old 10-01-2014, 04:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Here's a MBX7T lid I did for myself

Spray liquid mask- 5 minutes
Clean liquid mask gun- 5 minutes.
Let mask dry and procrastinate because my Mbx6T body fit. 7 days
Draw and cut 1.5 hours, I have my design down pretty good.
Peel and paint 2.5 hours
10 minutes to apply backing then rustolium sealer.

So total I have 7 days and roughly 4.5 hours. If I quit the procrastination I might be able to cut some time off but that's unlikely.

Old 10-02-2014, 06:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

No idea how you guys do it. I am a hobbyist painter, meaning I paint mostly for myself, and for a friend when they bug me long enough.

This is an etruggy body (so yes big) but a simple design compared to pretty much everything here. I have so many hours in it...
  • 1.5 hours applying liquid mask (not counting dry time, 3-4 coats with a foam brush)
  • 1.5 hours drawing the design (all by hand with sharpies)
  • 2 hours cutting it out (carpal tunnel makes these steps slower for me)
  • 6-8 hours peeling mask and painting

I use 1 airbrush (Iwata BCS), clean with water between colors, and can do 4 colors before i have to clean the bottle adapters. I go grills and headlights first (black and silver), peel the paint the pinstriping (silver), peel and paint the window surrounds (white, then back the pinstriping with white so the darker colors do not come through). Then I peel the black area, so the white effects, then black. Peel the rear, do the black shadow bits, then green with some masks and edging, then yellow, then back with white. Peel the front, then paint purple, red, orange, yellow, white. Let dry then back with Rustoleum clear coat.

I applaud you guys that do this seriously, I could never do it in the quality, quantity, or time frame that you can.
Attached Thumbnails How long do you Take to Paint?  Post Designs and Time-truggy.jpg  
Old 10-27-2014, 09:22 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by elex300
I usually paint 5 or 6 at a time but I did just recently shoot this right before I left for the ROAR Nats.

Masking time was about an hour to shoot 3 coats and let it air dry.
Design was about 30 min.
Cut was about 45 min.
Paint was about 2.5 hours
Backing with Rustoleum 20 mins for 3 coats heat treating in between.

Fantastic work!

Are all your lines cut by hand into liquid mask? If so, any tips on how to get them so straight? What paint are you using for this one.

Again, fantastic!

jB
Old 11-20-2014, 04:47 PM
Tech Addict

Default 3hrs

This one was about 3 hours start to finish. Scanning Windows, lights & Grill, Making vectors and paint.