Wiki Posts
Search

Paint Job Critique

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 11:05 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default Paint Job Critique

So I started painting about 3 months ago and figured it was time to see what the pros on here have to say. Please give me you honest constructive criticism so I can continue to sharpen my technique. Thank you in advance for your time and assistance.

This is my very very first paint job. Took forever but it was worth it.

This is obviously my own concept, it is similar to the my first paint job that I did on my short course. A friend wanted me to paint it for him after he saw my SC.

This concept was primarily from Max AirBrush, I really like it and thought I would give it a try. The under tray is the LFR Dude.

This concept I took from a couple of you on here, kind of a mix and match with my own twists.

This concept was again taken from you pros on here, I am pretty sure it is from Haigh Designz but I am not confident. Forgive me if I am incorrect.

This is my most recent, entirely my concept.

Old 06-07-2014, 10:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Your early work is excelent.. The improvement in your work really shows from your first work until your current bodies.. It looks like on green and orange body you painted the orange after the white.. Try to plan out your colors appropriately from darkest to lightest..

I've been painting for more than 16 years and I learn something new all the time..
Old 06-07-2014, 11:38 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks for the kind words Roly. I did go the wrong way on the orange/white, sometimes I forget or because of what I am trying to achieve its hard to go from dark to light but I have to remember to back it with a solid.
Old 06-08-2014, 01:27 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Three months ago...you're pretty advanced for starting out! Aside from the orange bleed thru, I notice on the blue car the cut lines are a bit chippy. I don't really see it that bad on the other cars. (Thicker amount of liquid mask may have fixed that for you).

Been airbrushing RC 4 years now...but I draw pretty good! You're off to an outstanding start.
Old 06-08-2014, 04:59 PM
Tech Adept

Much appreciated Sk3tch.

Yeah I had issues figuring out the whole liquid mask thing. First I tried spraying it through an airbrush but that didn't work very well, too thick. Second I tried the brush/roller method, too inconsistent. Now I have finally purchased and use a 7oz. Touch up spray gun that works wonders and is relatively quick. It has been a huge help in the whole process.

The other issue I am still working on is the consistency/thickness of the paints. The Faskolor has been the most difficult to spray and tip dry is very often. Createx on the other hand has been much better, but it is a little more expensive. Even the opaque white out of the larger bottles flow fairly easily. I would like to get the Faskolor figured out because of it's availability to me where I live.

I use the Paasche Talon brushes and have gotten pretty good at trigger control. However with my paint issues mentioned above my brushes can be difficult to control at times.

I too have been into art since forever but I have had a hard time ever putting color to my pieces so most of it has been black and white utilizing shading to create texture/dimension. The only color I ever had any success with was pencil. Airbrushing has really revived an itch that had faded for a while allowing me to be creative and use color to bring stuff to life.