SpazStix paint cracked & chipping

Old 03-11-2014, 08:02 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default SpazStix paint cracked & chipping

I recently purchased quite a few bottles of SpazStix paint and spent ALOT of time painting a new set of bodies. After this past weekends racing I noticed significant cracking and chipping in my paint. I have never used SpaxStix before, so I'm not sure if I noobed up the prep or SpaxStix paint sucks. I was very careful in prepping and painting the bodies, so I'm not sure what went wrong. Before applying the liquid mask I washed all the bodies with warm/hot water and dish soap. Once the bodies dried I immediately applied the liquid mask. After letting the mask dry for a few days I began painting.

I have to paint a new body and would hate to have to switch paint brands, but im very reluctant to use SpazStix just to have this new paint job chip. Does anyone have any experience with SpazStix and how to prevent it from chipping and cracking. A buddy recently told me that I should have scuffed the inside a bit prior to painting, would this have prevented my paint from cracking?

In regards to the chipped bodies I want to try to salvage them by doing some repair painting then maybe coat them with a rubberized undercoat so the cracked areas do not flake off. Any thoughts on this idea?
Old 03-11-2014, 10:06 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I under coat all my bodies with Rustoleum black white or clear enamel. No issues with paint cracking or chipping on this one, which the back half is all spaz stix...

I did have some issues with black backer flaking off of chrome before I under coated it, just peeling mask off, which was surprising...

If you start using the rust oleum, I would wait at least 24 hours of cure on the paint job before you do, just to be safe. I have done it as soon as 12 hours with water based paint.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:04 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks for the info, I forgot to mention that I did back the SpazStix with Rustoleum High-Performance Enamel. I let the SpazStix dry for a few days before I applied the Rustoleum. Once the Rustoleum dried the bodies sat for a few weeks before I used them this past weekend.
Old 03-11-2014, 01:52 PM
Tech Master

I use this:

http://www.rustoleum.com/product-cat...-enamel-spray/

Not sure how much a difference it makes, but its the only thing I am doing differently than you. Maybe the high performance cures to a harder finish, which would be no good and might be the cause your issue.
Old 03-11-2014, 02:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

This is the reason I quit using Spaz Stix paint except for chrome for small pins and stuff. No matter what I did, it eventually cracked and peeled off. The same colors can pretty much be had from AutoAir, Createx and Faskolor.
Old 03-11-2014, 03:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

What colors did you use? Is one color worse than another? Was it airbrush or aerosol paint? Can you post some pics?
Old 03-11-2014, 05:54 PM
Tech Adept

I have a pic of the paint before the damage was done, will try to take a pic of the damage tomorrow allthough I began trying to patch it up. The paint seems to have hardened to the shape of the shell and wherever the lexan flexed the paint did not flex with it and just cracked and/or chipped off. Most of the major damage was on the roof of the 8ight
Attached Thumbnails SpazStix paint cracked & chipping-1902998_10203030772627282_1008380932_n.jpg  
Old 03-11-2014, 08:38 PM
Tech Master

sounds just like what I thought... Paint cured too hard, the undercoat.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:05 AM
Tech Adept

ugh, bummer. I spent soo much time on these paint jobs and it seems like they may be done for after a few runs. I painted 4 bodies in this batch . Maybe if I spray some rubberized undercoat I can prevent the paint from chipping off once it cracks. I guess i will stay away from the Rustoleum Performance Enamel and use Protective Enamel
Old 03-12-2014, 09:20 AM
Tech Master

Maybe scuff the under coat and spray the other stuff. could soak in and soften it up... worth a shot.

I'd go pretty heavy on the grit though, really open it up.
Old 03-12-2014, 12:49 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by DasHaas View Post
ugh, bummer. I spent soo much time on these paint jobs and it seems like they may be done for after a few runs. I painted 4 bodies in this batch . Maybe if I spray some rubberized undercoat I can prevent the paint from chipping off once it cracks. I guess i will stay away from the Rustoleum Performance Enamel and use Protective Enamel
I hear you on the frustration! Spaz Stix is solvent based as well as Rustoleum and the rubber/bedliner coatings. I find that those coatings mess with and react to the Spaz Stix paint. I do not use them! The best thing that I have found for backing bodies is Createx Gloss or Matte top coat. I've been using it since 2000 and works great. I prefer the gloss. There is a learning curve to laying it down though. Its cheap, not as cheap as it used to be, but 32 oz can do a lot of bodies.

My suggestion on your next ones, phase out Spaz Stix and convert to AutoAir and Createx.
Old 03-13-2014, 06:51 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks for the info Chuck, does the Createx and AutoAir adhere to the bodies well? What do you use for backing for Createx and AutoAir? Just the Createx gloss?
Old 03-13-2014, 07:10 AM
Tech Master

I use faskolor for everything but white, which is createx, then back that with the Rust-o-leum. Well, spaz stix for chrome, but that is it. And I usually do a whole coat of the white createx before I put the backer on. Most recent body I finished about 10 p.m. and backed at 7 a.m. the next day with no reaction.

If you are used to spraying with spaz stix, you are gonna need to thin any water based stuff quite a bit to get it to spray like solvent paint. The last body I did I thinned with water instead of the auto air reducer or windex. Sprayed well, but doesn't lay on as well, but I could have ever thinned, too.

I did have the same problem with the spaz stix backer lifting off the chrome when I peeled the mask up.

Really, the rustoleum white and black enamel is the best backer I have ever used. Better than the clear even. The clear dries real fast where as the white and black really takes a full day to set up. But it's fuel proof, easy to wipe off(any gloss will be) and stays flexible.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:09 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by DasHaas View Post
Thanks for the info Chuck, does the Createx and AutoAir adhere to the bodies well? What do you use for backing for Createx and AutoAir? Just the Createx gloss?
Yep, it sticks extremely well. For backing, I buy Createx Opaque white in 32 oz bottles to make the entire inside white and then back with Createx Gloss Top Coat.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:08 AM
Tech Adept

So I'm going to chalk the old bodies up as another loss . I'm going to paint a new set using the following steps, please let me know if you see any issues in my plan.

1. Lightly scuff the inside of the body with a green scotch-brite pad
2. Wash the inside of the body with warm water and dish soap
3. apply three HEAVY coats of liquid mask
4. Apply Spaz-Stix paint (I have so much of it, I really want to use it up and not just throw it away)
5. back with Createx opaque white (I'm scared to use rustoleum again)

Do you guys foresee any issues here?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.