SpazStix paint cracked & chipping

Old 03-14-2014, 10:06 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

You will still want to back with a solvent based paint, Createx is water based and will not hold up as a backer. I use rustoleum painters touch, one light coat of flat white then a light coat of gloss clear.

When you are spraying the Spaz-Stix be sure to use several light coats letting it dry between coats. I know the florescent colors have had some issues with flaking, you might want to look into spraying a light coat of automotive adhesion premotor before spraying the color.
Old 03-14-2014, 10:58 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DasHaas
So I'm going to chalk the old bodies up as another loss . I'm going to paint a new set using the following steps, please let me know if you see any issues in my plan.

1. Lightly scuff the inside of the body with a green scotch-brite pad
2. Wash the inside of the body with warm water and dish soap
3. apply three HEAVY coats of liquid mask
4. Apply Spaz-Stix paint (I have so much of it, I really want to use it up and not just throw it away)
5. back with Createx opaque white (I'm scared to use rustoleum again)

Do you guys foresee any issues here?
Sounds good to me except leaving the opaque white without backing it. Get either some Faskote or Createx Gloss or Matte too coat and seal it.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:22 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

So, I have a set of bodies that i will be painting for my 22's. I have the lines mapped out and am about to start cleaning / masking. My question is about scuffing the inside of the body before applying the mask. How much do I scuff? I'm assuming i wont be going crazy like frosting a wing, but Im not sure how much to scuff. Does anyone have a picture that I can use as a reference to know how much to scuff? I am concerned that the scratches will show up through the paint.

Also, I'm going to try SpazStix again since I have so much of it, but will be phasing out the SpazStix and switching to Createx soon
Old 03-21-2014, 05:29 PM
Tech Regular

Exclamation

So, I have a set of bodies that i will be painting for my 22's. I have the lines mapped out and am about to start cleaning / masking. My question is about scuffing the inside of the body before applying the mask. How much do I scuff? I'm assuming i wont be going crazy like frosting a wing, but Im not sure how much to scuff. Does anyone have a picture that I can use as a reference to know how much to scuff? I am concerned that the scratches will show up through the paint.

Also, I'm going to try SpazStix again since I have so much of it, but will be phasing out the SpazStix and switching to Createx soon
I use fine steel wool and just scrub gently in a circular motion until it has a very light haze while being careful not to scuff the windows. I have never used scotch-brite but it would probably be similar. DO NOT use sandpaper. I used sandpaper once and the scratches showed up really bad but with steel wool you cant see anything after it's painted.
Old 03-22-2014, 05:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Not sure how good this will show up but this is how much I scuff.

Old 03-23-2014, 04:22 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Thanks for the info, I forgot to mention that I did back the SpazStix with Rustoleum High-Performance Enamel. I let the SpazStix dry for a few days before I applied the Rustoleum. Once the Rustoleum dried the bodies sat for a few weeks before I used them this past weekend.
Here is your problem. I've been using Spaztix for over 18months and i have experienced what your talking only once.

The enamel you have used directly on the spaztix react and separate causing cracking like old wrinkly skin. The trick is if you use spaztix to paint something make sure you have a good coat of a reputable WB paint and seal in the whole thing. Usually white or Black. Then leave to dry for 2 or 3 days then when you use your sealer apply dust coats, it may take 15 coats but apply it ever so lightly. The one time i had this problem I was in a rush and dumped a load of the clear coat into the shell and away it went and cracked the lot. Then it just chipped off.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Spaztix product. I use it on shells, pitboards and helmets and never have any problems.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:22 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Update

Thanks for your help guys!! I used your tips on my latest set of bodies and they seem to be good to go. After this past weekends racing there was no chipping! Seems it was my backing/ protection layer that was to thick and caused the cracking. I'm eventually going to switch to createx but for the next few sets ill use up my spaz stix. Thanks again guys!!!!