Community
Wiki Posts
Search

airbrush help.

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2005, 05:06 PM
Tech Master

Default airbrush help.

hi guys, i had an airbrush a while back..it was only a cheap single action thing but it worked ok...until recently when i tried to give it a go again and it wouldn't work (tried cleaning it out and stuff but nothing)

anyway, i was wondering if you could help me with a few things, i've seen a fairly cheap dual action brush (check link below) and i was wondering if it would be ok for starting out in the airbrush 'community' lol...

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/product...0&r=2013&g=103

also, would it be ok to use cans of air instead of a compressor until i can save up for one?
Old 07-21-2005, 09:48 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Looks similar to the Crescendo. I'd say Pay for what your budget allows. That will be the best brush suited for you. The technology of teh airbrushes have remained the same for years so pretty much most airbrushes onm teh market now are decent.

Buy a compressor. Period. =)
Old 07-22-2005, 06:26 AM
Tech Master

came accross another site that sels a compressor for £45....i'll get the link so you guys can see, please let me know if its any good for what i would be needing it for.

also, is 58DB loud?

http://www.drillsdirect.com/dd/custo...89&cat=0&page=

they also do an airbrush, £10 cheaper than the other shop and it looks the same

i read something about dual action airbrushes last night that really confuzzled me.

you push down to control the flow of air, and pull up to control the flow of paint..how do you do both at the same time

http://www.drillsdirect.com/dd/custo...cat=280&page=1

ok, maybe i am on a fairly low budget but i don't need the best money can buy, only something that works and i can do 'detailed' work with
Old 07-22-2005, 06:51 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

when yo u push the control down you control air flow then when you pull it back that is the paint
Old 07-22-2005, 08:07 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by raving-monkey
also, is 58DB loud?
Typical useless information....54dB measured at 1m is not too bad, 54dB measured at 10m is going to be!
Old 07-22-2005, 09:40 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by mountaindr3wz
when yo u push the control down you control air flow then when you pull it back that is the paint
yeah i understand that..but how are you meant to pain if you can't do both at the same time
Old 07-22-2005, 07:30 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by raving-monkey
yeah i understand that..but how are you meant to pain if you can't do both at the same time

Um, it is both at the same time...

Pulling back on the trigger pulls the needle in and enlarges the opening through the nozzle, allowing more paint to pass.

Pushing the trigger down simply opens up the air to pass through.

So, you push down and then pull the trigger back, allowing more or less paint to flow depending on how far you pull the trigger back.
Old 07-22-2005, 09:16 PM
Tech Master

ahh, ok..sounds ok now

hopefully i can order the compressor and airbrush wednesday or thursday
Old 07-23-2005, 12:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

RM
let me know what you think of your products when you get ti all sorted out. I am in the same boat you are with wanting to start out in ab.

AWD
Old 07-23-2005, 09:51 AM
Tech Master

wow, i'm an RM..royal magesty

haha j/k..isn't royal magesty for queen anyway?

anyway, what airbrushes have you been looking at andrew?...might be cheaper for me to order from US..probably not actually, grr i dunno.

i'll just get that compressor i linked to and an airbrush somewhere (will only be a cheapo dual action but i will let you know how it goes)
Old 07-24-2005, 07:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

I'd buy a compressor right away. For a good body, it takes about a whole can of propellent to paint one. the cheapest i've seen them are at walmart for $8. so if you get a compressor, in the long run, you'll save lots of money. If you want a cheap, doulbe action. There's no such thing. Cheap quality, yes. But the one you have isn't so hot. I have a Testors/Aztek A7778 kit. It has like 9 nozzels, it's tripple plated chrome, and it's not what you need. It's a good airbrush, but it cost not too much more on ebay than one at towerhobbies. I'ts an expensive one. Here's one that might be good for you. It's a doulbe action. comes with 2 paint cups, one jar and cap. cleaning tool and one general use nozzel. tower's price is about the price it will be most places, pay no mind to testors' price. here's the links, hope it helps.

Towerhobbies A430

Testors' A430

other possibilites;

Tower's A470

I prefer Testors, that's why that's all you see here. Ask others about Passache and Badger brands, i have little to no knowledge about those brands.