Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Painting, Designs, Graphics and Photography
Tips on how to order a Custom RC Paintjob >

Tips on how to order a Custom RC Paintjob

Like Tree2Likes

Tips on how to order a Custom RC Paintjob

Old 01-15-2014, 04:35 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Tips on how to order a Custom RC Paintjob

For those who have been wanting to order a body, here are a few tips to make a smooth transaction and a pleasant experience. These are just suggested tips and every experience will vary depending on customer/painter.

1. Contact.
Contact the painter directly either PM, email, or phone. Do not just post on his or her thread and keep bugging until he/she responds on their thread. Not everyone checks their threads everyday, every minute. That really gets annoying. Do not post a "Looking for a paintjob to be done!" thread either. The painting thread is not about a bidding war. It is about sharing.
2. Commission.
Explain in detail your desired paintscheme as well as your budget right away. YOU can go for an hour about what you want, possibly costing about 20 hours worth of labor, then hit a painter with "can you do it for $40?". Big NO NO! Be realistic in your demands. Not everyone paints RC Cars for a living but even then, TIME is something that can never be given back, so please pay accordingly. Do not go around getting quotes from other painters then challenging a painter that "Painter XXXX will only do it for $20". I personally will automatically let the customer know im not interested in their business. You obviously know and LIKE the painter's skills otherwise why would you approach them in the first place? On top of that, why LOW BALL THEM?
3. Payment
Be ready to put down at least 50% of the quoted price of the commissioned work especially if a painter provides a concept drawing of your paintjob. Yes, that too can be billed for it does take time to draw/design/color your concept. After the concept is done and you approve, send them the 50% payment and the rest when the paintjob is completed. Usually, a painter will provide the finished product with a picture of the work. Obviously, some paintjobs with vary in color due to different lighting and cameras but that is just how it is. If it is just like the concept, then it should be good to go. If you are unhappy with the end result, you can always discuss IN PRIVATE with your painter your concerns. But in truth, if it looks like the concept, you did approve of it and is up to the painter to remedy it or not.
4. Praise
Most of us are pretty happy with our painter's work. It is good practice to PRAISE and THANK a painter publicly like his/her thread and help advertise his/her work. It is also good practice to TIP your painter. Yes, like Tatoo Artists and Waiters, etc., tipping is allowed. Showing you appreciate their hard work as well as them taking the time to communicate and cater to your painting needs deserves a reward as well. RC Painting is a SUPER SMALL community in the RC Industry. Painters do talk...so if you are a hard customer to deal with, word will get around. Be a good customer and you will get what you want. An awesome Paintjob!

Hope you all find this entertaining and helpful!
BaconRaygun and RogueIV like this.

Last edited by charlie_b; 07-01-2015 at 11:44 PM.
Old 01-15-2014, 05:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 110 (100%+)

Amen brotha! Thank you for posting this up.
Old 01-15-2014, 06:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Haha love you Charlie!
Old 01-15-2014, 07:13 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

preach brotha preach!
Old 01-15-2014, 07:21 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

I hope more than just the painters read this! LOL
Old 01-15-2014, 08:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Great post and so true!
Old 01-21-2014, 04:28 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 15 (94%+)

Great write up Charlie! I myself have been dealing with many customers trying to "wheel and deal" on pricing, Its a service we provide, not a flee market.
Old 01-21-2014, 04:30 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by briansbodies
Great write up Charlie! I myself have been dealing with many customers trying to "wheel and deal" on pricing, Its a service we provide, not a flee market.
Definitely. The less we give into those who care less about the hard and talented work we do, the more they will respect our craft and reward us for what 99% of the world can't do.
Old 01-21-2014, 06:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Best post I've seen all year Charlie.
THANK YOU!!!
Old 01-21-2014, 06:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Excellent post, the one thing I am finding that the difficult customers are becoming less and less which is a good thing. I think that posts like this definitely help give an understanding into what is done and also that the painting community talks to each other whether in here or on Facebook/Twitter.
Old 01-28-2014, 05:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

Wait...we are the 1% ?!
Old 01-28-2014, 08:36 PM
Tech Rookie

Gentlemen
I'm new here and don't mean to cause any problems, but I'm thinking it's possible you, yourselves have created some of the pricing problems.
I lurk around here looking at the outstanding talent and creativity you guys put into your craft. I've been playing around myself and really enjoy learning how to paint. While my talent is developing it's nowhere near what I see on these pages. Still-I'm finding my bodies are saleable at the local track and even the local hobby store welcomes my bodies in to sell.
My amazement comes in the meager prices you guys charge for a custom painted body. You all sell a product that is in demand and can be found almost nowhere! It takes incredible talent and time to do what you do.
Why not form an agreement and decide to raise prices?? People aren't going to value our work if we're willing to give it away.
Old 01-29-2014, 07:58 AM
Tech Master

I agree with what you say. There's only one thing: These works of art get bashed and discarded for he most part after use. If it was something along the lines of a helmet or something that's meant to stay in good condition out of harms way I would cringe less at the amount charged.

In my mind... How can a body be worth 1/3 the cost of the RC car/truck just for the paint job?

I know the amount of time and effort in these. Seems unfair at times but it is what it is.

Originally Posted by optisailor10631
Gentlemen
I'm new here and don't mean to cause any problems, but I'm thinking it's possible you, yourselves have created some of the pricing problems.
I lurk around here looking at the outstanding talent and creativity you guys put into your craft. I've been playing around myself and really enjoy learning how to paint. While my talent is developing it's nowhere near what I see on these pages. Still-I'm finding my bodies are saleable at the local track and even the local hobby store welcomes my bodies in to sell.
My amazement comes in the meager prices you guys charge for a custom painted body. You all sell a product that is in demand and can be found almost nowhere! It takes incredible talent and time to do what you do.
Why not form an agreement and decide to raise prices?? People aren't going to value our work if we're willing to give it away.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:08 AM
Tech Fanatic

For some of us there is not a track or Hobby Shop with in 1 hr plus drive. Makes it difficult to dig up business from the locals. Like Sk3tch I hear what you are saying, but as he stated they will just be destroyed and most people will not pay what they should be worth. So we all usually settle with an acceptable amount we will paint for.
Old 05-08-2014, 12:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

I know it's late, but great post Charlie B...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.