help with chrome paint

Old 11-22-2013, 12:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 99 (100%+)
Default help with chrome paint

Im am going to try chrome again. I ordered the prep and paint from cmd.do I need to thin either one? I read I need to back it with water based black. Last time I tried that it wouldnt stick. Could I get brand and part numbers for the black and the sealer please? Thnx in advance.....MW
Old 11-22-2013, 03:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 89 (99%+)

No you will not need to thin the RCS chrome it will spray right out of the bottle; same for the prep. When you tried it before did you do the chrome last or first? Were you doing a large area or just a pinstripe or other detail? Chrome can be tricky untill you have worked with it for a few times and get a feel for it. It sounds like you may have layed down the chrome or black too heavy, or you tried to pull the masking around it too soon??
Old 11-22-2013, 04:31 PM
Tech Fanatic

I did the chrome first on a large area.it just flaked off after running it a few times. I may have used a non waterbased black because the water based wouldnt stick.What black back do I need? And do I need 2 seal it? Thnx...MW
Old 11-22-2013, 04:41 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by maxx90 View Post
I did the chrome first on a large area.it just flaked off after running it a few times. I may have used a non waterbased black because the water based wouldnt stick.What black back do I need? And do I need 2 seal it? Thnx...MW
I just back it with fascolor black, no sealer. I have never had it chip, or anything.
Old 11-22-2013, 05:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

It never hurts to back your whole paint job with Rustoleum White or clear. It extends the life of the paint job quite a bit.
Old 11-22-2013, 06:48 PM
Tech Elite

Ok just ordinary faskolor fasblack is fine for backing. However keep in mind that chrome is not a true paint and has virtually no bonding to the lexan, its the backer and sealer that keeps it in place. So large areas have a greater chance to flake. Make sure that you give the chrome time to cure inbetween coats and before you apply the wb black. I also use Rustoleum white as a sealer to help protect the wb paint.
Old 11-22-2013, 08:18 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default chrome

OK thnx for the input guys. Heres my plan I am going to do all my other colors first. then clean with soap and water then a couple light coats of prep, 3 light coats of chrome, then couple coats of fasblack then seal with rustoleum clear allowing ample time for drying between all coats. this is going to be on a 1/8 nitro body painting about the back half chrome. with neon flames on front. I ordered the paint n prep today from rcs we will see how it turns out. Actually kinda like my avatar.
Old 11-23-2013, 07:21 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by maxx90 View Post
OK thnx for the input guys. Heres my plan I am going to do all my other colors first. then clean with soap and water then a couple light coats of prep, 3 light coats of chrome, then couple coats of fasblack then seal with rustoleum clear allowing ample time for drying between all coats. this is going to be on a 1/8 nitro body painting about the back half chrome. with neon flames on front. I ordered the paint n prep today from rcs we will see how it turns out. Actually kinda like my avatar.
You cannot wash the body durring the painting process as it will wash off any wb paints and could have negitive effects to solvent paints also. Wash the body before you do the masking and just use the prep on new sections as you remove masking. Very light on the prep.

Bty I sent you an email about your shipping address, did you receive that?
Old 11-24-2013, 11:02 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default paint

Yes I did and replied. thnx...MW