Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Painting, Designs, Graphics and Photography
Best paint sealing alternative to Rustoleum Crystal Clear >

Best paint sealing alternative to Rustoleum Crystal Clear

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best paint sealing alternative to Rustoleum Crystal Clear

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 12:42 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Best paint sealing alternative to Rustoleum Crystal Clear

Hi paint experts,

What would you recommend as the best clear sealant spray for paint-jobs done with FasKolor/AutoAir paints? I've concluded from reading here that Rustoleum Crystal Clear Enamel is maybe the best suggestion, but infuriatingly, I've discovered that this product is all but unavailable in Canada. I've wasted miles and miles of gas driving EVERYWHERE looking for this; 2 Walmarts didn't have it, Canadian Tire didn't have it, and Rona didn't have it. Searches on the Canadian versions of Home Depot & Lowe's seem to indicate they don't have it, either. When I ask about it in person, I either elicit blank stares or a suggestion to use one of a half-dozen OTHER kinds of clear paint. Nothing is more frustrating than finding out a particular well-known and highly-recommended American product is either unavailable in Canada or rebranded as something else!

So, seeing as it doesn't look like I'll track this stuff down, what would you recommend as a next-best choice, that's available in Canada?

Thanks for the help!

Last edited by Coelacanth; 08-14-2013 at 01:37 PM. Reason: I meant paint sealer, not backer. Oops!
Old 08-14-2013, 05:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I use enamel gloss black or white paint to seal mine with out any issues at all, I make sure that if its a light base paint job that I paint a last coat of white faskolor then back with white gloss enamel or if its a dark final coat then I paint a black faskolor final coat then back it with black gloss enamel.

People suggest clear enamel's because it will not change the paint jobs colours, but if you follow the white or black rule colours stay close to the same, if you had a light coloured paint job and then backed it with black the colours darken a little with the dark enamel backing them this is why people suggest clear back/sealer enamel
Old 08-14-2013, 06:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 110 (100%+)

I prefer Rustoleum gloss gray to seal all my paint jobs. It doesn't alter the colors much at all and it adds a nice protection barrier between your work and the elements.
Old 08-14-2013, 06:28 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks for the tips, guys. I need clear because I've smoke-tinted the windows and if I used anything but clear, I'd have to re-mask off the windows before sealing the paint.

I FINALLY found some Krylon Crystal Clear at the THIRD Walmart I tried, this immediately after trying a second Rona and getting more blank stares and nothing on the shelf with all the other Krylon products. How can frickin' clear-coat glossy acrylic be that bloody hard to find?? I can't believe it, going to 7 different big-box stores before finding it. And I'm not just talking about a sold-out item, as these stores didn't even have a spot for these paints! It's as if most stores--at least in the capital city of Alberta--all decided "No need to stock clear-coats here." Astounding.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:35 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

That's what I have been using for Acrylic paints. The Krylon Crystal Clear Acrylic. Holds up great although I will say it tends to hold dirt easier but you still get the inside pretty clean. either that or I did not seal with enough coats.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:05 AM
Tech Regular

Yeah...how many coats did you put down?

I really would've preferred the Rustoleum Crystal Clear Enamel, but that stuff is impossible to find here in Canada!
Old 08-17-2013, 12:08 AM
Tech Master

It's amazing to me it was a struggle to find it. I see it at every Home Depot and Lowes I come across. Do they have those type of home improvement stores around there?
Old 08-17-2013, 12:12 AM
Tech Master

...I didn't catch that. Yeah. So long as its an enamel any brand will work... Supposedly. I know a super good local painter that backs ALL his work in bed liner black. Even white jobs.
Old 08-17-2013, 06:24 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Sk3tch
It's amazing to me it was a struggle to find it. I see it at every Home Depot and Lowes I come across. Do they have those type of home improvement stores around there?
Well, there's American versions of those franchises, and Canadian versions. They don't sell the same products, unfortunately. The same goes for Walmart, which everybody on here says sells Rustoleum Crystal Clear Enamel. It simply does not exist here. I've driven all over hell's half acre the last week, been to 7 stores (Walmart, Canadian Tire, Rona, Home Depot) and none of them stock it. I haven't been to Lowe's though. We have one but it's a bit out of the way, but I've searched their Canadian website for the Rustoleum Crystal Clear, it does not exist.