Airbrushing problems

Old 07-31-2013, 02:25 PM
Tech Adept

Default Airbrushing problems

Hi guys after some help, fairly new to airbrushing and currently using the faskolour range.

Im having a few problems, I cant seem to get fine lines and struggling in general with the paint, ive tried thinning the paint with both fast thinner and a product they use for waterbased paints in body shops but still no look. As I thin it I seem to get just bubbles of water etc on the lexan. Ive tried lowering air pressure to 25 psi and still no look.

Another issue was after cutting my liquid mask and spraying then backing it, it seemed to seal the cut so when I peeled the mask it peeled the paint.

Also whats the trick to getting sharp edges with the liquid mask.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks
Old 07-31-2013, 03:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

lower your pressure also if you can control how far the trigger can go pack, lessen it, mask is to thick
Old 07-31-2013, 08:00 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

My advice is to go and buy some cheap picture frame. Take the glass out and start practicing on it until you feel comfortable to paint a body.
You can always wash the glass and keep practicing!
If your pulling away paint when peeling off the paint mask is probably because of too much paint.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I find that transparency paper is great for trying stuff out on,

Also, make sure you paint has fully cured, not just dry to the touch before moving in the get the best lines.

To get really fine lines you need a smaller tip. What kinda setup are you using?
Old 08-01-2013, 01:13 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Meradin View Post
I find that transparency paper is great for trying stuff out on,

Also, make sure you paint has fully cured, not just dry to the touch before moving in the get the best lines.

To get really fine lines you need a smaller tip. What kinda setup are you using?
.35 its a neo for iwata so budget but I thought I should stilk be able to get thinnish lines

Thanks
Old 08-01-2013, 05:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I have used that brush and it is capable of doing what you are looking for...but not with a water based paint. You will have to thin it out too much and it won't stick as you found. You can convert it to the .5 tip combo and see if that helps with WB paints.

For fine lines and drop shadows I have switched to RCS smoke from Jonmills. It is great stuff. Anything lacquer based will spray better.

I. The meantime, try spraying a little illustrators base down before doing the fine lines. It might give the thinned WB paint a bit more to bite into. It looks cloudy but will dry clear.

If you don't have it, auto air 4011 is my thinner of choice.
Old 08-01-2013, 06:36 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

How are you prepping the body for paint? If you having trouble with paint adhesion try scuffing the body with a Scotch Brite pad. That will give something for the paint to hold onto. Another question is how much are you reducing the water base paint? It only takes a few drops of reducer to thin it out. As far as getting fine lines with the liquid mask do light coats of paint. Don't try to cover it all at once. Build the paint layers up and as stated before let the paint dry before laying down the next coat. I use the .35 needle to do the detail work on my stuff and have another Iwata with the .5 needle conversion to the big stuff.
Old 08-02-2013, 11:56 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Mike E. View Post
How are you prepping the body for paint? If you having trouble with paint adhesion try scuffing the body with a Scotch Brite pad. That will give something for the paint to hold onto. Another question is how much are you reducing the water base paint? It only takes a few drops of reducer to thin it out. As far as getting fine lines with the liquid mask do light coats of paint. Don't try to cover it all at once. Build the paint layers up and as stated before let the paint dry before laying down the next coat. I use the .35 needle to do the detail work on my stuff and have another Iwata with the .5 needle conversion to the big stuff.
I just wash with warm soapy water, I only reduce with a few drops yet it still looks like its just spraying water no paint.

Even when doing large areas with the wb paint it seems to dry distorted as though its not covered properly,

Thanks again
Old 08-02-2013, 12:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 106 (100%+)

Sounds like you are spraying it on too heavy. When you do this the pigments migrate together and form blobs. You have to slowly build up WB paints. When you do a pass the paint almost needs to dry before it hits the lexan at least for the first few coats. Spraying to heavy is also the reason for the paint lifting with the mask. Lighter coats will fix this as well.