Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Painting, Designs, Graphics and Photography
Wanna know what really grinds my gears? >

Wanna know what really grinds my gears?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wanna know what really grinds my gears?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 05:38 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

OK, I just looked at the ad and I think you are misinterpreting what he means. His English is terrible so that's easy to do. He is not saying that everyone else copied him, he is saying that if someone else copies his design, it may look pretty much the same but it's not. Every artist has a certain "feel" (his word) to their work that is different. Just like he can copy someone else's design but it will have a different "feel". I believe that is a better "translation".
Old 07-11-2013, 08:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Wingracer...I don't feel offended at all by anything you said. It's damn hard to be original especially when I like the "trendy" things so much. Give me flames and tribals any day...with a dash of spatter and microhole shading for flavor, lol.

OK, I just looked at the ad and I think you are misinterpreting what he means. His English is terrible so that's easy to do. He is not saying that everyone else copied him, he is saying that if someone else copies his design, it may look pretty much the same but it's not. Every artist has a certain "feel" (his word) to their work that is different. Just like he can copy someone else's design but it will have a different "feel". I believe that is a better "translation".
I guess that guy used that as a selling point on eBay...
Old 07-18-2013, 03:58 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wingracer
Back in my slot car days, I was paying some truly astronomical prices to a custom painter. You know what? It was worth every penny! The guy's work was truly one of a kind and you will not find anything at all like his work anywhere else. The quality and artistry was truly astounding. Unfortunately that guy isn't around anymore. Somewhere out there in the world he still has two Paris Lola bodies of mine I sent him in 1999 when I got into 1/8th RC.

Now a days, why would I pay one guy $80 for a generic flame job when another guy can do the exact same thing for $50?

Now please, don't all you painters out there get all upset over what I'm about to say. I have a tremendous amount of respect for what you all do. I'm an ok painter myself but not on your level. That being said, I have seen very little to differentiate one of you from the other. Every one of you guys are doing basically the same kind of things. Sure some are a bit better than others but in terms of the overall look, there is really no reason to pick one of you over the other except for price. In that situation, price wins.

So if you want to command higher prices, you really need to differentiate your work. Show the world why you should get paid double over the other guys. Make your work special, unique, appealing and of a quality no one else can touch. If you can do that, you will get paid. If not, have fun competing with the masses in a price war. The guy I mentioned earlier could do a butt simple two color scheme and make it beautiful and awe inspiring. The devil was in the details and can't be done with a vinyl cutter and stencils, he didn't even own either.
This really is the truth. Lowest price wins when quality aspects are equal.

My contribution to this conversation is, why even claim certain designs as one's own? Anybody can copy anything these days. And I've yet to meet any RC painters who take it seriously enough to do anything beyond simply saying "that's my design". If you really want it to be set in stone, then go to a patent/copyright office or something and just try to make it official. Like that will actually happen.

The internet makes it possible to find literally anything that's already been done before. The person/entity on eBay is just trying to appeal to the moronic demographic that doesn't know any better (not too far from the seller). Appreciative customers will see beyond that stupid gimmick and seek out the good painters (like you and me).
Old 07-18-2013, 07:01 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Just my thoughts here...I DO believe that everyone or most everyone has their own "style" that sets them apart from another painter. (I'm still trying to find mine. It hasn't been delivered yet...lol.) As one gets to know and see a painter's work one CAN start to see that painter's particular style. Just a few off the top of my head are Sk3tch-tribal, Kustom RC Graphics-style of flames..kinda hard to explain that one... Newera-multicolor swept back, looks fast sitting still, Bitty Designs-hard to misplace their work...lol, Mel-tibal flames and flame licks, etc. As has been said earlier you can only do flames, drips and such so many ways. If another painter's art is used for inspiration then give the guy his props....honorable mention so to speak
Old 07-18-2013, 07:13 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (95%+)

$40 for a paint scheme...hahahaha!
Old 07-18-2013, 07:40 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Mike E.
As has been said earlier you can only do flames, drips and such so many ways.
Then do something else.
Old 07-18-2013, 08:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 110 (100%+)

Keep in mind most of the time we are at the mercy of the customer and there ideas of what they want. This usually consists of flames,drips,tribal etc.. Not often am I allowed to do what ever I want on a customer body and there is never time to just paint one up for fun with 3 weeks of bodies always waiting to be painted.
Old 07-18-2013, 08:47 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by elex300
Keep in mind most of the time we are at the mercy of the customer and there ideas of what they want. This usually consists of flames,drips,tribal etc.. Not often am I allowed to do what ever I want on a customer body and there is never time to just paint one up for fun with 3 weeks of bodies always waiting to be painted.
I understand that but if you have so much work that you don't have time for trying different things and you are only charging $40, you need to raise your prices. Sure you might lose a little work but you make just as much money and have more spare time. If you have that much work and are charging more than that, you don't have the problem I was addressing and my comments do not apply to you.

If you find you are in need of more work and/or need to command higher prices but are constrained in your creativity by customer demands, give them more than they expect. They say they want a basic, three color flame job, fine give it to them. But exceed their expectations in the details. Small things like killer headlights, grill details, subtle shading, ghost images, pinstripes, etc can all be used to set your work apart from the rest. You'd be amazed how the tiniest of details can take a body from "just like the $40 guy" to "OMG".

Though I'd still like to see totally different stuff.
Old 07-18-2013, 08:48 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Well i think that pretty much elects wingracer to the one who gets to order one. Then he can show us the quality. Notice how it says not 100% the same. Pretty much means when he hacks it up but uses the same colors its on you not him. When he doesnt trim anything it falls under the not 100% the same. I bet he has the years of experience and his stuff looks just like the ones pictured. Why couldnt he use his bodies in pictures if they are his designs? Try it wingracer. See what u get.

Its also hard to compete with someone who lives in a country where the avg yearly income is $2800. If he sells 2 a week to some american idiot he is livin above avg. He probably stole the airbrush and compressor from the factory him and his kids work at. Who knows what kind of paint he is using.
Old 07-18-2013, 08:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (99%+)

Originally Posted by elex300
This is very true, its very seldom that I get the ok from the customer to do whatever I please. Usually its can you do this (insert web pic) or copy that (insert web pic). I usually will try and make some changes if possible but the customer asked me to copy what he likes and changing it alot will not please the customer in most cases. I allways make it a point to give credit when a scheme is "borrowed" and even if the style is similar enough; in fact I was called out recently on my thread on a scheme. But if the poster had looked back a couple of pages to the first time I used that scheme for my repeat customer I noted that the scheme was not mine and gave kudos to whomever the orginal painter was. But its important for anyone to understand that once you post it on the net its fair game, like it or not.
Old 07-18-2013, 08:58 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by KainK
Well i think that pretty much elects wingracer to the one who gets to order one. Then he can show us the quality. Notice how it says not 100% the same. Pretty much means when he hacks it up but uses the same colors its on you not him. When he doesnt trim anything it falls under the not 100% the same. I bet he has the years of experience and his stuff looks just like the ones pictured. Why couldnt he use his bodies in pictures if they are his designs? Try it wingracer. See what u get.

Its also hard to compete with someone who lives in a country where the avg yearly income is $2800. If he sells 2 a week to some american idiot he is livin above avg. He probably stole the airbrush and compressor from the factory him and his kids work at. Who knows what kind of paint he is using.
Huh, what are you talking about? I have never said anything about this ebay dude except to say that I think the op misunderstood what he was trying to say in his bad english.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:06 PM
Tech Lord

never mind