Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Painting, Designs, Graphics and Photography
Poll for you painters:  Radio painting pricing >

Poll for you painters: Radio painting pricing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Poll for you painters: Radio painting pricing

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 06:40 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Poll for you painters: Radio painting pricing

A buddy of mine and I have a disagreement over how much a project should cost. Basically, it is to paint a used M11X radio, minus the buttons, dial, and trigger, leaving them the original color.

How much would you charge and what kind of paint would you use?

TIA...
Old 03-26-2013, 06:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

Are you taking the radio apart for him or does he have to do it?
What is the paint design, simple or complex?
Old 03-26-2013, 07:01 AM
Tech Initiate

Painter to take radio apart. Simple paint, one color for the main body and a contrasting color for the part the wheel attaches to.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:20 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

wow - I personally wouldn't take that job. So many things that could go wrong especially if I'm the one who has to take the radio apart and put it back together. I'd give him a few references to some nice vendors that do wraps and call it good.

But if I were to do it I would charge 1 hour labor for assembly and disassembly

Cleaning and prep of the plastic parts. Prep would include an coat of adhesion promoter followed by a basic primer and some wet sanding.

Paint would be my normal water based Auto Air color - one color for main body and one color for wheel housing (lots of color options)

Top coat would be a polyurethane clear coat (automotive grade)

cost would be on the order of what I would ask for doing a SC body
Old 03-26-2013, 07:32 AM
Tech Initiate

rice_man: Thanks for your feedback. Yes, the M11X, along with its M8, M11, and M12 kin, is a bit more complex that most other radios, I guess due to the multi-plane design. But I think the design also opens it up to more creative options. Oh, and what would you ask to do an SC body?
Old 03-26-2013, 09:45 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

Originally Posted by GuidoRacer
rice_man: Thanks for your feedback. Yes, the M11X, along with its M8, M11, and M12 kin, is a bit more complex that most other radios, I guess due to the multi-plane design. But I think the design also opens it up to more creative options. Oh, and what would you ask to do an SC body?
I kept that in mind and also a single color approach when I came up with a quote. My pricing for SC trucks start at $80 and go up from there depending on complexity of the job. HERE is a link to some of my work so you have an idea of where I am compared to some other quotes.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (95%+)

I'd only do it if it were pulled apart already. And if it were, I would do it for $100-$150 depending on the design wanted on it.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:40 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Its a lot of work. Especially if you have to take it apart. Are there any pieces that need to be masked? Also the paint is going to be more expensive. It has to at least be a $100. Its gets frustrating when people underestimate what it takes to put out a nice paint job. A lot dont realize the prep that goes into it.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Originally Posted by KainK
Its a lot of work. Especially if you have to take it apart. Are there any pieces that need to be masked? Also the paint is going to be more expensive. It has to at least be a $100. Its gets frustrating when people underestimate what it takes to put out a nice paint job. A lot dont realize the prep that goes into it.
+1

At least $100, likely more.
Old 03-28-2013, 02:51 PM
Tech Initiate

Thanks for all the feedback, guys. The disassembly/reassembly is really the only pain, other than having to do a clear coat layer, and it's not all that bad; I'd say 45-60 minutes for an M8/M11/M11X/M12, 30 total for other radios.