Wiki Posts
Search

the wet look?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 05:04 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default the wet look?

How do i paint a body using pearl white, a spay bottle w/ water, a heat gun and sprint white? The body should look like a can that came out of a cooler of ice. I know these are the items used, just don't know the stepd or time between. Thanks, Nick
Old 02-26-2013, 05:25 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

what brand paint are you using? Ive heard only Spaz Sitx works with the water look. I know I watched a vid on youtube about it.

Last edited by Testmonkey; 02-28-2013 at 02:43 PM.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:51 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

you can do it with water based paint, I tried it on some test panels. I did not use the heat gun, I think it will blow the water around and mess up the effect.

You can only do one surface at a time. Spray some water on the surface you are going to do first, bigger drops look cooler when finished 1/4-1/2". Once you have the drops you want do not move the body, spray a light coat of pearl white over the drops, hold the air brush at the same angle, you want one side of the drops to have more paint then the other. Let the body sit untill the drops completely evaporated, repete on all the other sides of the body then back with plane white.

The effect works better if you use colors with more contrast then two shades of white, a light coat of reduced pearl blue over the drops backed with white would look good and realy show the effect.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:04 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Testmonkey
what brand maint are you using? Ive heard only Spaz Sitx works with the water look. I know I watched a vid on youtube about it.
Pactra
Old 02-28-2013, 06:16 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by 1967rs
you can do it with water based paint, I tried it on some test panels. I did not use the heat gun, I think it will blow the water around and mess up the effect.

You can only do one surface at a time. Spray some water on the surface you are going to do first, bigger drops look cooler when finished 1/4-1/2". Once you have the drops you want do not move the body, spray a light coat of pearl white over the drops, hold the air brush at the same angle, you want one side of the drops to have more paint then the other. Let the body sit untill the drops completely evaporated, repete on all the other sides of the body then back with plane white.

The effect works better if you use colors with more contrast then two shades of white, a light coat of reduced pearl blue over the drops backed with white would look good and realy show the effect.
Awesome! Thank you!
Old 02-28-2013, 09:31 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

I would really recommend doing it with a solvent based paint for the water drop part. You can get the pressure much lower and it will build on the bubble of water a lot better than a WB paint. The flatter you can get the airbrush across the body the better. You are only try to paint the sides of the water. Chrome and transparent dark works well for highlight and low light. It really gives a good 3d effect. Ill try to find some of the panels I tested this on and take some pictures.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:44 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by KainK
I would really recommend doing it with a solvent based paint for the water drop part. You can get the pressure much lower and it will build on the bubble of water a lot better than a WB paint. The flatter you can get the airbrush across the body the better. You are only try to paint the sides of the water. Chrome and transparent dark works well for highlight and low light. It really gives a good 3d effect. Ill try to find some of the panels I tested this on and take some pictures.
Yes, pictures please!