Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Beginner of AirBrush

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2005, 01:30 PM
Tech Adept

I too am thinking of buying an airbrush.

Up to this point, I basically had my heart set on paint cans. However, I could buy an airbrush and paint for a little more, but much cheaper in the long run. Also, I can do a ton more with an airbrush.

One question I have is... what airbrush? I am looking at Iwata and Paasche (sp?) lines of airbrushes. I would like to spend under $100 for a brush.

---What are the advantages and disadvantages of gravity versus siphon feed?

---What is essential on the airbrush side of the painting part to make everything work (excluding compressor). Hose? Different needles?

---Is the Paasche VL-set a good selection? I am looking at the wood set. What does this mean? I'm assuming it is in a nice wooden case?

Thanks all for the help!!
I know my question are broad, but you have to start somewheres..
Old 04-19-2005, 02:17 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default airbrushes...

Originally posted by bAsEmEnTLOSI

Up to this point, I basically had my heart set on paint cans. However, I could buy an airbrush and paint for a little more, but much cheaper in the long run. Also, I can do a ton more with an airbrush.

One question I have is... what airbrush? I am looking at Iwata and Paasche (sp?) lines of airbrushes. I would like to spend under $100 for a brush.

---What is essential on the airbrush side of the painting part to make everything work (excluding compressor). Hose? Different needles?

---Is the Paasche VL-set a good selection? I am looking at the wood set. What does this mean? I'm assuming it is in a nice wooden case?

Gravity feed allows the paint to flow through an airbrush with less resistance. This generally means pressure can be lower, because you aren't fighting gravity like a siphon feed to pull the paint up. This also makes cleanup faster and easier, as the cleaner can run right through it, and there is less of a path for the paint to collect.

Siphon feed allows for changes in paint easily with different cups. Gravity also holds less paint, so you can spray more with siphon feed before adding paint (not a huge deal).

As for supplies, get a kit that has more than one needle. Badger 150 has a good kit, so does the pasche. The hose often comes with them too. Just make sure the compressor fits the hose.

If you want to spend less than 100, check ebay for badger kits, and look into the pasche. Iwata is probably out of your budget, though the HP-CS is what alot of people suggest for serious work.

Kcd
Old 04-19-2005, 02:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Just to add to the type of brush, I got myself a Badger 150 a few days ago and I love it. It is my first airbrush but I have a H and a V series Paasche at my disposal as well. I honestley do prefer the feel of the Badger.

And the pic of the Combo kit, the brush looks like a Badger made one. It has alot of distinct features that my brush has. Not exactly the same but similar.
Old 04-19-2005, 03:22 PM
Tech Regular

KCDZIM is on the mark as usual.
since your looking at the passch vl woodset witch by the way comes with everything I belive. I'd get that for a first brush it will do just about anything you'd want to do with the tips and needls included in the set.
It will also teach you the importance of keeping your airbrush clean.
Cleaning the VL is a bit of a chore compared to the gravity feed models but it takes literaly a minute or two more.
there are many painters on this board who solely use the passche VL and turn out some spectacular paintjobs.
remember it's not the brush that makes the artist it's the artist that makes the artist. it all boils down to practice practice practice and still more practice.
for what you get in the set for the price it's your best bet for a first brush, if after you've used it for awhile and find that you truly enjoy airbrushing then you can step up your equipment and get something with more finnesse.
Old 04-19-2005, 04:43 PM
Tech Master

Default airbrush

im seliing an airbrush its aiwata eclipsehp-cs for $100 you pay the shipping and$110 shipped... the airbrush is never been used at all its till in the package

Last edited by dg8one; 07-10-2008 at 01:22 PM.
Old 04-22-2005, 04:40 PM
Tech Adept

So, would you all strongly recommend the VL set?

I'd like the wood kit just because its sweet, and sort of a special saving item. I would like to start out with a cheap airbrush. I airbrushed in school once, and it was insane fun.

Am I able to paint t-shirts or paper with this brush? You would obviously use different paint though..

Airbrushing has always been my wanted-hobby. I'm only 14, but I think that I actually have the patience.

Basically, it's all in the practice, patience, and masking (when doing an RC body).

PS: Would anyone recommend a cheap place to buy airbrushes? Tower? Stormer? AirbrushDepot?

Last edited by bAsEmEnTLOSI; 04-22-2005 at 04:48 PM.
Old 04-22-2005, 05:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

So, would you all strongly recommend the VL set?

I'd like the wood kit just because its sweet, and sort of a special saving item. I would like to start out with a cheap airbrush. I airbrushed in school once, and it was insane fun.

Am I able to paint t-shirts or paper with this brush? You would obviously use different paint though..

Airbrushing has always been my wanted-hobby. I'm only 14, but I think that I actually have the patience.

Basically, it's all in the practice, patience, and masking (when doing an RC body).

PS: Would anyone recommend a cheap place to buy airbrushes? Tower? Stormer? AirbrushDepot?
ebay, sometimes. A used airbrush can be cheap, if you're not set on that whole "new" thing. I got my hp-cs for 66 dollah that way.
Old 04-22-2005, 09:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I have the Badger 150 and you can get them new on ebay for $40 if you watch. I love this brush. Beats my Dad's VL hand's down.