Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Painting, Designs, Graphics and Photography
Dying wheels with rubber tires mounted >

Dying wheels with rubber tires mounted

Dying wheels with rubber tires mounted

Old 11-29-2012, 08:21 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default Dying wheels with rubber tires mounted

I know this has been discussed but specifically, what is the harm in dying premounted tires?

I want to dye the wheels of my TC and my newly acquired RC18. The tires are glued on. I could make some vinyl color disks but in the case of jaco tires and the buggy tires this isn't ideal. The jacos have holes in them and the buggy tires would show on the back side.

Will the dye, or heat from the water destroy the rubber and foam. I don't want to remove the tires...too much work. Yup, I am a bit lazy sometimes.

Couldn't I just seal the vent holes on the rims to prevent the water from getting in? I don't want green rubber though!
Old 11-29-2012, 08:39 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

We tried that with some short course tires last year and it didn't work out well. Not only did the foams get wet and colored even with the vent holes plugged (they lasted a couple of runs after then fell apart) but the rubber absorbed the die and even though they felt the same the tires didn't work as well. I did it after being told by a couple of other guys that it worked for them but I didn't seem to have their luck.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:15 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

I could be wrong but I believe that the boiling water used for dying the wheels would also unglue the tires from the wheel also. I know there's a few methods used for removing glued tires and I believe one of them is actually boiling water.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:57 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by mxnickj
I could be wrong but I believe that the boiling water used for dying the wheels would also unglue the tires from the wheel also. I know there's a few methods used for removing glued tires and I believe one of them is actually boiling water.
+1
Old 11-29-2012, 11:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Yeah, I have always baked them but for 30 minutes. I wasn't sure if a minute long dunk would harm them...or dye the rubber of the tire too!