Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Painting, Designs, Graphics and Photography
spazstix ultimate mirror chrome will not stick.. >

spazstix ultimate mirror chrome will not stick..

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

spazstix ultimate mirror chrome will not stick..

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 08:29 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default spazstix ultimate mirror chrome will not stick..

I have bought 2 cans of spaztix chrome spray can and both bodies have flaked, and pulled up completely in multiple places..

any advice on how to better prep bodies for this paint? pissed off about $25 worth of paint and 2 bodies that looked great until their first drive.

bodies were thoroughly cleaned with degreasing soap and rinsed, and rinsed and rinsed. been airbrushing for 5 years and never had paint fall off this badly.
Old 07-05-2012, 03:43 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

I may be wrong, but I think that's simply the cost of looking good. I have always had the exact problem you're experiencing with Spaz Stix chrome.

The chrome, to me, doesn't seem to be so much of a paint in the traditional sense- more like a powder, suspended in a liquid substrate that evaporates after application. There seems to be no binder in the chrome "paint". That means that it barely sticks to anything, and especially not to itself. I always have to be very careful whenever I'm removing masking material around surfaces where chrome has been sprayed and then covered with more than a few layers of WB paint, because the WB paint will form a membrane atop the chrome, and since the chrome doesn't stick to itself, but the WB paint does, then it becomes very easy to lift the WB paint membrane off.

Unless someone else more qualified to answer than me has an amazing solution, all I can say is that that's just the nature of Spaz Stix chrome paint.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:15 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

...That's a great answer.
Old 07-06-2012, 01:19 AM
Aoh
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

i thought it was just me! good to know.
Old 07-09-2012, 02:47 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

bleh... it just looks so good..

can you recommend a super reflective chrome-ish silver that I could actually use for larger areas?
Old 07-09-2012, 05:32 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

The only thing that I've found that really helps with the adhesion is the Spaz Surface Preprep. Its an adhesion promoter. But DON'T GET THE STUFF IN THE SPRAY CAN!!! It has different solvents in it or something. Besides the 2 oz. bottle smells better...lol. Anyway, shoot a couple of coats of the preprep then shoot the chrome. Build it up lightly at least 3 coats then let it vape. The longer the better. If you can wait overnight. Then back LIGHTLY with black WB paint. It seems with the Spaz that If you back it immediately with the WB paint all it does is promote peeling. Most importantly shoot the chrome last to avoid any peeling by removing masking material.

You could solve all your chrome problems by buying yourself some RCS Chrome from cmdezigns.com. I haven't had any problems with Jon's chrome peeling or flaking at all.