Wiki Posts
Search

Backing for nitro cars

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 04:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Backing for nitro cars

I used Rustoleum clear enamel as a backing on my nitro buggy but the fuel just ate through the backing. I do not really like to use shoe goo but this stuff works good. Is there something that is better than the enamel that I can spary on? I wish you can spary that shoe goo on.
Old 07-04-2012, 06:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

I use Createx gloss or matte top coat. Cheap and can be purchased in 32oz bottle. Works excellent....been using it for 12 years and never had a problem. The nice thing about the Createx is that it is very flexible when it dries and does not react with lacquer based paint. I've experimented with many different things and always go back to createx.

When you get done with a qualifier or main, spray the inside with simple green and wipe or hose off!
Old 07-04-2012, 10:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Originally Posted by omarwashington
I used Rustoleum clear enamel as a backing on my nitro buggy but the fuel just ate through the backing. I do not really like to use shoe goo but this stuff works good. Is there something that is better than the enamel that I can spary on? I wish you can spary that shoe goo on.
I have used a coat Rustoleum white then a coat of clear on several nitro bodies and have never had a problem. There is one at the track that I painted that is over a year old and fuel has not affected it at all.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I have yet to have a customer complain about my final coats on nitros EXCEPT when I used the Rutoleum Crystal clear. I cleared it with topcoat/faskoat on that same customer's cars and he loves it. From how it cleans to the durability.

Whenever I can for nitros I use Rustoleum gloss enamels though. ...Except his, lol. I'm sure though...no matter what you use, the nitro will eat away anything so long as it's exposed long enough.