i need help painting!

Old 02-02-2005, 05:17 AM
Tech Initiate

Default i need help painting!

Can someone show me how to paint.

i want car car to have two colours from one view u can see on color and the otehr view is another colour. i also want to have flames in it too.

can someone show me how to paint?

thankyou.
Old 02-02-2005, 10:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Sure!

I'll show you how to paint if you buy me a plane ticket to Australia! Actually it's kind of hard if your not near by. sorry!
Old 02-02-2005, 06:41 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Re: i need help painting!

Originally posted by PeR4MaNz
Can someone show me how to paint.

i want car car to have two colours from one view u can see on color and the otehr view is another colour. i also want to have flames in it too.

can someone show me how to paint?

thankyou.

There's the article that Haunted Myst wrote on painting, but I find that photos are sometimes more informative.... So, there's a site I know of....

Ron's Paint Tips

Try that... He's got some good tips on flames and the like. As for split colors, well, are you talking about color change paint, or a white side and a black side, for example? Color change is fairly self explanatory, just buy the paint (Spaz-stix is good) and follow the instructions. Otherwise, you're just talking masking, and that comes with designing the scheme. And that's what the examples you see on these forums are for.
Old 02-02-2005, 06:41 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: i need help painting!

accidentally posted it before I was done...

So yeah, hope that helps.

C
Old 02-03-2005, 03:22 AM
Tech Initiate

how do u paint the lights for the car?
Old 02-03-2005, 11:19 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by PeR4MaNz
how do u paint the lights for the car?
Do you have an airbrush?

if you have an airbrush, it takes practice and a variety of masking methods, a lot of patience, and practice.

You probaby can't get good results with rattle cans.

C
Old 02-20-2005, 07:45 AM
Tech Apprentice

Which kind of masking techniques do you use for the lights, I have tried a variety but seems to me that people must use some special mask, cause with masking tape it takes like forever and then I loose patience.
SO please be so kind to give me info about that...

Greetz
Old 02-20-2005, 07:52 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Nilezb
Which kind of masking techniques do you use for the lights, I have tried a variety but seems to me that people must use some special mask, cause with masking tape it takes like forever and then I loose patience.

Greetz

use bob dively liquid mask.excellent stuff
Old 02-20-2005, 08:17 AM
Tech Apprentice

If you want painted headlights that look good and you don't have patience, well...put the headlight stickers on. There is no quick and easy way to do this, even if you have pre-made headlight masks. More than anything you can buy you need some talent too. If you doubt your abilities than just practice and practice on something else before attempting your body. All the painters here have spent a lot of time honing their skills. If you want to learn, buy/read all the books, magazines, articles, videos, etc. that you can find. There are lots of good articles online. As far as I know, every HPI body comes with a step by step set of instructions with photos too.
Old 02-20-2005, 10:34 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default headlights

Originally posted by Nilezb

Greetz
My personal method for painting headlights is probably a little different than others. And my method usually changes a little each time as I get better... For example, the first picture was a few paintjobs ago, the second one is the last paint job I did. I've been experimenting with Aldus-esque lights, trying to figure out his methods, and once I've got that hammered out, I'm going to try to mix it up and create something that isn't quite as similar.

So, what I do is

1. liquid mask everything first, obviously.

2. draw the basic pattern I want for the light, but I don't try and get it dead on, because I don't want to have to hand cut circles...

3. cut only the outline of the headlight and outlines of the intercooler, along with the rest of the masking for the body.

4. When I start the body, I start with the lights and grill, because they take many steps and many layers. That first pic has a TON of excess paint in front because I did lights last.

5. So then, on to the lights. peel off the masked space for all the lights. Then put in circular templates. To do this, get a circle cutter, a new blade, and some blank vinyl mask (the kind parma or xxxmain sells). Make a full circle for each bulb, and then I half cut in the other circles inlayed in that bulb. That way the masking doesn't fall apart. If the full circle is visible, it gets a bit more tricky because you have to complete the circle cut on the vinyl, but if you're careful you can transfer it, or you can leave it partially complete and finish the cut on the vinyl once it's on the body.

I paint outside to inside generally. Black backing white doesn't matter so much here (in fact, for lens flares, you have to do it). give it the drop shadows, then back with silver. Then peel off the first half circle, then another, then another....

Leave any thin pinstripes for last! The vinyl will catch and peel a thin line of paint right off.

It takes a long time, but it can be worth it. And I would imagine it's a similar process for simpler lights. Making circles on vinyl is much easier than trying to hand cut that liquid mask.

To do grills, peel off the full space for the grill, and then use masking tape for each individual line across. That keeps it straight, and you can line the same part across the full face of the body.

Anything unclear, just ask...

C
Old 02-20-2005, 11:06 AM
Tech Apprentice

thx for your comments folks,

I was already thinking patience was the only way... now that I have it confirmed I can start of with my 2 body's

I'll post pics as they are ready, or maybe in the process

greetz