Wiki Posts
Search

technical question

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 09:56 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default technical question

Hi. last night was finishing my body and before last white coat was doing black shadows. i dont know how but i think that powder from black paint in few places left on surface and when i sprayed last white coat that powder mixed with white finishing coat. it looks terrible now. so here is my question do you guys clean body between coats somehow? Maybe just puff the air from airbrush so solve that problem?
There is 2 pics with protective film.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:58 PM
Tech Fanatic

Sorry but made 2 theeads by mistake.
Attached Thumbnails technical question-20120309_055317.jpg   technical question-20120309_055248.jpg  
Old 03-08-2012, 10:08 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Hey mate, youre getting what these guys call ghost farts. Its some sort of static reaction. Jon at RCS GraphicWorx sells a good product that you spray on before doing your shading.
Before i started using that i used to wait till the shading was dry then wipe off the ghost farts carefully with tissue paper and that worked better than nothing.
Heres Jons website:http://www.rcsgraphicworx.com/mainpage.htm
Old 03-08-2012, 10:24 PM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks a million. i posted thread few weeks ago with similiar thing but didnt realise now is tje same thing.... thought when the body is scuffed that wony exist egain. and checked one side of the body and was clear... so thats happened on second side of the body and on the roof. eh... will try to scuff it little and do kind of texture now....
Old 03-09-2012, 05:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Static is the cause of the overspray clinging. Winter time is when you see them the most since the humidity is low.

Couple things I use to combat them is an anti static spray, anti static dryer sheets. If I still get them or forget to use the anti static stuff....I use a paper towel and wipe them off. Just have to be careful that you don't accidentally wipe any shadows or fades away. In tighter areas, q-tips work too.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Question on the dryer sheets- do you just wipe the outside surface to remove the static or do you need to do the inside too? I would think it would harm the paint adhesion?
Old 03-09-2012, 07:48 PM
Tech Master

Outside
Old 03-10-2012, 12:14 AM
Tech Fanatic

Yep, those last shadows was done on increased air pressure. At the moment ordered Isoproply Alcohol so we'll see how it works. In few places would be very hard to wipe it away.
Old 03-10-2012, 12:20 AM
Tech Master

Use a dry paper towel, it will come off. Its overspray. If you try to use alcohol to remove it, results will not be pleasurable.
Old 03-10-2012, 12:23 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by ridgewaybodies
Use a dry paper towel, it will come off. Its overspray. If you try to use alcohol to remove it, results will not be pleasurable.
No no, will spray alcohol before paint any shadows. Just after take off mask. Found that alcohol works similar to rcs fluid.

http://forums.cfxpaintworks.com/view...php?f=44&t=266

But thanks ridgewaybodies if that still wont work will do it your way. Have to kill it
Old 03-10-2012, 07:42 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

all of the aforementioned tips work well, but ive found nothing to be as effective as laying down a coat of tranparent base before doing any shading or shadowing.

Simply prepping or cleaning the surface merely "delays" the eventual buildup of static which will result in ghost farts regardless, after a thin coat of transparent base, this is no longer a concern.

Think about it, you can discharge the surface all you want, but the second you start shading you are building static back up, and sending out another formal invitation for ghost farts!
Old 03-10-2012, 08:33 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by ChEmDoCtOr
all of the aforementioned tips work well, but ive found nothing to be as effective as laying down a coat of tranparent base before doing any shading or shadowing.

Simply prepping or cleaning the surface merely "delays" the eventual buildup of static which will result in ghost farts regardless, after a thin coat of transparent base, this is no longer a concern.

Think about it, you can discharge the surface all you want, but the second you start shading you are building static back up, and sending out another formal invitation for ghost farts!
that sound interesting to me, but it wont be too thick? i mean would be the next coat same 'visible' then without transparent base? what base would you use for that?