R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Painting, Designs, Graphics and Photography (https://www.rctech.net/forum/painting-designs-graphics-photography-59/)
-   -   Paint peeling off (https://www.rctech.net/forum/painting-designs-graphics-photography/598054-paint-peeling-off.html)

Redbeard 02-11-2012 07:19 PM

Paint peeling off

Despite scuffing the body with a scotchbright pad and cleaning, soap and water I find that, painting with Pactra lexan paint in light coats, hitting it the recently painted area with a hairdryer...I find the paint chipping of multiple bodies I've painted. This is a new experience, having done many before this issue came up.

Is there an issue particular to Pactra? Is there a primer or accelerator that would help?

RahjahDat 02-11-2012 10:21 PM

Yes there is

if pactra is your paint choice buddy the go order some adhesion promoter to help out the curing process without your paint peeling off. even though the paint may seem dry from the outside when blowing semi-hot air at it, sometimes the initial spray is still wet and cool and then the hot air blows over the topcoat and i am assuming some moisture is trapped in between layers. (also assuming that the room temp is optimum and not out in the cold winter shed) haha.

Mike E. 02-14-2012 01:20 AM

What are you using to thin the paint with? I would hope that you're thinning it because if you weren't then you'd be having spider webs all over the place. I would definitely invest in some adhesion promoter like Spaz Stix preprep. I don't use it unless I'm using chrome or on unscuffed surfaces. That stuff works wonders though. I also use a little space heater to cure the paints between coats. Get them all warm and fuzzy for about 5-10 minutes. It works wonders. It surely sounds like it's just not cured enough. I assume its peeling when you remove the masking next to it?

U1timate PigDog 02-14-2012 01:39 AM

I'm more curious to what your doing after you finish painting the body, how long are you leaving the body to cure before backing it and what are you backing it with?

Redbeard 02-14-2012 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by U1timate PigDog (Post 10325452)
I'm more curious to what your doing after you finish painting the body, how long are you leaving the body to cure before backing it and what are you backing it with?

I'm using pactra rattle cans - not $ for airbrush unless somebody has a line on a good used one... anyway I after prepping I mask and paint. I lay down a light layer, blow dry and let sit in front of a space heater and repeat. And where possible I let a day or two go by before I move to the next color/section in order to let it good and dry. Normally no section gets more than 3 or 4 coats of paint. The peeling doesn't usually show up when I remove the mask/tape, it tends to show if you flex the body much...ie run it at the track.