Wiki Posts
Search

Share Your Work Flow

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 10:10 AM
Tech Apprentice

Arrow Share Your Work Flow

Hey guys,

For all the painters here that make a full time job out of painting; I was curious as to how you guys turn out so many bodies in one day? Say you have a nice stock of bodies waiting to be painted, how would you go about the work flow process to complete as many bodies as you can in one day? As for the ones that you dont complete that same day what stage are they left at; fully masked and cut? Anyone with ideas or info please chime in...I'd like to hear all opinions! Thanks
Old 02-03-2012, 10:51 AM
Tech Adept

I'm no full time painter however, I'd imagine they paint bodies in batches (say 5 per batch)
Prep/design and mask all bodies in batch
Leave to dry whilst painting previously prepared batch.

The painter would probably move in between bodies depending on the colour in the brush at that time, until all colours have been painted on all bodies in the batch.

then they would be left overnight to cure then either backed or shipped depending on whether backing is required.

next day prep new bodies and mask then paint the previously masked bodies from yesterday.

Now Ive probably missed alot of the details out and they probably paint more than I have suggested, however best of luck.

Last edited by U1timate PigDog; 02-03-2012 at 03:41 PM. Reason: edited
Old 02-03-2012, 11:07 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by U1timate PigDog
I'm no full time painter however, I'd imagine they paint bodies in batches (say 5 per batch)
Prep/design and mask all bodies in batch
Leave to dry whilst painting previously prepared batch.

The painter would probably move in between bodies depending on the colour in the brush at that time, until all colours have been painted on all bodies in the batch.

then they would be left overnight to cure then either backed or shipped depending on whether backing is required.

next day prep new bodies and mask then paint the previously masked bodies from yesterday.

Now Ive probably missed alot of the details out and they probably paint more than I have suggested but what I suggest to you and dont take this wrong but I wouldn't imagine its easy business to be full time painter (painting rc stuff)

The amount of work involved to do this would be tremendous and the pay just isnt that good to make it a full time venture for most people. If your considering starting up then I would start by posting your work on here, get a good rep for your work, get some good regular customers and as the work builds up then think of how you can expand.

Anyone who has to ask this question isn't ready to paint full time in my opinion and it is just my opinion, please feel free to correct me if i'm wrong
Actually bud I'm already a part time painter and know enough to complete three or four bodies in one day... I was just looking for other opinions and ideas to improve my productivity but thanks for the smart remark
Old 02-03-2012, 11:26 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I prep and mask Monday's, cut designs tues and wed, paint thurs and fri.

If you can pump out 4 bodies a day, I think we should be asking you for tips.
Old 02-03-2012, 11:44 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

All the bodies I painted were a side job. Design would have already been discussed with the customer, if there was any creativity on my part I'd sketch it out and then mask off the body. I had two brush's that I'd use. One for fine work and the other for larger amounts. Paint and then....send it off.
Old 02-03-2012, 11:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Its all relative. I haven't seen what dirt scooter shoots.

4 bodies a day-what do they look like? How long does it take start to finish for a simple three color w/some mistakes? Versus something with 6+ colors and drop shadows, shading, details, etc with very few if any mistakes. There is a LOT or variation of how much work can be put into a shell.

I don't paint full time, I used to paint quite a bit but even then I wouldn't call it part time. Things that I know of that you can do to make time-

You'll need at least three brushes w/a manifold, an organized, well lit work area, a big air supply, a quality heat gun, and an automotive touch up gun to cover large areas/lay down LMF. But the biggest thing is planning how you shoot.

Biggest problem is so few people are will to pay for what a quality paint job is worth, bartering for parts to sponsered guys was always the best deal I got.
Old 02-03-2012, 12:21 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Oh geeezz I forgot the most time consuming part. Clean up! cleaning guns and making sure it's all ready to go the next time. That seemed to take forever.
Old 02-03-2012, 01:29 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by zeroack
Oh geeezz I forgot the most time consuming part. Clean up! cleaning guns and making sure it's all ready to go the next time. That seemed to take forever.
WOW! lots of replies thanks!

As for cleaning the gun I try to have all my bodies organized by common colors that way I can have all 3 or 4 ready to spray black for example then I dont have to clean the gun so often which does take alot of time. As for liquid mask I do spray with a HVLP gun and I have two racks both with fans(not heated) to dry the mask quicker. As for paint dry time, I have another rack with two heaters and can normally lay down thin coats every 5 mins.
Old 02-03-2012, 01:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I only know two people that do it full time. One at the local track and one on these forums.

I can only guess they never follow a set schedule.
Old 02-03-2012, 01:36 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by ChEmDoCtOr
I prep and mask Monday's, cut designs tues and wed, paint thurs and fri.

If you can pump out 4 bodies a day, I think we should be asking you for tips.
I wasnt trying to be cocky at all, I apologize if it came off that way. I have finished 4 bodies in one day before but for me 2 is about average, leaving me some time to play and normal work hours.
Old 02-03-2012, 02:31 PM
Tech Regular

Lol, I didn't take it that way. I only know one guy that paints full time, he's at my local track as well, he also happens to be Larry from KustomRCGraphics, dude is a beast, I've never seen anyone faster and put out that kind of quality work he is known for.
Old 02-03-2012, 03:26 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I'm strongly considering taking the dive into part-time painting. I have some ideas and concepts but I need to do a test run just to see how efficient my process could be with some experience. We'll see
Old 02-03-2012, 03:39 PM
Tech Adept

Actually bud I'm already a part time painter and know enough to complete three or four bodies in one day... I was just looking for other opinions and ideas to improve my productivity but thanks for the smart remark
I wasn't actually trying to be smart and didnt mean to offend you which is why I started with dont take this the wrong way, any how no probs and best of luck hope it goes well for ya.

edited original message aswell for ya

Last edited by U1timate PigDog; 02-03-2012 at 03:43 PM. Reason: added text
Old 02-03-2012, 04:05 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by dirt_scooter
I wasnt trying to be cocky at all, I apologize if it came off that way. I have finished 4 bodies in one day before but for me 2 is about average, leaving me some time to play and normal work hours.
Do you have a thread or pics of your work?
Old 02-04-2012, 11:23 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by ChEmDoCtOr
Do you have a thread or pics of your work?
I will post some pics today...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.