R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Painting, Designs, Graphics and Photography (https://www.rctech.net/forum/painting-designs-graphics-photography-59/)
-   -   Cricut cutter? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/painting-designs-graphics-photography/593026-cricut-cutter.html)

snake2k 01-29-2012 04:29 PM

Cricut cutter?

Hello,I've been painting bodies for sometime now and I want to take my work to a new level.I'm considering purchasing a vinyl cutter but know nothing about them.I searched through the forums looking for info and really don't see much about cricut cutters.My budget is tight right now and I really can't spend more than $200 and the cricut cutters are in my range.So my question is would any of the cricut cutters work for what we do?I really appreciate any input thanks.

HarryLeach 01-31-2012 08:09 AM

My wife has a cricut that I commandeer to cut vinyl from time to time. ;)

Unfortunately, the program that was available to slave the cutter by USB to a computer for use as a plotter is no longer available, so you would be stuck with whatever you can find on the cartridges.

The cutting mat can also make it difficult to get your cut vinyl sheet off in one piece.

In your case, keep saving for a dedicated plotter.

snake2k 01-31-2012 10:16 AM

Thanks for the info.Is there a machine you could recommend that would be in my price range?

DoubleDoor 01-31-2012 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by HarryLeach (Post 10255529)
My wife has a cricut that I commandeer to cut vinyl from time to time. ;)

Unfortunately, the program that was available to slave the cutter by USB to a computer for use as a plotter is no longer available, so you would be stuck with whatever you can find on the cartridges.

The cutting mat can also make it difficult to get your cut vinyl sheet off in one piece.

In your case, keep saving for a dedicated plotter.

I use the cricut with sure cuts a lot 2 program. works great. never had a problem with it. Can still find it online for $75. Find an older cricut on ebay or craigslist. Need any help u can pm me.

HarryLeach 01-31-2012 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by DoubleDoor (Post 10256545)
I use the cricut with sure cuts a lot 2 program. works great. never had a problem with it. Can still find it online for $75. Find an older cricut on ebay or craigslist. Need any help u can pm me.

There's no "legal" current copy of sure cuts a lot 2 that support cricut. We're using scal2 with the cricut without issues with the cricut.

Starting over, my wife suggests a Silhouette Cameo, which has native svg support, and can handle backed medium [vinyl] up to 12" x 10'. It'll run you about $300, but you can catch a deal if you're patient and look around.

If all you're going to cut is vinyl, some desktop plotters can be had in a similar price range, but may or may not include software.

My wife is big time into scrapbooking, so she mostly cuts paper, all the vinyl she cuts is stuff I need quicker than my brother can provide with his 36" Roland.

Mike E. 01-31-2012 06:08 PM

My niece has a Cricut and I used it for the first time last week. I wasn't impressed. Even after setting the knife at its lowest it still didn't cut all the way through the vinyl. If I were going to get one I would definitely save up my money and get a dedicated plotter.

HarryLeach 01-31-2012 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by Mike E. (Post 10258239)
My niece has a Cricut and I used it for the first time last week. I wasn't impressed. Even after setting the knife at its lowest it still didn't cut all the way through the vinyl. If I were going to get one I would definitely save up my money and get a dedicated plotter.

Took quite a bit of experimenting to get good results on vinyl for sure. Right now we're using the deep cut blade, and have a blade dedicated to vinyl, with all the settings for that blade written down. The settings that come with the cricut vinyl are good starting points, but you do have to tune in from there.

Mike E. 01-31-2012 06:43 PM

Interesting. Thanks for that. I'll let her know. She uses it for vinyl also and I know has some issues with it as well.

HarryLeach 01-31-2012 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Mike E. (Post 10258462)
Interesting. Thanks for that. I'll let her know. She uses it for vinyl also and I know has some issues with it as well.

No problem, we found that the deep cut blade has a steeper angle [60 degree], so it changes direction without twisting and dragging as much as the standard blade [45 degree]. Also a blade that's been used on paper a lot is a bit too dull to pull cleanly through vinyl.

If you set the blade for maximum depth with that setup, you'll cut the vinyl, the vinyl backing, and score the mat pretty good.

Mike E. 01-31-2012 07:07 PM

I'll let her know that. Might be worth my while just to go buy the steeper blade.

She does cut a lot of paper with it doing all kinds of crafts. She's only had it since just before Christmas so she doesn't really know all the ins and outs yet. It was a paint in the butt to try and pick out the lettering on the larger size I used let alone the little ones. I gave up on the little ones....lol

Thanks for the assistance!!

snake2k 02-01-2012 08:50 AM

I appreciate everyone's input.Would a craft robo 2 work?I found refurbished for $179.

zeroack 02-01-2012 09:55 AM

I've been reading posts here(Paint Forum) about vinyl cutters and trying to decide on which way to go also. If I was going to be dedicated to cutting vinyl what disadvantage other then size would there be of getting THIS. I've read reviews and talked to owners and they like the MH series for basic cutting. I run Adobe CS5.5 at home so using it with Illustrator wouldn't be a issue. I thought about getting the Cricut before I read about the MH series cutters. If anyone can put some pluses and minus up I'd be grateful.

HarryLeach 02-01-2012 10:07 AM

snake2k, sorry I don't have any experience with the Craft Robo, or what software it's compatible with.

Regarding the USCutter MH Series:
The biggest thing when you get started in vinyl is the startup cost.

Already having CS5.5 and illustrator is a good start, but I've found it's usually best to get cutting software with the cutter so you're fairly assured compatibility, so there's another $60-235 depending on what you choose. Good vinyl isn't the cheapest stuff, and transfer tape is a separate purchase.

So the $179 might get you the machine, but not everything you need to get started.

A nice thing about the USCutter models is the ability to use standard Roland blades, but I'm not sure about other replacement parts and service.

My brother does a lot of vinyl work here in the local racing community, and he dropped $3500 on his setup [36" Roland], and that only got him started with 4 colors of vinyl. It can be done cheaper, but it's kind of like the first RC kit you ever bought [if you've ever bought one], when you realized you had another $300-400 more to spend on electronics before your new car was ready to drive.

snake2k 02-01-2012 08:29 PM

It seems there's a lot more to vinyl cutters than I thought.Looks like I need to do some more reading before I make a decision.Thanks everyone for your help.

Meradin 02-02-2012 11:37 AM

I use a cricut and I really like it. My wife likes it for scapping and I can use it for my stuff.

My only complaint is the fine detail. When you try to cut things really small the blade drags/tears the vinyl making a mess of the fine detail work.

I am not sure if all plotters have this trouble or not. I am going to try the deep cutting blade out and see if i can get better results.