• 2 Post By roadrashracing2
  • 1 Post By BigC2007

Body Brittle after paint

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 11:45 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default Body Brittle after paint

Hey guys a friend said I could of used the wrong pant but I believe I used a paint for lexan bodies. Either way have anyone seen this before were your body becomes so brittle it starts to even flake off just by touching it ? And can the wrong paint really do this ?

Old 11-13-2017, 12:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BigC2007
Hey guys a friend said I could of used the wrong pant but I believe I used a paint for lexan bodies. Either way have anyone seen this before were your body becomes so brittle it starts to even flake off just by touching it ? And can the wrong paint really do this ?

I have seen paint flake off a body before due to using the wrong paint like Tamiya TS instead of PS, but I've never seen lexan actually flake off like that just from bad paint.
Old 11-13-2017, 01:06 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by EbbTide
I have seen paint flake off a body before due to using the wrong paint like Tamiya TS instead of PS, but I've never seen lexan actually flake off like that just from bad paint.
Yes I remember a long time ago I used the wrong pant and tap the walls and my car looked like it blew up !! paint fakes every, but it was all paint. I dont know if the paint I used cause the lexan to become so brittle.

But that what I was told that could be the reason, I thought I would post here and let some of you guys that know about paint share some light on this.
Old 11-13-2017, 01:41 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

What did you clean the body with before painting? I had a body disintegrate after using easy off oven cleaner on it. I was trying to repaint the body.
Old 11-13-2017, 01:54 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by faqcya
What did you clean the body with before painting? I had a body disintegrate after using easy off oven cleaner on it. I was trying to repaint the body.
I think isopropyl alcohol, I forgot just to use a little bit of dish washing liquid.
Old 11-13-2017, 02:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Are you 100% sure the body was actually lexan?? I have seen this before on non-lexan bodies. Using an extra heavy coat of paint can cause this problem. As l always say....Bodies are a disposal part of racing.
Old 11-13-2017, 02:37 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by mooby64
Are you 100% sure the body was actually lexan?? I have seen this before on non-lexan bodies. Using an extra heavy coat of paint can cause this problem. As l always say....Bodies are a disposal part of racing.
I would have to check on that, this was the 1st time bought and used this body, and true bodies are disposal part of racing but dang this started cracking just by looking at it.
Old 11-23-2017, 07:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

I used automotive paint once with a hot reducer (mixed and put into a rattle can) and it did this. My TC side swiped a pipe and the whole side of the body fell off.
Old 11-24-2017, 07:13 AM
Super Moderator

Just need a bigger sticker to cover it.
BigC2007 and broitsseth like this.
Old 11-24-2017, 08:50 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

I had this only happen when airbrushing, and i had too much thinner, it attacked the body. As for prep i hand wash with got water and dish soap, rinse and let it airdry, while absorbing some water drops with a lint free cloth.

I do know that some other body manufacturers, SG, Delta Plastik, and Robbe had some bodies that seemed to be made of a harder lexan and weremprone to breaking.

I now only use Tamiya Polycarbonate paint only, and have had no issues.
Old 11-24-2017, 11:23 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by 1/8 IC Fan
I had this only happen when airbrushing, and i had too much thinner, it attacked the body. As for prep i hand wash with got water and dish soap, rinse and let it airdry, while absorbing some water drops with a lint free cloth.

I do know that some other body manufacturers, SG, Delta Plastik, and Robbe had some bodies that seemed to be made of a harder lexan and weremprone to breaking.

I now only use Tamiya Polycarbonate paint only, and have had no issues.
Thanks fan for the info
1/8 IC Fan likes this.