Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Painting, Designs, Graphics and Photography
Airbrush for RC and plastic models >

Airbrush for RC and plastic models

Airbrush for RC and plastic models

Old 12-21-2011, 06:32 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default Airbrush for RC and plastic models

Hey,

Is there any airbrush that would be good for both RC and plastic models painting?
Old 12-21-2011, 07:23 AM
Tech Adept

In a word yes! airbrushes can deliver hairline thin lines but.......its how good you are with the airbrush that counts, it takes a lot of hard practice to get really good with an airbrush so practice is a must.

The airbrush you would need would depend on the size of the figures/models etc you are painting but iwata do a range of high quality airbrushes that could be used and vary in price. I would check out the iwata website for detailed info on each airbrush.

what sort of models would you be painting?
Old 12-21-2011, 07:31 AM
Tech Regular

As far as RC I would be painting 1/10 scale VTA cars, minis and such..nothing too complicated.

AS far as plastic goes, usually 1/72 airplanes, 1/24 cars etc...also nothing too advanced.

What I'm looking for is an universal paintbrush that I could use for both types of painting.

I already own the most basic one, single stage paintbrush that could be used for bigger paintjobs (possibly RC...)
Old 12-21-2011, 07:41 AM
Tech Regular

Pretty much my question is if the same airbrush can be used for both or are they specific airbrushes for RC type of painting....
Old 12-21-2011, 08:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

no airbrush is specifically designed for one thing or another- they're simply mechanical devices that control fluid movement. You can use them for paint, nail polish, food coloring, chocolate, milk, whatever you want.

Check out the Neo. It has a .35 needle so it will do tiny lines for RC or models.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:16 AM
Tech Adept

I agree with r/c lidz, they can be used for any painting you want near enough (some brushes a little more suited than others but....)

As for the neo I have read a few posts about people saying there not great and not actually made by Iwata (not sure how true any of this is) but personally I'd go for a revolution (gravity feed) at around the same price just to be on the safe side.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:19 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

The much overlooked Paasche airbrushes have a single action series (about $60 street price) that lets you change the needle/tip size for about $10. They have long been staples of RC body painting as well as all sorts of static models.
Old 12-21-2011, 01:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

really? I got a Neo from Santa. I already have 3 revolutions and a HP-B. I just wanted to try it though. We'll see...
Old 12-21-2011, 02:58 PM
Tech Regular

Please let me know how you like that Neo airbrush, I read some reviews today and looks like there are some not too happy campers with Neo airbrushes.