How To: Design a scheme on paper?

Old 12-19-2004, 01:30 PM
Tech Adept

Post How To: Design a scheme on paper?

I will be painting a XXX-T body soon, and I am aware that you write on the outside with permanent marker your paint scheme, but I would like an exact idea of what I am laying down on the body before I draw it on there.. I wanna make a few schemes and compare them on paper.

Even though you can "erase" the marker, I was wondering about this. I had Photoshop 7.0, but lost it when I reverted my computer system. Is there any blank XXX-T bodies out there that I can color in with Paint? Thanks...

PS: Any other ideas on how to get an exact idea before I lay it down on the body would be appreciated.
Old 12-20-2004, 10:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Here's a blank. Hope it helps!
Attached Thumbnails How To: Design a scheme on paper?-blank-truck.jpg  
Old 12-21-2004, 02:16 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default personally....

I'm a big fan of the learn by example method, so if there's a design I like, or what to try, or just want to see if I can pull it off, I'll try to emulate it to the best of my abilities, adding or subtracting detail based on what I want. So, after finding something to try, I print out a picture and then draw on the body until I'm pleased with the result. Which takes a lot of rubbing alcohol sometimes.

my current body borrows a design from a yokomo ad, which some massaging of color, proportion and style. Once I have something I like I start to change it and see what I can do different with it.

Another way to go is to get a mask kit, and then add to the masking in a similar theme, adding to the design.

Either way, it takes a bit of experimentation before you have something really original and good.

-Cassidy
Old 12-21-2004, 05:02 PM
Tech Adept

Thats exactly what I needed, a blank truck. I could do it if I still had Photoshop .

I plan to design my paint idea on paper, and then tranfer it over to my truck "eyeballing" it. In reality all I want is a rough idea of what it will look like, because sometimes what you see in your head blows when you actually do it... like I get pictures of vacation areas that my family goes to... and then it looks normally 10x worse....

Thx again....

PS: If you have any images that you have done in Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro of custom cars, let's see em!

Last edited by bAsEmEnTLOSI; 12-22-2004 at 04:32 AM.
Old 01-04-2005, 07:24 PM
Tech Adept

I have a few of those blank trucks printed out, and I've been using my good ol' markers maaaaan! Here is my latest and what I think to be my best design so far.

I also have had an idea that I will make a jagged "thing" coming up from the bottom, but I have yet to lay it on paper and color it. If I were to use the scheme below, I am going to put a big Team Losi logo on the roof sideways, going evenly between the jagged lines.

PS: Obviously, this is a rough idea. It'd be done in more detail of course.. any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 01-06-2005, 11:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

What is the advantage of printing the design first? Is there a way to transfer the printed design to the body other than just "eyeballing" it?

Assuming the body you are painting does NOT have overspray film on it, how hard is it to get sharpie marks off of the outside of the body? I saw rubbing alcohol mentioned - is that the trick?
Old 01-06-2005, 01:00 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default questions

Originally posted by rctoyguy
What is the advantage of printing the design first? Is there a way to transfer the printed design to the body other than just "eyeballing" it?

Assuming the body you are painting does NOT have overspray film on it, how hard is it to get sharpie marks off of the outside of the body? I saw rubbing alcohol mentioned - is that the trick?
If you don't have overspray film, make sure your sharpie is the larger tip. The fine points scratch the body after you remove the ink.

As for rubbing alcohol, yes, that's key. Lifts it off pretty good as long as you use enough of it.

There are a couple of advantages to printing the design. If you can print it to scale you can tape it to the inside of the body and trace it. Doing it that way will help keep each side identical. You can also potentially print on vinyl and then cut it yourself.

I generally eyeball it though, because I don't feel like spending more time in front of the computer using photoshop more than I already do. Designing straight onto the body allows you to change a design to fit the body easier, but it also can make it harder to keep proportions right.
Old 01-06-2005, 01:41 PM
Tech Adept

Basically, it's just an idea of what I want the body to look like. On the body itself, you would make some changes. Alot of times what you think the body will look like does not turn out the way you think it will.. in other words the body sucks, so it's good to see what it will look like prior to painting.
Old 01-06-2005, 04:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default your pic

Originally posted by bAsEmEnTLOSI
I have a few of those blank trucks printed out, and I've been using my good ol' markers maaaaan! Here is my latest and what I think to be my best design so far.

I also have had an idea that I will make a jagged "thing" coming up from the bottom, but I have yet to lay it on paper and color it. If I were to use the scheme below, I am going to put a big Team Losi logo on the roof sideways, going evenly between the jagged lines.

PS: Obviously, this is a rough idea. It'd be done in more detail of course.. any thoughts would be appreciated.
your image is a broken link. not sure why.
Old 01-11-2005, 02:56 PM
RCTech Member #2

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Re: questions

Originally posted by Kcdzim
I generally eyeball it though, because I don't feel like spending more time in front of the computer using photoshop more than I already do. Designing straight onto the body allows you to change a design to fit the body easier, but it also can make it harder to keep proportions right.
...heh...

In the past, during late night paint & doodle sessions, after having trouble making myself happy with eyeballing a design to the other side, I've actually taken a body, held it on top of a copy machine, and then reversed it, taped it to the inside of the body, and traced it onto the lexan.
Old 01-11-2005, 07:04 PM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: questions

Originally posted by TSR6
...heh...

In the past, during late night paint & doodle sessions, after having trouble making myself happy with eyeballing a design to the other side, I've actually taken a body, held it on top of a copy machine, and then reversed it, taped it to the inside of the body, and traced it onto the lexan.

hahaha
Old 01-11-2005, 07:32 PM
RCTech Member #2

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Re: Re: Re: questions

Originally posted by ntc3freak
hahaha
Serious...

I have a perfectionist side that really comes out every once in a while.
Old 01-13-2005, 06:13 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

hey badsign you got any blank 1/8 scale bodies by chance?
Old 01-13-2005, 06:44 PM
Tech Apprentice

or maybe even a tc body blank?