Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Painting, Designs, Graphics and Photography
Vinyl masks...actually a bunch of rookie questions >

Vinyl masks...actually a bunch of rookie questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Vinyl masks...actually a bunch of rookie questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 07:27 AM
Tech Adept

Default Vinyl masks...actually a bunch of rookie questions

New to this not exactly happy with the paint jobs I have so far. My painting skills are coming along, but not my design or masking. Can anyone help?

First of all I am not an artist. This limits my abilities on the "design" I am capable of making along with the vision to make them look cool with depth and etc. I have drawn designs on the exteriors and then did the liquid mask thing. I am not very good with the knife staying true to the lines and also feel like I am overs-coring into the bodies(Is there a proper technique for this?)This combined with the crappy designs in the 1st place leaves me with stuff that looks NOTHING like I see on here....My question here is what other options do I have. Paint masks? Can I buy them pre-done? What is involved in doing it myself? Are plotters expensive? Can I find someone local to do this for me. What do I need to ask them about if they are just sign people? Anything else I should know about this aspect of it?
Old 04-28-2011, 09:22 AM
Tech Adept

Anyone other than xxxmain.com?
Old 04-28-2011, 12:40 PM
Tech Addict

If your hand cutting a fresh blade per body is best. you dont have to push too hard to just cut tape. take it easy. Cutting on the bodies will definatly weaken them and cause a failure much sooner that using pre cut mask. Vinyl cutters are not too expensive but if your not vector graphics savy you might have a tough time creating the artwork. You might want to talk to the sticker making guys at your local mall and see if they would be willing to cut some for you. Remember you will prob have to provide the material for them as it is special material for paint masking... Not regular Vinyl. Also any logo's must be flipped because they are applied on the inside.
Old 04-28-2011, 05:10 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Rugspin
If your hand cutting a fresh blade per body is best. you dont have to push too hard to just cut tape. take it easy. Cutting on the bodies will definatly weaken them and cause a failure much sooner that using pre cut mask. Vinyl cutters are not too expensive but if your not vector graphics savy you might have a tough time creating the artwork. You might want to talk to the sticker making guys at your local mall and see if they would be willing to cut some for you. Remember you will prob have to provide the material for them as it is special material for paint masking... Not regular Vinyl. Also any logo's must be flipped because they are applied on the inside.
What material should I provide?
Old 04-28-2011, 05:45 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by shawn00sa
New to this not exactly happy with the paint jobs I have so far. My painting skills are coming along, but not my design or masking. Can anyone help?

First of all I am not an artist. This limits my abilities on the "design" I am capable of making along with the vision to make them look cool with depth and etc. I have drawn designs on the exteriors and then did the liquid mask thing. I am not very good with the knife staying true to the lines and also feel like I am overs-coring into the bodies(Is there a proper technique for this?)This combined with the crappy designs in the 1st place leaves me with stuff that looks NOTHING like I see on here....My question here is what other options do I have. Paint masks? Can I buy them pre-done? What is involved in doing it myself? Are plotters expensive? Can I find someone local to do this for me. What do I need to ask them about if they are just sign people? Anything else I should know about this aspect of it?
Hey shawn..i didnt know you were on here..im the kid with the other shawn at the indoor track..lol
Old 05-03-2011, 04:12 PM
Tech Addict

vinyl paint mask...... Beacon Graphix is a great place to purchase

http://www.beacongraphics.com/bgllc/...%2D002&eq=&Tp=
Old 05-03-2011, 07:08 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I create custom paint mask for people, Avery high grade vinyl, no bleeding or residue. No setup fees, $12 for a 9x12" sheet plus $3 shipping.

[email protected]. I have most RC logos ready to cut. I'll even convert pictures into vector format if you own a cutter.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (99%+)

Just a few thoughts, I use and cut my own vinyl. Its great for logos, numbers and some graphics; but laying out complex vinyl graphics is not simple and just can be a downright pia on some bodies. Most of the great works you see here are the result of many yrs of practice and hundreds of shells that were painted before. Like you I struggle with designs as I'm not very artisticly inclined, but with lots of practice you can find a style that suites you and your skills. I've been shooting for two yrs and I'm just now starting to develop a design style that works for me. If you enjoy the painting just keep practicing and it will come.
Old 05-04-2011, 11:16 AM
Tech Addict

Yeah laying the mask can sometimes really be a pain in the *$#..

If you break it up into smaller sections though and piece it together on the body its not so bad. Here are a few examples of some detailed mask that I make. A lot of times i'll cut the whole mask then take the xacto or sissors to it and chop it into small pieces. Makes it easier to get it on and around all those cool air scoops/vents the manufactures put on..

Notice the think black outline around the tribal. Not easy to keep together when going around complex corners

Once again you can see that the pinstrip and the center lifted slightly as there is some dark blue in the flame.

I do however like using mask as it allows me to re-create someones paint job in a matter of min. Plus your not cutting on the body itself and we all know how fragile bodies can be. I dont care how carfull you are it will split if you score it with the xacto... So for my customers its easy duplication of the bodies for me and the fact that a paint line wont split on them.
Old 05-04-2011, 11:34 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks for the reply...a quick question on the 1st pic. How did you paint the black outline. Would you do that last? Maybe after you have painted and backed the others?
Old 05-04-2011, 11:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

look him up on youtube, he posted a video of him painting that very truck
Old 05-05-2011, 11:42 AM
Tech Addict

black was done after the silver......before the blue then white